OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this mess is the Apex and electrical. It’s actually organized chaos. Honestly I don’t care about colour matching or tying cables in pretty bows. The neater I make it, the harder it is to add components. But nothing here is tangled. It all hangs freely. The board on the side will have and old iPad with the Neptune app. I just haven’t added it yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t updated in a while because of a minor setback. Basically I lost almost every fish to velvet so now I’m on the process of catching the remaining fish. Once I get that sorted I’ll start to process of obtaining new fish and doing full QT on them. I can’t add any new fish until it runs fallow.

OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the trap I’m using. I have no idea if it will work.

The refugium is filled and it’s filthy. The thing is, a big, dirty refugium makes the dinoflagellates go away. All anecdotal but it’s worked for me every time.

One of my next moves is to skin the stand and cover up these pipes. Once skinned, those Apex modules will be mounted under the stand. They’re 1Links that control the WAVs. No more wires.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My kind of tank and great job on the build !!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven’t updated in a while because of a minor setback. Basically I lost almost every fish to velvet so now I’m on the process of catching the remaining fish. Once I get that sorted I’ll start to process of obtaining new fish and doing full QT on them. I can’t add any new fish until it runs fallow.
Oh no and the school of anthias looked SOOOO cool !!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
nice build, i love the school of anthias... I think I will have to add a few more into my setup..
I thought the same. They can be real jerks when addition of smaller ones are introduced-

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the velvet outbreak. How do you find accessing the front of the tank is for maintenance? I want to build a 4 wide 30" deep tank but I am worried that I won't be able to get at anything to clean it?

Thanks!

OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the velvet outbreak. How do you find accessing the front of the tank is for maintenance? I want to build a 4 wide 30" deep tank but I am worried that I won't be able to get at anything to clean it?

Thanks!
It can be hard to reach the bottom further into the tank so I use a grabby stick. But I wouldn’t change it. 30” is a good height.

OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through the process of restocking the tank with fishes. Currently I have 4 chromis, 3 wrasses, 2 cardinals. I’m “testing” the tank for parasites by adding 8 more chromis. Since velvet wiped out the tank before and these left over fishes are now “immune”, (un)hopefully it will kill the new chromis if it’s still in there. If they do okay, the remaining fishes I have in QT will go in shortly.
In QT I have the following:
8 blue/green chromis and a maroon clown pair:

These are unmediated, strictly tank transfer.

6 Diadem Anthias:

These are TTM since Anthias don’t like QT.

This cess pool has 1 powderblue tang, 5 lyretail anthias, 2 pink streak wrasses, 1 yellow coris wrasse, 1 lawnmower blenny:

This tank has copper and antibiotics. The antibiotics cloud the water a lot. The source for these fish is not trusted (in fact its distrusted) so I went the copper route to eradicate velvet. The antibiotic is because anthias can get weird fuzzy lesions that develop often weeks after introduction. Normally I’d just TTM and see how it turns out but I don’t want to lose the pink wrasses (too hard to find) or the PB tang (too many die).

Not a great update but I’m eager to get the anthias collection restarted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of all the fishes in QT I only lost a diadem anthias and the lawnmower blenny. The rest are in the tank except the maroon pair who I’d likely regret adding. I also have a chevron tang and 4 bimaculatus anthias in QT.
I added an Apex Trident so I’ve been monitoring the alkalinity. It takes 600 mL of solution to keep the alkalinity stable. That’s about 90g of sodium carbonate. It seems high but my calcium and magnesium stay constant so I don’t think anything is precipitating out. I might be wrong.
I think it’s time to buy that calcium reactor.

OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the PB tang only to find out today that it has ich. Oh well. I can tolerate ich. The remaining fishes made it through observation so I just added them in.
6 truncate anthias
4 bimaculatus anthias
1 chevron tang
1 lawnmower blenny
1 pink streak wrasse (who has disappeared; maybe dead)
5 diadem anthias (but looks like 3)
3 lyretail anthias

We’ll see how things go.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My kind of tank. Bigger is better. What are Your dimensions? Looks similar to mine, maybe a little longer!
Looks great and love the schoolers !!

OP
OP
M

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kind of tank. Bigger is better. What are Your dimensions? Looks similar to mine, maybe a little longer!
Looks great and love the schoolers !!
Thanks! The tank is 120 x48x30. This week I’m getting the last of the fishes that were on my list. After that we’ll see if any novel anthias pop up in a shop that catch my eye. Otherwise that’s it. Once everything new is out of QT I’ll post pics.
I love the schoolers as well. It just feels like it makes more sense in a big tank versus the more random assortment in my little 225.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back