80/20 aluminum stand

Dpmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, starting a build on my deep blue 80g rimless. For the stand I decided to use 80/20 aluminum. Before I start to assemble, I just want to know if the profile is thick enough to to support the aquarium. I purchased the aluminum off of eBay. There's (6) 65" pieces and they're 1" squares. Any information on the stand will help. Thanks!

spinycheek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about aluminum because it's so soft. I had a stand made a while ago that had an internal frame of welded steel (1 inch square tube) which was then covered with a decorative aluminum facade. That was quite sturdy. Maybe double up the corners and don't make it unusually tall.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, starting a build on my deep blue 80g rimless. For the stand I decided to use 80/20 aluminum. Before I start to assemble, I just want to know if the profile is thick enough to to support the aquarium. I purchased the aluminum off of eBay. There's (6) 65" pieces and they're 1" squares. Any information on the stand will help. Thanks!
Do you know what the wall thickness is and the alloy of aluminum you bought? Those would be critical pieces of information before someone could give you good advice.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The material is plenty strong enough as long as you build it right. Lots of threads out there regarding stands from 80/20.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back