8' long tank - Spray bar or both end returns?

MjOB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am in the design phase for plumbing on my tank. It's 8' x 30" x 30" (~360 gallons) and I have a negative space aquascape. I'm going to have 2 returns, I am planning for 1 return (Abyzz a100) to be over-the-top on the left side of the tank - the overflow is on the left side of the tank. I plan on having 2 Stream 3's on the left side of the tank as well (along the far left wall - spaced so one is close to the front wall and the other close to the back wall)

The 2nd return (Varios-8) I'm debating on having placed in the middle of the far right wall vs a spray bar along the whole back.

With it in the middle of the far right wall, I would think the water would move along the front and back walls, and then return through the middle of the tank.
With a spray bar, I think I would minimize the risk of any dead spaces throughout the whole tank.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations on this?
Aquarium Plumbing.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can say is spray bars mostly work only for 2 feet max because they reduce too much flow. Id stick with the other ideas.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an 8-ft tank is going to require a lot more force being pushed through the returns, spray bars work well for.

For example I have a spray bar on a 30 gallon frag tank turning over 10x water volume.

I can barely feel the flow two feet away.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back