76 Day Fallow but expecting fish

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The forum is trying to help you, but you seem to want to ignore sound advice. Please take a step back, think about everything that was posted here and take the sound advise and cancel your order. We all wish you the best of luck, but you need to really to think this through.

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really only have 4 options:
1. Best option would be canceling the order.
2. Set up QT and put your new fishes in QT
3. Drain your display, dry everything then start over
4. Nuke your DT with copper given that you have no corals/inverts

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don’t have any corals and such I would be turning the em heat up. I have run empty observation tanks at 90 just to speed up and clear parasites. It doesn’t seem to harm the bio filter.

Just remember to turn the heat back down before you add fish.

Rushing may bite you in the butt.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to be constructive and supportive here. I am writing this to myself, circa three years ago basically. Follow the advice you are getting here (even by those with less patience than me). Do not rush anything. Think very hard about whether you truly, truly "do not have room" for a simple QT setup. Because nothing good and permanent happened to my display tank until I began basic QT protocol in a 20 gallon tank. Night and day difference. I don't go to lfs anymore. I have 30 fish in a 200 DT, no deaths in 2 years. I am out of the fish buying market, probably permanently.

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well velvet "might be gone" but ich will still be there they say around 76 days min fallow for ich.
There is new advice on ich fallow's. Humble has now said you could reduce it to 6 weeks at approx. 80.6F and it is like 4 weeks if at 86F.

Then you are at no more risk than doing the standard 72.

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish that i ordered that became available so fast were pre-quarantined... meaning the fish are usually more frequently bought so he already had them quarantined and ready to go... not my fault he had them ready so fast
It is though, because his site is pretty clear:

How Long Before I Get My Fish?
If we already have your fish in stock then not so long; but if we have to find it and qt it then 30-45 days.

But anywho, just ask him. I am sure he will just push back you order and sell those fish to someone else. No big deal.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my tank at 81 for 13 days now and im slowly increasing to around 86... will the 45-50 day fallow work?
I'm not familiar with the 45 day method, but you should probably work on the assumption (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the 45 day countdown doesn't start until the correct temperature is reached. IOW, it's not that it has to hit 86f at some point during the 45 days, it's that it has to be 86f for 45 days.
But again, I could be wrong, I'm basing this on what I know about other methods.

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the 45 day method, but you should probably work on the assumption (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the 45 day countdown doesn't start until the correct temperature is reached. IOW, it's not that it has to hit 86f at some point during the 45 days, it's that it has to be 86f for 45 days.
But again, I could be wrong, I'm basing this on what I know about other methods.

Just to be clear Humble Fish believes me could now do:

80.6 F - 6 weeks

86 F - 2 weeks

86 is probably only realistic in a FOWLR tank. Inverts and coral are likely to be very unhappy at those temps. But for only two weeks, who knows. I know many have done 80.6 with little issue

These temp increases aren’t like copper though. The clock starts when the host is gone and going below said temp doesn’t restart the clock. If you wait 2 weeks to bump up to 80.6 you probably don’t need to go a full 6 weeks at that temp…but for simplicity sake and consistency you probably should to be safe. What I am doing is setting my controller for 82 so it never really goes below 81 and rarely goes over 82.5. This way I am always over 80.6.

Im guessing all you really need to do is average at least 80.6…but maybe I read the research wrong.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that you cannot add corals and inverts to a tank during fallow, unless they themselves have been qt’ed for 76 days. I added stuff during my fallow, and when fish went in, they got brook. Another 6 weeks of fallow for me…
I’ll also add that a qt tank is at some point or another going to be a necessity. I said I “didn’t have room” and lost my fish. I made room and haven’t lost anyone to disease since. There’s too much crap out there to be risky.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaredrah can you help me on some diagnostics pls

I spend days combing this forum for disease expression trending/in order to feedback to new cyclers in the new tanks forum/ and I'm curious how long has this reef been set up in total...how old is this tank where you are getting your disease preps all in line. Nice job seeking out the winning methods too, good job. how old is your tank

(we see trending indicating a strong majority of disease challenge tanks are under eight mos old, checking that here)

yours may be older / just checking off small patterns in a few of these posts today.

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaredrah can you help me on some diagnostics pls

I spend days combing this forum for disease expression trending/in order to feedback to new cyclers in the new tanks forum/ and I'm curious how long has this reef been set up in total...how old is this tank where you are getting your disease preps all in line. Nice job seeking out the winning methods too, good job. how old is your tank

(we see trending indicating a strong majority of disease challenge tanks are under eight mos old, checking that here)

yours may be older / just checking off small patterns in a few of these posts today.
my tank is about 4 months old and is cycled

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the input J

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back