80 Gallon Shallow Reef Build

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been away and not really around the hobby for a few years. I still have a 20 gallon reef that I recently fixed back up and well you all know how that goes!

Finally decided on building a shallow mixed reef, mostly zoa dominated and some sps.

Equipment :

Seapora 80 gallon rimless frag tank
2 - Vortech mp10qd
2 - Radion xr15 gen 4 (may add a 3rd)
Vortex Omega 130 skimmer
Syngery cl-34 Sump
Syngery 5 gal ato resevoir
Tunze 3155 ato
Eheim jager 200 watt heater

Stand will be made of steel and powder coated black or maybe white. Open on all sides. Going with the black and red themed sump and ato res from synergy.

Havent decided on a return pump, considering the ecotech m2 but would love suggestions.

I will be scaping with Marco rocks shelf rock for a minimalist look with a small layer of sand.

Occupants will be my 2 black ice snowflake clowns from the 20 gallon and a few wrasses and anthias.

Thanks guys and would love your feedback on equipment list, hasn't all been ordered yet.

Ps

If you are near hhi, sc and were wearing a blue #reef2reef shirt today I saw you getting as I was into my truck and took it as a sign to move forward with the tank build

Last edited:

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting the reef ready one or drilling it yourself. I have the same tank, only the deep blue one before they were bought out, and I drilled mine myself. I love the footprint of the tank.

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it because it looks clean. It has just a slim box in the back for the overflow. I might suggest a 10 gallon ATO reservoir. I have a 5 on mine and it needs filled every 2 days and it gets annoying. I ordered a 10 that will be here Wednesday.:)

OP
OP
c_healy

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it because it looks clean. It has just a slim box in the back for the overflow. I might suggest a 10 gallon ATO reservoir. I have a 5 on mine and it needs filled every 2 days and it gets annoying. I ordered a 10 that will be here Wednesday.:)

Yea I was looking into a c2c last night, the undrilled tanks cost more haha. The main factor I decided not to is the 5" I would have to move the tank off the wall and that really won't work for the chosen location.

Great idea and something I will be doing when I finally build my dream tank!

OP
OP
c_healy

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy cl-34 red mercury has been ordered!

Excited to see this all come together.

Tank should be here next week too!

Screenshot_20190505-173140_Chrome.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been away and not really around the hobby for a few years. I still have a 20 gallon reef that I recently fixed back up and well you all know how that goes!

Finally decided on building a shallow mixed reef, mostly zoa dominated and some sps.

Equipment :

Seapora 80 gallon rimless frag tank
2 - Vortech mp10qd
2 - Radion xr15 gen 4 (may add a 3rd)
Vortex Omega 130 skimmer
Syngery cl-34 Sump
Syngery 5 gal ato resevoir
Tunze 3155 ato
Eheim jager 200 watt heater

Stand will be made of steel and powder coated black or maybe white. Open on all sides. Going with the black and red themed sump and ato res from synergy.

Havent decided on a return pump, considering the ecotech m2 but would love suggestions.

I will be scaping with Marco rocks shelf rock for a minimalist look with a small layer of sand.

Occupants will be my 2 black ice snowflake clowns from the 20 gallon and a few wrasses and anthias.

Thanks guys and would love your feedback on equipment list, hasn't all been ordered yet.

Ps

If you are near hhi, sc and were wearing a blue #reef2reef shirt today I saw you getting as I was into my truck and took it as a sign to move forward with the tank build
Thanks for sharing, comrade

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting the reef ready one or drilling it yourself. I have the same tank, only the deep blue one before they were bought out, and I drilled mine myself. I love the footprint of the tank.
How do you guys like the quality of these tanks? Pretty tempting upgrade for my 50 breeder that’s growing quickly and running out of room. Thanks for the info!

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys like the quality of these tanks? Pretty tempting upgrade for my 50 breeder that’s growing quickly and running out of room. Thanks for the info
So far so good. This is my 3rd Deep Blue/Seapora tank. First was a 34 gallon shallow reef tank that I use as frag/QT tank. Second was the 75 gallon which is for sale and the 3rd is my 80. I did not like the 75 as it had a center overflow that sticks into the tank a long ways and made rock scaping and hiding it a challenge. The glass is clear, the edges are polished, and the seams are good. For the price, you can't go wrong. I'd get another one but my wife won't let me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back