Flame Hawk Aggression to New Exquisite Wrasse

Mercury2234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! First time posting here, although I may have posted earlier in the wrong sub forum. I’m just getting back to the hobby after a 10 year hiatus.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum and I'm looking for advice from the reef/fish community. About 48hrs ago I introduced an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (4") and surprisingly the FlameHawk (3") took aggression towards him (chases after him and pins the wrasse to a corner on top of the wavemaker). The Flame Hawk seemed to be the most chill, and at times, gets chased by both the Midas Blenny and Flame Angel. I purposely added the Fairy Wrasse after the Flame Hawk because if anything, I thought the wrasse would pick on the Flame Hawk (as past posts have shown ).

Do you have any suggestions on what to do? Or rather, is this normal and eventually they'll get along once the hierarchical aggression subsides? Right now, the wrasse just lays on top of the wavemaker for most of the day, but he is still very motivated to come out and eat (one of the more aggressive eaters). No signs of fin tears or anything. The wrasse is too fast for the Flame Hawk to catch, and the Flame Hawk usually stays in his cave.

Since i don't have corals, I was thinking of turning off the lights for the first week or so and see if that helps. Also perhaps a mirror would work?

If needed, I can also move the Flame Hawk to my observation tank for a week and see if that helps.

Tank Parameters:
62g Lagoon (48.5”L x 18.5”W x 15.75”H)
Tank Mates: (1) Flame Angel, (1) Clown, (1) Midas Blenny, (1) Flame Hawk
Tank Established: ~3 months

Note: Zero aggression (for now) from the Flame Angel, Clown, or Midas Blenny towards the wrasse

Thanks in advance for any advice

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please look into the use of an acclimation box. It doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive. But it really reduces aggression

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame hawk try to own the tank. Started aggressively going after any new fish I put in the tank.

I finally decided to remove it.

Putting it in the observation tank will make the fish have to be the newest one when you put it back and usually makes them calm.

That’s worth a try if you really want to have the flame hawk.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dank.reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The acclimation box works well I use it any time I add new fish. I just leave the new fish in there for 3-4 days or until the other fish show no interest. I also like to put a rock in the box with the fish so they have someplace to hide as new additions they are generally stressed out. Also if keeping lots of fish, NSA rockwork while visually attractive provides very little in the way of hiding spots and reducing fish aggression. Even with these issues considered as long as the flame hawk isn't causing physical damage to the exquisite then they will likely sort it out.

My starry blenny tormented the heck out of my watchman for the first month or so. The watchman spent the first 3 weeks hiding by the power head then the next 3 in his hole in the sand only coming out at night. I was getting ready to give him away and then 1 day I saw the 2 sitting next to each other peacfully. Sometimes it just takes time. My flame angel and yellow wrasse went at it for a month or so as well now they cruise around and forage together. It was like the flame angel was telling the wrasse we are gonna be pals weather you like it or not. It was actually kinda funny the wrasse and flame angel would get into it and the scopas tang would dart in and split it up. It was a battle royal for about a month now everyone plays nice. It seems to take about a month for the tank to settle down after any new additions. They just need to figure out the pecking order. It seems that everytime I get to my wits end and decide thats it this fish has to go! They chill out.

dank.reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a flame hawk try to own the tank. Started aggressively going after any new fish I put in the tank.

I finally decided to remove it.

Putting it in the observation tank will make the fish have to be the newest one when you put it back and usually makes them calm.

That’s worth a try if you really want to have the flame hawk.
Its a case by case basis. My flame hawk is a model citizen and doesn't bother any other fish and has great personality. He seems to interact more with me than any other fish.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed my new one into a box but then felt guilty as I fed the tank because he was wanting to go after food outside the box. Was only for a few hours. Guess I'm a sucker...

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. I have a flame hawk and it’s in w 5 other fish they are all established, pecking order. I did have to add a male bimac to pair w my female. To ease the aggression I used an acclimation box for a week or so. No ill effects to fish, and when it was allowed to free swim it was like he wasn’t there and lol he became a Lt. each fish is different but this was my exp. Good luck

OP
OP
Mercury2234

Mercury2234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone’s feedback! Quick update, I tapped a mirror outside the tank and the Flame Hawk instantly took interest in. It lasted about 48hrs or so in which the aggression to the Fairy Wrasse greatly subsided. Not sure if the mirror solved it or just time in the tank. Every once in a while the Flame Hawk may still chase the Fairy Wrasse but nowhere near like before.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back