$8.99 cleaner shrimp from Petco

  • Thread starter Thread starter jiffyjhn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Just remembered after I turned on the pump I went to my neighbors for for dinner and checked on the tank in the middle he seemed alive but was clinging onto the rock sideways in the sand. So maybe it wasn’t the pump.
 
Are your sure is dead? A molt after a WC is a classic thing. If it has molt - you will see him/her in a couple of days from now.

Sincerely Lasse
He is blown around in the current like a piece of debris so I thought he’s dead and put him in a container in case he comes back to life. Still not moving
 
Sometimes it is impossible to differ between the external skeleton after a molt and a dead shrimp. The fact that it was "blown" around indicate that what you see is an empty external skeleton. Just investigate the skeleton - if it is empty - you will probably see a healthy shrimp in a couple of days from now. The normally hide for a day or two - waiting for the new external skeleton to be hard enough

Sincerely Lasse
 
Sometimes it is impossible to differ between the external skeleton after a molt and a dead shrimp. The fact that it was "blown" around indicate that what you see is an empty external skeleton. Just investigate the skeleton - if it is empty - you will probably see a healthy shrimp in a couple of days from now. The normally hide for a day or two - waiting for the new external skeleton to be hard enough

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks. I have had cleaner shrimp before and have seen the molt skin(the first time I also thought the shrimp was dead, but I saw the real thing right away). This looks different and when I picked it out of the water felt solid. Will keep checking the tank hopefully you are right and I’ll find him at some point.
 
Next time just leave the external skeleton in the tank. Example a crab eats the exoskeleton for Minerals and calcium cause He is still a bit soft after the change..
 
Might be rushing things if tank just cycled two weeks ago, and you’re adding fish, shrimp and corals?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new