75g plan

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mom has been talking a lot about getting a big tank downstairs, and that would give me an opprutunity to upgrade. im thinking an agressive community. some fish i want are the following: *= must have

*any rhinecanthus trigger (named rip)

*odonus niger (named tear)

Canthigaster solandri (mabye upgrade him)

Lo vulpinis

uh idk what else

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could do all this or a solo undulatus 'death machine' triggerfish possibly. i like the rhinecanthus and odonus genus because they grow extremely slowly.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhinecanthus do grow slowly and if you get a really small one, may live for quite a few years in a 75g before getting too big or too aggressive. The niger on the other hsnd grows really fast and will outgrow a 75g less than 2 years if gotten as an itty bitty. The Canthigaster solandri will be fine. Any of the small pebbletooth eels would work.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhinecanthus do grow slowly and if you get a really small one, may live for quite a few years in a 75g before getting too big or too aggressive. The niger on the other hsnd grows really fast and will outgrow a 75g less than 2 years if gotten as an itty bitty. The Canthigaster solandri will be fine. Any of the small pebbletooth eels would work.
whats a pebbletooth eel, good to know about the niger trigger, can you keep 2 rhinecanthus of different species together? i like all the species, my favorite is rectangulatus & 2nd fav is bursa

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, whats the most cost effective way to stock a 75g with things like coral. im considering gorgonians but that rules out the puffer, i think that all the predators rule it out anyway though cause they are pretty small & slow. also, ive seen way too many valentini puffers get eaten in ocean documentaries, idk why its them always. im shooting for like christmas 2022 to start the tank so i have a ton of time to decide

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty much all i need is

tank and stand $300, stand might be less than $100 but incase i need to buy/rent some tools to make it better or i do something fancy. honestly could be free if my mom's friend loans me the wood and his chopsaw

big diy protein skimmer $200 max

powerheads $100 pondforse ftw

rodi unit, salt, and ato $200-$300

live rock is outta the question but i will get like ipsf biodiversity and seed some stuff in the tank, my 10g will be crawling with stuff by winter

Sand & rock $150 i might get the sugar fine play sand that you can buy at home depot and mortar rocks to fill the tank i will need a dsb for the eel so it would be more convenient to use play sand

light $500

heater is free cause i got a eheim 300w sitting in my room

so all this is about like $1600, when i start the tank out i might wait on the light. i am saving $300 this summer, in the fall i might get a job, & with bday money & grade money i should in theroy be able to afford the whole setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back