8 hour photo period else aglae?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few corals and thus I'm running light on after 2.5 months, new tank. After a few weeks of light, starting to see potential problems. Diatoms for sure.

Some say don't run more than 8 hours, or you will have algae problems.

Is this true?

I'm running the Kessil Spectral X controller, which has a built in preset that ramps up slowly, then ramps down. The total time the light is on is 12 hours, but peak intensity is about 3-4 hours. I've boosted the maximum intensity during the peaks, because I have SPS and Kessil says the default is for LPS/softies, as well as other data from BRS on par out of the A360WE, etc.- wanted more than 60% intensity.

Does photo period mean any light level- does the ramp up and down count?

There's material like this: https://www.redseafish.com/blog/light-intensity-photoperiod-relationship/

And in general, I have a pretty high degree of trust in Kessil's preset and the logic behind it, etc.

But I see quite a few people recommending 8 (sometimes 10) hours or else!

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12hrs is fine if it's a gradual ramp up/down. 4hrs max intensity also sounds good but I wouldn't ramp it up right away. If anything I'd tone it down for a bit while your corals get used to the light

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shorter photoperiod MAY be helpful for a very new tank and/or inexperienced hobbyist, but it’s not going to be any guarantee against algae growth. If you started your tank with dry rock and dry sand, you’re going to be in for some algae headaches. Even if you run 4 hours only with solid blue light, you’ll get some algae. Algae is less a result of a lengthy photoperiod, and more a result of a combination of other factors, often an immature tank with low biodiversity and a lack of efficient herbivores.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back