80gal started slowly leaking

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
My 80gal aio bedroom tank started slowly leaking. I woke up to a odd tapping sound that would stop. Then drip a few times. I got up and saw it was dripping off the front corner of my tank.
I didn't see it coming from the front seal. And I looked farther back and it was in the same place as when i first bought the tank. (Back left corner)
It's previously been patched before I got the tank. But I re sealed it where it was leaking.
It's in the first overflow box area.

What do I do? I don't wanna kill any fish.

Maybe a way I could quickly patch it up until the morning? It only would haft to last about 3 hours.
And what do I do in the morning.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the water down well past the leak and move stuff to food safe sterilite tubs. Buy something not red sea.
I guess tank upgrade gets to come early.
But this sucks. Maybe i shouldn't have gotten a twice used tank. I probobly did a bad reseal job on the original leak.
But at least I didn't buy a red sea.
My fish would probobly be flopping on the floor right now of I did.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possable that if I took some water out of the tank then drained my back filter section I could leave Mt powerheads on and then work on the tank in the morning? I can't really do a whole lot right now at 4:30 am.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess tank upgrade gets to come early.
But this sucks. Maybe i shouldn't have gotten a twice used tank. I probobly did a bad reseal job on the original leak.
But at least I didn't buy a red sea.
My fish would probobly be flopping on the floor right now of I did.
Red sea tanks are leaky. Second hand or not.

I'd lower it down as much as I could throw a power head in and deal with it tomorrow also.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet again rs finest. I feel for you the bro . Hope you get it sorted. Red sea sort you're sh1t out !

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you drain the water in the overflow below the leak? Probably have to shut off the returns and put a circulation pump in the display in the interim. Is this a Red Sea tank? I see comments above but didn’t see that confirmed from the OP

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you drain the water in the overflow below the leak? Probably have to shut off the returns and put a circulation pump in the display in the interim. Is this a Red Sea tank? I see comments above but didn’t see that confirmed from the OP
I did drain the back of the tank as much as i could. I took about 4 gallons out. But the tank is a innovative marine SR80
That's probobly 9 or 10 years old now and I've had it for 6months

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possable that if I took some water out of the tank then drained my back filter section I could leave Mt powerheads on and then work on the tank in the morning? I can't really do a whole lot right now at 4:30 am.

It's kinda funny. I didn't say who made the tank just that it was leaking. And it immediately became a red sea 80gal.
But red sea does need to sort it out.
But the tank is acualy a IM sr80
Lol

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that new silicone won't bond to old/cured silicone. Sooner or later that new layer is just going to peel away and leak again. Proper way to reseal is break down all the panels and remove old silicone and then reassemble.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that new silicone won't bond to old/cured silicone. Sooner or later that new layer is just going to peel away and leak again. Proper way to reseal is break down all the panels and remove old silicone and then reassemble.
Or buy a new tank...

Attachments

• 16980000347637128924366723628278.jpg
    16980000347637128924366723628278.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 18

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back