850 Gallon Build - Pump Advice

1000G Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
42
Reaction score
79
Location
Huntington Beach
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading my 265 to an 850. I wasn’t originally planning on going this big but a friend of mine in the industry had a customer walk from a tank after giving a substantial deposit. The tank dimensions are 10x4x34”. It is built out of 1.25 in acrylic. On my existing system, I have L2 vectras and only have them running around 75%. I am looking for some advice on return pumps, thinking 2 abyzz a400s or some commercial grade pool pumps. I also realized I either need to get stronger magnets or find out if there are any power heads out there that are meant for 1.25 in and thicker aquarium walls. Any and all comments/recommendations are appreciated. Here’s a few pics of the existing system that’s stocked to the gills.
FE8DEEA1-CB13-49F1-B7BC-403E5E0C3E6C.jpeg
IMG_2320.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
 
Awesome tank, but your question is way out of my experience zone. Never delt with that much water flow. Don't know what the larger powerheads have as max tank thickness on them.
 
I’m upgrading my 265 to an 850. I wasn’t originally planning on going this big but a friend of mine in the industry had a customer walk from a tank after giving a substantial deposit. The tank dimensions are 10x4x34”. It is built out of 1.25 in acrylic. On my existing system, I have L2 vectras and only have them running around 75%. I am looking for some advice on return pumps, thinking 2 abyzz a400s or some commercial grade pool pumps. I also realized I either need to get stronger magnets or find out if there are any power heads out there that are meant for 1.25 in and thicker aquarium walls. Any and all comments/recommendations are appreciated. Here’s a few pics of the existing system that’s stocked to the gills.
FE8DEEA1-CB13-49F1-B7BC-403E5E0C3E6C.jpeg
IMG_2320.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
Not the answer to your question, but you have an amazing looking tank!
 
Can you drill the tank for closed loop? That would eliminate or at least greatly cut down on needed power heads. I know it could be a structural integrity issue on some acrylic tanks. If I was running that large of a tank I would look into Reefflo pumps, have used them in the past when feeding two tanks from my basement sump system. Not the most economical but plenty of power when we are going this big does that really factor in. Couple darts one for return one for cl would probably work.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new