80/20 aluminum stand

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dpmcfly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dpmcfly

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2015
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, starting a build on my deep blue 80g rimless. For the stand I decided to use 80/20 aluminum. Before I start to assemble, I just want to know if the profile is thick enough to to support the aquarium. I purchased the aluminum off of eBay. There's (6) 65" pieces and they're 1" squares. Any information on the stand will help. Thanks!
 
I'm not sure about aluminum because it's so soft. I had a stand made a while ago that had an internal frame of welded steel (1 inch square tube) which was then covered with a decorative aluminum facade. That was quite sturdy. Maybe double up the corners and don't make it unusually tall.
 
hey, starting a build on my deep blue 80g rimless. For the stand I decided to use 80/20 aluminum. Before I start to assemble, I just want to know if the profile is thick enough to to support the aquarium. I purchased the aluminum off of eBay. There's (6) 65" pieces and they're 1" squares. Any information on the stand will help. Thanks!
Do you know what the wall thickness is and the alloy of aluminum you bought? Those would be critical pieces of information before someone could give you good advice.
 
The material is plenty strong enough as long as you build it right. Lots of threads out there regarding stands from 80/20.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new