76 Day Fallow but expecting fish

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, so i currently had a pretty bad Ich/Velvet outbreak in my tank which wiped out everything in my tank. I'm currently in day 12-13 of fallow and recently purchased fish from Dr. Reef... me expecting a 2–3-month delay when id actually receive the fish due to quarantine/care i ordered it anyways. I just got an update from the seller saying it should be sent out in a week or two because the fish are already on hand ready..... So due to this what should i do with my tank? i know i need to let it sit for a while fishless... is there any alternative ways? 100% water change? anything? I also dont have a huge budget or room to buy a quarantine/holding tank so hopefully that can be a last resort

Thanks for taking the time....

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A)Set up a quarantine tank to put them in while you ride out the fallow period.
B)I'm assuming the tank still has inverts in it, if not, you could think about draining it, cleaning it, refilling and recycling it.
C)Probably the easiest, call Dr Reef, let him know what's going on and ask him if he can hold the fish until the end of March. In fact, he could even sell those ones and QT some new ones for you so he's not sitting on inventory.

Unless the tank is just water and rocks and not overly well established, I think your best bet is A or C.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would quit buying fish till you have a plan to care for them.. better to not order fish than not have a plan. Do you have a reefer friend, if so he probably has a QT tank. A good lfs that works with you maybe? still not following why cant you hook up a QT , do you never plan to QT? no wonder you got Velvet.

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A)Set up a quarantine tank to put them in while you ride out the fallow period.
B)I'm assuming the tank still has inverts in it, if not, you could think about draining it, cleaning it, refilling and recycling it.
C)Probably the easiest, call Dr Reef, let him know what's going on and ask him if he can hold the fish until the end of March. In fact, he could even sell those ones and QT some new ones for you so he's not sitting on inventory.

Unless the tank is just water and rocks and not overly well established, I think your best bet is A or C.
i really dont have room for option A... how would i go about draining and cleaning out the tank? just take all the water out and put new water in? id also have to cycle the tank again right?

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would quit buying fish till you have a plan to care for them.. better to not order fish than not have a plan. Do you have a reefer friend, if so he probably has a QT tank. A good lfs that works with you maybe? still not following why cant you hook up a QT , do you never plan to QT? no wonder you got Velvet.
chill dude, on the website it clearly states that it takes up to 2-3 months to even receive the fish because they first have too receive the fish, quarantine, and ship out. I wasn't expecting a 15 day turn around. and no i wasnt planning on doing a quarantine because i dont have room as i clearly stated.... the last fish i bought were said to be "fully quarantined" but that obviously wasnt the case....

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really dont have room for option A... how would i go about draining and cleaning out the tank? just take all the water out and put new water in? id also have to cycle the tank again right?
You'd have to not only drain it, but clean the tank (though IIRC, 24h being dry will kill a lot of things) and the substrate and rocks.Honestly, I wouldn't suggest that unless the tank was so new that it wouldn't be a big deal.
Plus, keep in mind that when you're fallow, you can still add non-fish livestock. So you can still bring in corals, snails, urchins etc.
If you don't have space for a QT, I'd suggest you contact Dr Reef and see about postponing your delivery and use that time to do other non-fish related things.

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to not only drain it, but clean the tank (though IIRC, 24h being dry will kill a lot of things) and the substrate and rocks.Honestly, I wouldn't suggest that unless the tank was so new that it wouldn't be a big deal.
Plus, keep in mind that when you're fallow, you can still add non-fish livestock. So you can still bring in corals, snails, urchins etc.
If you don't have space for a QT, I'd suggest you contact Dr Reef and see about postponing your delivery and use that time to do other non-fish related things.
okay, there isnt stuff to buy that will speed up the process? like ich-x or anything?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, so i currently had a pretty bad Ich/Velvet outbreak in my tank which wiped out everything in my tank. I'm currently in day 12-13 of fallow and recently purchased fish from Dr. Reef... me expecting a 2–3-month delay when id actually receive the fish due to quarantine/care i ordered it anyways. I just got an update from the seller saying it should be sent out in a week or two because the fish are already on hand ready..... So due to this what should i do with my tank? i know i need to let it sit for a while fishless... is there any alternative ways? 100% water change? anything? I also dont have a huge budget or room to buy a quarantine/holding tank so hopefully that can be a last resort

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
Hold off with fish and new Fallow period is 45-50 days. If no livestock, you can gradually build temperature to 91 degrees, but Id just follow the fallow period patiently.
If you know it was positively Velvet, with the Fallow period you can add ruby Rally Pro as an insurance step and it is reef safe, again- not necessary
The important thing is to add NO fish and wait it out. The longer the trophants have no host to feed on, the more successful you will be in getting rid of them. Weekly, giving the sand a VERY LIGHT siphoning will remove dead ones and any eggs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
okay, there isnt stuff to buy that will speed up the process? like ich-x or anything?
Nothing is Sped up or fast in marine aquaria. Fast = Disaster

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chill dude, on the website it clearly states that it takes up to 2-3 months to even receive the fish because they first have too receive the fish, quarantine, and ship out. I wasn't expecting a 15 day turn around. and no i wasnt planning on doing a quarantine because i dont have room as i clearly stated.... the last fish i bought were said to be "fully quarantined" but that obviously wasnt the case....
so explain how they ship you fish in 15 days when it clearly states 2-3 months. Hmm.. you question everyone telling you that your tank needs to go fallow for some time before adding more fish and you ignore that, but you accept the obviously non QT fish. OK..... we seem to have different views of QT, good luck,

if you add the new fish to your display no matter what snake oil potion you throw in with them they will get flukes, you need to let the tank go fallow for longer than what you think not shorter.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
I’d reach out to Dr. Reef. I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t work with you on some alternative - either holding the fish for you for longer (maybe at some cost to you), or re-listing them for sale and getting your order in later.

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so explain how they ship you fish in 15 days when it clearly states 2-3 months. Hmm.. you question everyone telling you that your tank needs to go fallow for some time before adding more fish and you ignore that, but you accept the obviously non QT fish. OK..... we seem to have different views of QT, good luck,

if you add the new fish to your display no matter what snake oil potion you throw in with them they will get flukes, you need to let the tank go fallow for longer than what you think not shorter.
The fish that i ordered that became available so fast were pre-quarantined... meaning the fish are usually more frequently bought so he already had them quarantined and ready to go... not my fault he had them ready so fast

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
Just call Mike. He's easy to deal with. I'd wait until the tank is open and ready to take delivery. There's no reason to maintain an extra tank for that time.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish that i ordered that became available so fast were pre-quarantined... meaning the fish are usually more frequently bought so he already had them quarantined and ready to go... not my fault he had them ready so fast

If they are that frequently bought and not special then call them up and either hold or cancel order.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

" obviously non QT fish"

You clearly have No idea what you're talking about.

Mike keeps a Stock on hand of popular fish quarantined and Ready to Go. When somebody orders one unique fish, He will often bring in two or three.

Yes his website does take you through the quarantine process, But nowhere doesn't say it's guaranteed to take two to three months.

Take a breath. This isn't Reddit.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - there really isn't any way to clear a tank fast of disease propagules that won't require a complete reset/recycling of the tank's biofilter. Anything less than 45 days at 81 degrees F. stands a pretty good chance of having some disease carryover, especially in a tank that had a wipeout (more disease propagules are present in that case).

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - there really isn't any way to clear a tank fast of disease propagules that won't require a complete reset/recycling of the tank's biofilter. Anything less than 45 days at 81 degrees F. stands a pretty good chance of having some disease carryover, especially in a tank that had a wipeout (more disease propagules are present in that case).

Jay
Ive had my tank at 81 for 13 days now and im slowly increasing to around 86... will the 45-50 day fallow work?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my tank at 81 for 13 days now and im slowly increasing to around 86... will the 45-50 day fallow work?

It works most of the time, I use that time frame on my systems. You need to ensure that any invertebrates in the tank can handle 86 degrees though.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back