80gal shallow or 120gal

saltwater4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys looking for some opinions. I can’t really decide I’m torn between two tanks any pros/cons for both? First is a 80gal shallow reef (4ftx2ftx16inch) rimless with a corner overflow. The other is a 120gal (4ftx2ftx2ft) standard tank with a canopy. The tank is either going in living room or master bedroom (pros and cons to both locations). I just can’t decide I like the idea of a shallow reef (I’ve got some mangroves I’ve been growing that would look cool) but as a teen in the hobby back in the mid 2000’s I always wanted a 120gal. The 120 has a canopy which would help with light spill in the living room vs hanging lights over the 80. I plan on adding support under the house for either tank.

OP
OP
S

saltwater4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as big as possible, MB doesn’t sound like optimum, living room sounds better
Right, and see the 120 has a 55gal sump with it where the 80 has a Fiji 20 sump. I would be all on board with the 120 but I’ve been tossing around the idea of the shallow reef 80gal with some mangroves sticking out of it plus lighting wouldn’t have to be quite as intense being 16” vs 24” deep.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys looking for some opinions. I can’t really decide I’m torn between two tanks any pros/cons for both? First is a 80gal shallow reef (4ftx2ftx16inch) rimless with a corner overflow. The other is a 120gal (4ftx2ftx2ft) standard tank with a canopy. The tank is either going in living room or master bedroom (pros and cons to both locations). I just can’t decide I like the idea of a shallow reef (I’ve got some mangroves I’ve been growing that would look cool) but as a teen in the hobby back in the mid 2000’s I always wanted a 120gal. The 120 has a canopy which would help with light spill in the living room vs hanging lights over the 80. I plan on adding support under the house for either tank.

Idk it’s a personal decision. I love my 80g and do not like tall tanks, maintenance is so easy in the 80 and I have it on an extra tall stand so it very much looks like a display and it a frag tank. No wet armpits ever!

I don’t believe in the big as possible thing.. people downgrade all the time too. I don’t yearn for a taller tank at all… but sure id go for a 8 foot that is still 16 inches tall. :)

Number one for me is always footprint/design and I take into account what fish I will keep as well so something like a cube is also less desirable for me.

If you don’t plan on a lid, then fish selection is more limited but mangroves growing out the top is also seriously cool and may be worth giving up frequent jumpers.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a frag tank, I'd get the lowboy. For a display in my living room, I would want the taller tank with the canopy.

Of course, as mentioned, it's a personal choice that's up to you.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably have the same low boy that you’re considering (Deep Blue 80) and love it, however I’m at a point where I’m ready to upgrade to something taller (going 140-150 for my next build).

What do you want to stock/keep? I think fish selection would be a big determining factor here. (Larger) Angels, butterflies, tangs and Anthias — open water swimmers — would probably be more comfortable in a taller tank, especially with rockwork.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back