75gal centerpiece ideas

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are absolutely beautiful fish but requires pods for food. They can quickly diminish a tank of pods so be prepared to have to supplement by buying live pods.

Some dragonettes can be trained to eat sinking food. It’s not guaranteed but people have done it

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are absolutely beautiful fish but requires pods for food. They can quickly diminish a tank of pods so be prepared to have to supplement by buying live pods.

Some dragonettes can be trained to eat sinking food. It’s not guaranteed but people have done it
I have heard the captive breed ones from biota eat frozen food

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All this + you can also feed them baby brine shrimp. Look for threads here with a @Paul B feeder. Very easy to grow them and feed them that way

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did eventually. But I wouldn't count on it. Be prepared for what happens if they don't.

OP
OP
nature_niko

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thanks for the info. I’ve seen people raise baby brine shrimp, I think I could do that.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the captive breed ones from biota eat frozen food
They claim they do, but the captive biota ones are literally less than an inch, and shipping and changing tanks is stressful and scary, and they are shy. Sometime they revert back to their natural diet and have to be retrained to frozen. I’ve heard of biota ones both eating and not eating frozen food. OP (or anyone) should have healthy pod population in case they get a picky one

bgray98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking for suggestions on a centerpiece for a 75gal. I got a great suggestion already for a yellow tang. Does anyone have a few other ideas? Thank you.
I have a nice orange back fairy wrasse in my 75g! Wrasses are a good addition!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank for you to have a tang and a fox face?
This is my 90s sock list
2 ocellaris clowns
2 bangaii cardinals
Melanurus wrasse
Blue Star leopard wrasse
Orange spot Blenny
Hectors goby
Pearly Jawfish
Blue bristletooth tang
One spot Foxface

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they will eat frozen food?
Mine does. I feed a mix of frozen for herbivores/omnivores, reef plankton , mysis, and a carnivore mix alternating combo but always adding the veggie mix. My foxy is a big eater and there plenty to graze on in the tank as well

OP
OP
nature_niko

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing! I always in any tank get a fish that eats algae for the convenience of not cleaning it! Now I know a nice one!

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (my plan was he’d be my centerpiece). I had 3 Bangaii Cardinals - 2 of them didn't like the 3rd after they paired up and harassed him - he’s now gone, never found a trace of him after being out of town for a few days.

I added a one spot Foxface about a year ago, he’s now a bit bigger than the Tang. The Tang can be a bit of a bully - he tried harassing the foxface. A couple of days flashing the spines put an end to that. They are best buddies now - foxface follows the Tang around. Both are total wusses and hide when I walk up to the tank.

After having the Tang for about a year and a half now - and watched him bully a couple of Diamond Gobies - I’m not real fond of him. In hindsight, I’d rather have a few more colorful wrasses in his place.

I love the foxface and his bright color. While I’ve read and heard many people say they don’t work well in a 75, I’ve also heard some say it works fine. So far so good for me.

Not a fan of the Bangaii. I liked them at first because they reminded me of the fresh water angels I had as a kid. What I’m finding is, they don’t do much and their color doesn’t stand out - which was one of my reasons for wanting to try saltwater - colorful fish!

Love my Solar Wrasse and his beautiful colors and I like my clowns - just wish they didn’t hang out in the back of the tank behind the rock all of the time.

2 years in and I’m also finding I may like the coral more than the fish (at some point you can’t add more fish) - though I now can’t walk out of the lfs without bringing a coral home.

Good luck in your decisions. It’s tough as I’ve found what I thought I wanted changed as I learned and experienced more as I wrote above with my fish.

One last lesson learned, I now regret bringing GSP into my tank - I like how it looks and moves, but it just spreads! As I read in another post, “I can’t recommend in good conscience that anyone bring this into their system”, or something to that effect.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years in and I’m also finding I may like the coral more than the fish
For me 20 years in and I felt the same way. I must have bad luck, all fish for me end up causing some kind of issue so I ended up keeping light fish load for a while, 3 cardinals and a fire fish. And now the cardinals started EATING acan, Duncan, hammer, and torch. They had to be removed and put in a coral free tank.

I have one fire fish now and I’m trying no again with a few more fish this week in hope of finding food source (poop) and peace for my corals

OP
OP
nature_niko

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (my plan was he’d be my centerpiece). I had 3 Bangaii Cardinals - 2 of them didn't like the 3rd after they paired up and harassed him - he’s now gone, never found a trace of him after being out of town for a few days.

I added a one spot Foxface about a year ago, he’s now a bit bigger than the Tang. The Tang can be a bit of a bully - he tried harassing the foxface. A couple of days flashing the spines put an end to that. They are best buddies now - foxface follows the Tang around. Both are total wusses and hide when I walk up to the tank.

After having the Tang for about a year and a half now - and watched him bully a couple of Diamond Gobies - I’m not real fond of him. In hindsight, I’d rather have a few more colorful wrasses in his place.

I love the foxface and his bright color. While I’ve read and heard many people say they don’t work well in a 75, I’ve also heard some say it works fine. So far so good for me.

Not a fan of the Bangaii. I liked them at first because they reminded me of the fresh water angels I had as a kid. What I’m finding is, they don’t do much and their color doesn’t stand out - which was one of my reasons for wanting to try saltwater - colorful fish!

Love my Solar Wrasse and his beautiful colors and I like my clowns - just wish they didn’t hang out in the back of the tank behind the rock all of the time.

2 years in and I’m also finding I may like the coral more than the fish (at some point you can’t add more fish) - though I now can’t walk out of the lfs without bringing a coral home.

Good luck in your decisions. It’s tough as I’ve found what I thought I wanted changed as I learned and experienced more as I wrote above with my fish.

One last lesson learned, I now regret bringing GSP into my tank - I like how it looks and moves, but it just spreads! As I read in another post, “I can’t recommend in good conscience that anyone bring this into their system”, or something to that effect.
What do you think is a good replacement for the cardinal fish I was planning in my tank?

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you like. Lots of people love cardinals. I’d look at some compatibile wrasses if it were me. Lots of different colors available. Lots of variety of clowns too, but probably only 2 in a 75 gallon. I like the DaVinci Grade B and DaVinci Extremes. I have an Oscellaris and a DaVinci Extreme.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back