80 gallon rimless plumbing

aotwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Upgrading to an 80 gallon rimless soon, and as this is my first tank with a sump, I need some advice on plumbing. It has two holes drilled, one 1" and one 3/4". Was thinking of running the return over the side to have two drain pipes, but I would love to hear thoughts and advice on that, as well as things like gate valves, unions, etc.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Upgrading to an 80 gallon rimless soon, and as this is my first tank with a sump, I need some advice on plumbing. It has two holes drilled, one 1" and one 3/4". Was thinking of running the return over the side to have two drain pipes, but I would love to hear thoughts and advice on that, as well as things like gate valves, unions, etc.
With only 2 holes, that's what I would do. Drilled on the bottom, I assume? Use the 3/4 as a full siphon main drain and the 1 inch as the emergency drain. Put a strainer on the main. Add a gate valve between the tank and the sump on the main drain as well (NOT a ball valve). Depending on what type of return pump you have, you can add a gate valve there as well... While you might not ever use it, plumbing it in now will save you the work if you decide it's necessary later.
Do yourself a huge favor and add unions on both drains so you can more easily disassemble things if you need to make adjustments.
I have my current tank set up like this with the return running up the back (behind the overflow box) and over the rim. I used about a foot of tubing from the pump and then used pipe the rest of the way. PVC elbows over the rim.

OP
OP
A

aotwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only 2 holes, that's what I would do. Drilled on the bottom, I assume? Use the 3/4 as a full siphon main drain and the 1 inch as the emergency drain. Put a strainer on the main. Add a gate valve between the tank and the sump on the main drain as well (NOT a ball valve). Depending on what type of return pump you have, you can add a gate valve there as well... While you might not ever use it, plumbing it in now will save you the work if you decide it's necessary later.
Do yourself a huge favor and add unions on both drains so you can more easily disassemble things if you need to make adjustments.
I have my current tank set up like this with the return running up the back (behind the overflow box) and over the rim. I used about a foot of tubing from the pump and then used pipe the rest of the way. PVC elbows are the rim.
Thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back