75 Gallon Upgrade Build

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I wanted to start documenting this tank build. I actually purchased a 90-gallon reef ready from Marketplace a few weeks ago, the scratches were beyond what my husband and I could repair, so we cleaned up the stand and looked for a new 90-gallon, but only found a 75-gallon to put on top of it. I kept the lighting (for now), but everything else that came with that 90 gallon is gone. Here are the before and after pics...

Before and after.jpg

We started work on the sump/fuge yesterday and finished up today. The silicone is still drying. I had a tricky time finding some simple refugium DIY setups, but finally found this on ebay of all places...

Fuge sketch.jpg

The listing was for 20 lbs miracle mineral mangrove mud live sand rock refugium aquarium substrate https://ebay.us/SE4u8Z

So, we were trying to figure out a good way to filter macroalgae from exiting the fuge yet still keeping some good flow, so we put together a wall with an opening and a J bracket to hold the egg carton and mesh. This is what it looks like...

Fuge wall 3.jpg

Fuge wall 1.jpg

Fuge wall 5.jpg

This wall and the other walls within the fuge are 3/4 inch plexiglass which we siliconed into the fuge.

This is what it looks like at this moment...

Sump fuge new.jpg

Tomorrow we are adding sand and rock. I'll list specs and cycle updates soon...

Input and feedback is always appreciated! I am by no means an expert.

Thanks everyone for reading and for letting me share my journey with you!!!

90 Gallon from Marketplace.jpg Current 75 gallon with stand from 90.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back