8-line wrasse good for pest control?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2022
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
4,825
Location
Grand Junction
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to keep a 6-line in my tanks when possible (like a crazy person) as a sort of "just in case" for pests I might miss. Well I recently lost my 6-line (dumb mistake on my part) and now have montipora eating nudibranchs. . . I haven't added new corals so I am thinking the 6-line must have been keeping them at bay since I never saw a single one until he died. So my question, assuming my tank is fine to add a fish (water change today and more testing to come), should I go with another 6-line OR my LFS has an 8-line they are trying to sell me. Will the 8-line (Pseudocheilinus octotaenia same family as 6-line?) eat pests all the same?
 
The 8-lined wrasse will eat pests. I can't say if they will be as good as a 6-line, but to be honest, that's just because 6-lined wrasse have a very good reputation for pest reduction.

Melenarus Wrasse and Springeri Damsels are also very good for pest reduction.
 
Second melenarus and springeri damsels. I typically keep them and/or yellow Coris wrasse in my tanks as a precaution. Had a terrible flatworm outbreak before I added these fish and outbreak was too big for them to deal with. Added blue velvet nudibranchs and they beat back the flatworms so now fish can keep them at bay. Don't have any more pests in display but will see them in the sump which doesn't bother me. Occasionally they make the trip to the display and are eaten immediately.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new