800 Pounds of true Tonga branching live rock 20 year old system coming down

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend not on this forum is breaking down a 20 year old Salt water indoor pond and has 800 Pounds of true Tonga branching live rock in the system that's coming down.

Going to put it in the for sale forum this weekend for him, thought I would pre-post this announcement as I think it is a great opportunity to pick up some perfect live rock. Algae free, aptasia free, premium rare live rock. Will be setting up Southwest air shipping and also FedEx Shipping.

Moderators, I hope its OK to post this type of thread and its not violating any forum rules.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend not on this forum is breaking down a 20 year old Salt water indoor pond and has 800 Pounds of true Tonga branching live rock in the system that's coming down.

Going to put it in the for sale forum this weekend for him, thought I would pre-post this announcement as I think it is a great opportunity to pick up some perfect live rock. Algae free, aptasia free, premium rare live rock. Will be setting up Southwest air shipping and also FedEx Shipping.

Moderators, I hope its OK to post this type of thread and its not violating any forum rules.
That is a lot of rock, how big was the pond?

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you take small orders? I need some accent branches
We will be taking any size orders, just know this is old school Tonga branching so its very dense and very heavy :)
Also remember the smaller the order the higher the cost per pound will become because of freight charge.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should be able to put your kids through college and your grand kids as well …

P.S. are there any of those rock boring feather dusters left on it? (not spiral xmas tree type, but the blue “Umbrella” type) ?
Any other stuff? … Looking fwd to vids and pics

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to put your kids through college and your grand kids as well …

P.S. are there any of those rock boring feather dusters left on it? (not spiral xmas tree type, but the blue “Umbrella” type) ?
Any other stuff? … Looking fwd to vids and pics
Its a naturally lit pond from front window display, we are going to throw some Radion G6's over it and see what kind of beautiful life has developed over the last 20 years.
There are some show size fish going up for sale also, will have the fish list in a bit

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So quick question - was it live Tonga rock xxx years ago - or was it dry Tonga rock that has grown a bunch of stuff over 20 years (probably not much difference - since most of the living stuff from Tonga would be dead ) - so what you're really selling is a piece of rock that was ? originally from Tonga? - now covered with whatever it is in your tank? I might be interested in a small piece depending on the details - thanks for posting!!!!!

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick question - was it live Tonga rock xxx years ago - or was it dry Tonga rock that has grown a bunch of stuff over 20 years (probably not much difference - since most of the living stuff from Tonga would be dead ) - so what you're really selling is a piece of rock that was ? originally from Tonga? - now covered with whatever it is in your tank? I might be interested in a small piece depending on the details - thanks for posting!!!!!
True Live Rock from Tonga when Walt Smith was exporting Live Rock out of Tonga. Yes 20 years ago.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in today's pricing/supply differences from years past I can only guess

rough estimate with a couple of opinion points-

from google 2008 on price of live rock:
1697234153857.png

so lets say $18 a pound in today's pricing, just as an estimate. I went high end because cured/aged/from a reef tank that was controlled in/out stocking compared to ever-changing pet store holding systems makes this the best rocks a reefer can get for starting new systems. its tonga branch vs white round boulders/base rock/this is true rare premium reef gold.

so roughly fourteen thousand dollars he he. dang wow

five grand if he's charging five bucks per pound.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back