OP
nature_niko

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you like. Lots of people love cardinals. I’d look at some compatibile wrasses if it were me. Lots of different colors available. Lots of variety of clowns too, but probably only 2 in a 75 gallon. I like the DaVinci Grade B and DaVinci Extremes. I have an Oscellaris and a DaVinci Extreme.
Thanks! What type of wrasse would you recommend?

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a bristletail filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) for any saltwater tank. The one I have currently is a captive bred one from ORA. He has the best personality of any fish I have. He has nipped at corals now and then but for the most part he leaves them alone.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a bristletail filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) for any saltwater tank. The one I have currently is a captive bred one from ORA. He has the best personality of any fish I have. He has nipped at corals now and then but for the most part he leaves them alone.

I had an ora one also and he started nipping corals occasionally then he started to actually eat Duncan and torch coral. I would not say it’s coral safe

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what about a white tail kole tang? I believe minimum for those are 70g (its a bristletooth tang) very nice looking fish imo

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse would be a great choice.

As for the foxface, I also think it's best to avoid. I had one in a 4' 120 for a couple years. It was tiny when I got it. The bigger the fish got the more shy it became. It was probably 5" or 6" when I moved it into a 300DD. After that I noticed a big change in its personality. It was more active and much less shy. They still startle easily regardless but having the extra space made a big difference. It quickly reached a size of about 9" long and around 1" thick.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are incredible fish! They need to be kept in odd numbers. 1, 3, 5 etc
And only 1 male. The rest females. Stores know this and sell them sexed

1 male and 2 females works great for a 75. Its a group that will interact with each other, be out in the open all the time and add a ton of color and personality.

the ones in my pic are lyretail anthias
Those are all lyre tails? Even the purple one, or is that the lighting (then why are the others red?)?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm learning about them as I think they (and yours!) are beautiful.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple / red is the male and the females are golden colored

The blue fish are chromis

Attachments

• F8DF9997-9C8E-490C-A0BD-4ED3217CD9F4.png
    F8DF9997-9C8E-490C-A0BD-4ED3217CD9F4.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 11

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no male in the group a female will transition to male. That picture might be one in the middle of that process. Tbh I’m not really sure as I haven’t witnessed this happen.

I am sure that the one in my photo is a true male lyretail anthia

markhasbostons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really aren’t any. Our 75 is to small. A school needs many fish like a dozen so the aggression so spread out better, and more space so the one being chased has more room to flee and get away

Closest i can get to work are anthia and cardinal fish. But cardinals don’t really swim much, they just hover and stare and occasionally chase. And the anthia don’t school but they do hang out together sometimes and interact peacefully

Schooling isn’t a peaceful social thing, it’s a defensive thing. They school so if a predator comes there is a better chance of an individual surviving. There is a thread on schooling I saw in the last day or two, I believe it was for a larger tank and said they need to introduce an aggressive fish to encourage others to school
These are Great Fish! Simple and captive bred. They contrast with colorful corals beautifully IMO. I would go with no more than 3. Also, the Tang I would recommend would be the Tomini Tang "Bristletooth," as they stay small and would serve a purpose. They love Algae and would keep the Cardinals in check. Good Luck in whatever you decide!! https://reefchasers.com/blogs/reef-chasers-marine-fish-guides/bristletooth-tomini-tang-care-guide

Last edited:
OP
OP
nature_niko

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are Great Fish! Simple and captive bred. They contrast with colorful corals beautifully IMO. I would go with no more than 3. Also, the Tang I would recommend would be the Tomini Tang "Bristletooth," as they stay small and would serve a purpose. They love Algae and would keep the Cardinals in check. Good Luck in whatever you decide!! https://reefchasers.com/blogs/reef-chasers-marine-fish-guides/bristletooth-tomini-tang-care-guide
Thanks for telling me a bit more about the cardinals! Also thank you for the tang reccomendation!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back