87 gallons of starting over

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2011
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
1,034
Location
Cloquet, MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, a couple years ago I set up my 300 gallon dream tank. Goal was to have a nice huge SPS reef. I ended up having a tank crash and took it down last year. My plan is to set it up again at the end of the winter after I get my basement remodel done and I'll build it into the wall. I plan on keeping a lot of non reef safe fish so will keep the big one a FOWLR for the most part (maybe some softies). So to keep the SPS itch satisfied I decided to set up a used tank I bought a while ago but never did anything with. This will be SPS dominant from the beginning. I had to build a new stand and get some new equipment. The tank is a custom rimless 36x28x20"H and will be in my main upstairs living room. This tank is going to be Zeovit from the beginning. I've struggled before with nitrate and phosphate before so want to give myself the best opportunity for success. Equipment is as follows:

Skimz Monzter SM163 skimmer
Skimz UP34 Sump (Love it so far!)
Skimz ZM120 Zeovit reactor (obviously I decided to give Skimz a go ;) haha!)
Eheim 1260 return (love these pumps)
Tunze 6095 x 2 with Tunze controller (love these too)
Apex Classic for ATO, temp control, pH, ORP, conductivity and wet floor warning
GHL doser 2 for 2-part dosing and possibly zeovit (will start with hand dosing zeo). This is on order right now.
For lighting I'm struggling with a decision. I have a Radion XR30 Gen 3 Pro with wide angle lenses over it right now. Ecotech says this is plenty for my tank. I'm actually only lighting an area of 30x28x20H due to the overflow taking up a lot of room. I also have a 24" 8 bulb ATI dimmable sunpower. I want to give the radion a chance first but if I'm not satisfied I'll switch to the ATI. But then I think I should start with the proven T5 to give myself the best chance. I keep going back and forth. I don't want a hanging canopy or I would do a custom LED/T5 using the radion. I know there are hybrid fixtures out there and will most likely get one of these eventually but I've already spent enough money for now.

I just got the plumbing done a couple days ago and filled with water for leak tests yesterday. Thats where I'm at so far. I will be using Pukani dry rock from BRS for the aquascape and since with Zeovit you don't do many water changes I'll stick with their salt (even though it's godawful expensive). I'll try to keep this updated as more things happen. Here are some pictures for now!
 
File Sep 15, 3 16 17 PM.jpeg
File Sep 15, 3 15 36 PM.jpeg
File Sep 15, 3 14 57 PM.jpeg
File Sep 15, 3 07 05 PM.jpeg
File Sep 15, 3 07 47 PM.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new