90 Display 55L Sump Stocking Idea

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When colored up nicely they are a gorgeous fish and will make a fine centerpiece. Their color is affected by stress and they do not take to crowds, but you are far from overstocked. Adding live macro algae into their diet is also a good addition for coloration.

I nicknamed the reef lobster the "silent assassin" after determining in more than one tank, that is how fish and inverts were disappearing. They are nocturnal and opportunistic. They usually catch the small fish while they are sleeping and the H. Chrysus does bury himself, so that does present an opportunity. The lobster has a hard exoskeleton and would be impervious to a sting from the waspfish, I don't know if the poison from the wasp would kill the lobster if he ate him, but that just means you lose both.
that’s interesting, I never knew that but also never really found what the attraction to these fish was. Certainly agree that colouration is dependent on three main things:
- Sleep
- Stress
- Diet

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When colored up nicely they are a gorgeous fish and will make a fine centerpiece. Their color is affected by stress and they do not take to crowds, but you are far from overstocked. Adding live macro algae into their diet is also a good addition for coloration.

I nicknamed the reef lobster the "silent assassin" after determining in more than one tank, that is how fish and inverts were disappearing. They are nocturnal and opportunistic. They usually catch the small fish while they are sleeping and the H. Chrysus does bury himself, so that does present an opportunity. The lobster has a hard exoskeleton and would be impervious to a sting from the waspfish, I don't know if the poison from the wasp would kill the lobster if he ate him, but that just means you lose both.

Another tip to bringing out the yellow and orange coloration of the fox, is to include a carotenoid called Astaxanthin into their diet. This is now found in many pelleted foods just for this reason. Natural forms of this carotenoid is found in salmon, shrimp, and macroalgae. Mince up some some salmon and shrimp and they will love it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you train fish onto pellets? My fox won’t go anywhere near pellets and buying a bunch of live macro algae every week is hard. I don’t have plans to grow macro in my nano and instead keep it to dull Indonesian white/beige colours with a clam. Also my sump in my 4’ tank has no refugium.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you train fish onto pellets? My fox won’t go anywhere near pellets and buying a bunch of live macro algae every week is hard. I don’t have plans to grow macro in my nano and instead keep it to dull Indonesian white/beige colours with a clam. Also my sump in my 4’ tank has no refugium.

My fox takes pellets, I have a one spot, I think it just comes down to them trying one and deciding if they like it. Try dropping one or three right in front of them as the 1st offering at feeding time. I don't feed pellets that often because there is a high amount of phosphates in them, and that causes a bunch of other issues. So if using pellets you have to be observant to drop just a few in at a time and make sure they are being eaten. Natural forms are always best, get some fresh shrimp and cut off a corner of some salmon if you are eating that for yourself. Mince some up and freeze it in small batches.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox takes pellets, I have a one spot, I think it just comes down to them trying one and deciding if they like it. Try dropping one or three right in front of them as the 1st offering at feeding time. I don't feed pellets that often because there is a high amount of phosphates in them, and that causes a bunch of other issues. So if using pellets you have to be observant to drop just a few in at a time and make sure they are being eaten. Natural forms are always best, get some fresh shrimp and cut off a corner of some salmon if you are eating that for yourself. Mince some up and freeze it in small batches.
I’m going to start including salmon in the diet of my Tessalata eel so I’m sure giving some to the foxface would be fine. What fish will the lobster kill? Will he go after the fish if he is well fed? And lastly, will he eat all my snails?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the magnificent and I did a thread on how to amplify the colouration but if I’m honest, It’s rare to find a nice colour mag. Actually, mine has gain a much more vibrant yellow now, wonder why… unfortunately his pectoral fins are still clear and tinted yellow.
image.jpg
image.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start including salmon in the diet of my Tessalata eel so I’m sure giving some to the foxface would be fine. What fish will the lobster kill? Will he go after the fish if he is well fed? And lastly, will he eat all my snails?

They will go for small fish as the opportunity arises. At night if they catch them in their sleeping spot or just by surprise if a fish or invert wanders into their den or near their den. The shrimp and any inverts can be on the menu.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the magnificent and I did a thread on how to amplify the colouration but if I’m honest, It’s rare to find a nice colour mag. Actually, mine has gain a much more vibrant yellow now, wonder why… unfortunately his pectoral fins are still clear and tinted yellow.
image.jpg
image.jpg

He looks nice, how big is he, the coloration does get better with size. The addition of the carotenoid I spoke of will bring out the orange on the dorsal fin and the yellow, yellow/orange of the anal fin.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks nice, how big is he, the coloration does get better with size. The addition of the carotenoid I spoke of will bring out the orange on the dorsal fin and the yellow, yellow/orange of the anal fin.
He’s probably not much bigger than 4.5 inch, maybe pushing 5 inch. I definitely find him to be a slow grower in the two to three years I’ve owned him.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go for small fish as the opportunity arises. At night if they catch them in their sleeping spot or just by surprise if a fish or invert wanders into their den or near their den. The shrimp and any inverts can be on the menu.
I think I’m going to just make matters simple and throw the reef lobster in with my Tessalata. The only concern here is the cleaner shrimp. If I have a big enough tank, introduce the cleaner shrimp first and once I have found it’s “cleaning station” introduce the lobster to an appropriate cave at the opposite end of the tank, would that increase my chances of success? The cleaner shrimp and lobster will both be nocturnal and my cleaner shrimp always stays near the Tessalata eel. The only concern would be the small cleaner wrasse. I have looked for several hours and can’t seem to find where he sleeps so I’d think he will remain hidden enough to not be eaten. At the lfs the lobster is with a smaller damsel and has not eaten it. The lfs also does have large cleaner shrimp and a larger cleaner wrasse. Would it be a better idea to get a larger cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse? I’m just trying to make the lobster work because I’ve wanted one for quite some time

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to just make matters simple and throw the reef lobster in with my Tessalata. The only concern here is the cleaner shrimp. If I have a big enough tank, introduce the cleaner shrimp first and once I have found it’s “cleaning station” introduce the lobster to an appropriate cave at the opposite end of the tank, would that increase my chances of success? The cleaner shrimp and lobster will both be nocturnal and my cleaner shrimp always stays near the Tessalata eel. The only concern would be the small cleaner wrasse. I have looked for several hours and can’t seem to find where he sleeps so I’d think he will remain hidden enough to not be eaten. At the lfs the lobster is with a smaller damsel and has not eaten it. The lfs also does have large cleaner shrimp and a larger cleaner wrasse. Would it be a better idea to get a larger cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse? I’m just trying to make the lobster work because I’ve wanted one for quite some time

It's a game of opportunity for creatures like this, so it will be a gamble, 50/50. In one tank it may work out because of like you said, established territories and established observation, Like damsels with fang tooth eels, when initially introduced some become victims, damsels are smart and elusive, once they spot the predator, they are very good at staying away, some are such holes, you can even watch them taunt the eels. Other than hermits I don't like to add things with claws with eels or other sedentary predators. There's always a chance the clawed creature will injure the eel and this injury, while most times will heal on it's own, always has a chance to turn into a bacterial infection. It's always risk vs reward in this hobby, and each individual makes that determination for themselves. Cleaner wrasses have never seemed to have that long of a lifespan in captivity, so size wise I'm not sure, i think the same goes for the cleaner. My jeweled eel decided to make a meal of his cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a game of opportunity for creatures like this, so it will be a gamble, 50/50. In one tank it may work out because of like you said, established territories and established observation, Like damsels with fang tooth eels, when initially introduced some become victims, damsels are smart and elusive, once they spot the predator, they are very good at staying away, some are such holes, you can even watch them taunt the eels. Other than hermits I don't like to add things with claws with eels or other sedentary predators. There's always a chance the clawed creature will injure the eel and this injury, while most times will heal on it's own, always has a chance to turn into a bacterial infection. It's always risk vs reward in this hobby, and each individual makes that determination for themselves. Cleaner wrasses have never seemed to have that long of a lifespan in captivity, so size wise I'm not sure, i think the same goes for the cleaner. My jeweled eel decided to make a meal of his cleaner shrimp.
I think what has happened to me is as my username suggests, I have too many ideas. Seeings as you are extremely knowledgeable especially in the predator world I would like to pm you if that’s okay to have a discussion and get my goals aligned and on track to relieve stress for me, my fish and to improve the quality of my tanks and saltwater/reefing experience

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what has happened to me is as my username suggests, I have too many ideas. Seeings as you are extremely knowledgeable especially in the predator world I would like to pm you if that’s okay to have a discussion and get my goals aligned and on track to relieve stress for me, my fish and to improve the quality of my tanks and saltwater/reefing experience
seems as if I can’t.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back