8 Year No Water Change Experiment Result

bms270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got to a point that it makes sense to share my findings on my 8 year experiment and get expert thoughts on how things have been evolving in my experiment.
I started my current reef tank in 2008 and followed most of the common practices of reef keeping in terms of water changes and other husbandry tasks. It is worth noting that my live rocks back in 2008 came mostly from another established tank so the origin of the organisms in my tank probably dates beyond 2008. In 2013 I decided to start experimenting with my tank to see what happens if I modify the common practices. The first thing I did was to remove the filter sock from my filtration system based on the assumption that it might be capturing micro organisms that could be beneficial to the system. I monitored the tank for any adverse effect but did not encounter any issues other than more loads on my skimmer. Around the same time, I stopped doing water changes as well sticking with cal/alk dosing only. As for exporting nutrients, I had my bio-pellet and GFO along with Carbon reactor only. My Nitrate slowly started to rise as expected as well as my phosphate. I was able to manage my phosphate to stay under 1ppm by replacing GFO every few months. Although I had bio-pellets, my Nitrate kept rising over the past 8 years. I have several Fish, softies and LPS in my tank and they all adapted to their environment. Green algae has been growing in small amount (thin film) on the back glass but thats about it. Pristine sand bend and clear live rocks covered in Coraline algae. Flash forward to last month, My Nitrate reached 800 ppm while my Phosphate was at 1.4 ppm. At those numbers I had no issues in the tank, no algae or sign of stress on the fish. So I randomly decided to test NoPox from RedSea to see how that can help me replace my GFO and Bio-Pellet with just dosing the NoPox. I know with those high numbers, my reactors were not doing much but something inside my head wanted to try NoPox. I started dosing NoPox gradually increasing to the recommended dose. After about a week, I started seeing some red algae (Cyano Maybe?) growing exponentially and now I see Fish and other corals are fully stressed and declining in health. I am planning to stop dosing NoPox to see if this trend can be reversed but here are my findings:

1. All my learnings tells me it is impossible to have any living organisms in 800ppm Nitrate. But from what I experienced, it looks like Nitrate alone is not able to cause any issues. This experiment led me to believe there is another contributing factor that might have been exhausted in the tank in the 8 years with no water change that essentially kept my 800 Nitrate harmless.
2. Every time I did GFO changes, I could see my phosphate going down to almost 0 and I could see significant reduction in the green algae film on the back glass. So this let me to think that minimal algae I have only feeds on phosphate and Nitrate did not play any role in their growth.
3. No signs of any stress on Fish or Corals in 800ppm.
3. Before I started dosing NoPox, I did an ICP test and nothing really stood out.
4. Looks like dosing NoPox is adding what I had exhausted in the tank which has enabled the Nitrate to do its harm. I can see the stress and significant algae growth now.
5. I will have to see how it goes if I stop the dosing but my guess is that whatever is added may not get exhausted in the near future. So that might mean an end to my experiment.

I am not an expert in water chemistry but would like to hear what expert thoughts are (Randy?)

My theory is that if we reduce another "unknown" factor in the tank, Nitrate can become harmless. I know it may sound strange but I thought its worth sharing my experiment.

Here's my tank info:

225 Gallon with 30G Sump
Bubble King Skimmer
Mag 18 Return Pump
No power head or wave maker
No Filter Sock
Bio-Pellet in TLF Reactor
GFO in TLF Reactor
Carbon in TLF Reactor
Purigen in TLF Reactor
Fish, Softies and LPS

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
800ppm nitrate and your fish and coral are still alive?

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

I'm also interested in what the chemistry masters have to say about this.

Every time I think I understand aquariums my feet get knocked out from under me.

Thanks, I hurt now.

OP
OP
B

bms270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
800ppm nitrate and your fish and coral are still alive?

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

I'm also interested in what the chemistry masters have to say about this.

Every time I think I understand aquariums my feet get knocked out from under me.

Thanks, I hurt now.
Yea, me too. I always found it hard to believe what we know about Nitrate and Phosphate is as easy as it seems. My Fish and Corals were all doing perfectly fine until the NoPox. No one could believe my tank hasn't seen a new salt in 8 years except a few times that I had to add salt to my top-off water to keep the Salinity stable due to salt being exported from my Skimmer.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read, for sure, and more power to you if you have built a better mousetrap. Of course one key to any experiment is to only change one (1) variable at a time, and it seems you have tried your best to do that. I hardly ever do water changes in my 150-gallon FOWLR tanks— but that is apples and oranges to your reef tank. Loved the photos. I applaud you! ;)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks can certainly have tanks where attrition acclimated organisms can survive. Dosing Carbon normally requires saltwater additions from skimmer removal, so a low level of water change.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always possible for creatures to adapt as long as the changes have been gradual over time which sounds like that is the case with your tank. I would have to assume there would be a tipping point at see point.

I'm curious... Did you add any livestock with these higher levels? If so how did you acclimate? I would think you couldn't put livestock used to 5ppm nitrate into a 800ppm tank without some sort of drawn out acclimation (but I could be wrong). This is an interesting thread. I hope your tank turns around after your nopox experience.

OP
OP
B

bms270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read, for sure, and more power to you if you have built a better mousetrap. Of course one key to any experiment is to only change one (1) variable at a time, and it seems you have tried your best to do that. I hardly ever do water changes in my 150-gallon FOWLR tanks— but that is apples and oranges to your reef tank. Loved the photos. I applaud you! ;)
Thanks, I did have rough times at the beginning with cyano overtaking at some point but never any issues with Fish and Corals. Past couple years, the tank has been on auto-pilot pretty much.. except now that I have to do something about algae outbreak happening..

OP
OP
B

bms270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always possible for creatures to adapt as long as the changes have been gradual over time which sounds like that is the case with your tank. I would have to assume there would be a tipping point at see point.

I'm curious... Did you add any livestock with these higher levels? If so how did you acclimate? I would think you couldn't put livestock used to 5ppm nitrate into a 800ppm tank without some sort of drawn out acclimation (but I could be wrong). This is an interesting thread. I hope your tank turns around after your nopox experience.
No addition in 8 years and no loss. I am sure they have been adapted but I can’t explain the sudden turn after NoPox addition. I am trying to figure out what has been added to the mix with NoPox that turned my 800ppm “Inactive” Nitrate to something that we all expect.

OP
OP
B

bms270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks can certainly have tanks where attrition acclimated organisms can survive. Dosing Carbon normally requires saltwater additions from skimmer removal, so a low level of water change.
Right and I was just trying to find an alternative to bio-pellets and GFO. Skimmer has always been maintained. I believe in skimmer ;) lol.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No addition in 8 years and no loss. I am sure they have been adapted but I can’t explain the sudden turn after NoPox addition. I am trying to figure out what has been added to the mix with NoPox that turned my 800ppm “Inactive” Nitrate to something that we all expect.
I'm following along in hopes you get an answer. I guess the challenge with a setup like yours (which I know isn't the point of your post) is that while it's possible to keep a thriving tank in these conditions it probably becomes extremely difficult to add anything new if you wanted to but it is amazing to see how life can adapt to such extreme environments. :) Hopefully the chemistry experts chime in.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A comment - which may or may not apply to you. Many things will 'live' in adverse conditions. @Paul B has said his tank - which looked 'great' - was in 160 ppm nitrates. However -not every organism will tolerate it - and - very few organisms will tolerate a change from 5 ppm nitrates to 800. SO - Congratulations - over 8 years - you have selected out the organisms that will tolerate your conditions. Its too bad we can't see the pictures from year 1 to 2, 3, etc etc - to year 8. My strong guess woudl be that there would be a considerable difference.

Nice looking tank though.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 10x 8 inch acro that grew up with my minimal water change tank, algae scrubbed. No other acro could stand the stress, I tried. I put it down to soft coral exudates, dunno.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in case you wonder how I measured 800 ppm... I had to dilute the tank water with 0 TDS RO water with 1/10 ratio to get 80ppm from test kits.
K ... have an issue with this. You used RO/DI for this ... this is going to drop the specific gravity to one tenth of it's correct value. I am pretty sure that this is going to be problem for the test.

Mix fresh salt water and dilute using that. Then come back with the number. I am willing to bet the number will be lower.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
K ... have an issue with this. You used RO/DI for this ... this is going to drop the specific gravity to one tenth of it's correct value. I am pretty sure that this is going to be problem for the test.

Mix fresh salt water and dilute using that. Then come back with the number. I am willing to bet the number will be lower.
This could be correct!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as i know salinity has no bearing on nitrate testing. And id assume its already off the charts for normal teating which is more than high enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back