8ft tank width for front access only

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Folks!

I was originally planning a 6ft peninsula reef tank as a room divider. But after looking it over again I think the space would work out better left open and I can center an 8ft tank down the wall instead.

Which brings me to my question... what width for the tank? I will have access to the tank from the front and the two small sides. But the back will be against a wall.

I was thinking something like 30 wide and 30 tall but I am not sure if that would be difficult to work with. Wider... narrower... ? Can anyone weigh in with experience here?

Thanks

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardboard models are a good way to actually see if you physically like the size.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
local bike shops toss out large cardboard bike boxes all the time.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer wider tanks because it gives you better room for your rock work, narrow tanks kind of force you to go with a wall of rocks look

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
local bike shops toss out large cardboard bike boxes all the time.

Thanks that's a good idea and I definitely will make one up to verify... but if anyone has any thoughts / comments / wisdom on the subject or personal experience that didn't work out well I would certainly appreciate them before I get to far along in changing my direction

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer wider tanks because it gives you better room for your rock work, narrow tanks kind of force you to go with a wall of rocks look

Agreed, wider is better for rock work and have good flow front and back, personally past two feet it gets hard to work, but, maybe you'll keep your hands out more and let the reef be ;)

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm getting ready to start a similar build. I'm going 30 w and 24 deep. I'm going 30 wide to have more room for aqua scaping. The 24" deep is because I have shorter arms and want to be able to get to the bottom of the tank w/o having issues

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's what I am hoping for but not having a room with access behind the tank is sort of limiting the ability to reach in the tank. Unfortunately I am past the point of being able to accommodate rear access. How wide are you talking?

maybe you'll keep your hands out more and let the reef be ;)

Lol

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the wide but short tanks, 30" wide and 20-24' deep, as mentioned above deep tanks can be very difficult to work in if you do not have the longest arms.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am hoping for but not having a room with access behind the tank is sort of limiting the ability to reach in the tank. Unfortunately I am past the point of being able to accommodate rear access. How wide are you talking?

Lol
I would say 30" wide would be amazing but 24" would also be great if you do not have the space for 30"

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30" Just enough to have a space for flow behind the scape, but again that's my preference. I don't like scapes built up on the back wall where deconstruction is the only way to get back there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back