90 gal update finally!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to pull out a gallon or so and just add freshwater to get the salinity down.

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to pull out a gallon or so and just add freshwater to get the salinity down.

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

What you really need to do is get those fish out of there until the cycle is over. You realize they are suffering in there between the ammonia and the nitrites, right?

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you really need to do is get those fish out of there until the cycle is over. You realize they are suffering in there between the ammonia and the nitrites, right?

I have already said i have no where to put them or i would lol but they should be ok since they are tiny in a pretty large aquarium

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at all different types of lighting solutions and i know i want to go LED. My question is what exactly do you think i should go with. I have heard alot about DIY with the bridgelux and i have also heard about the Cree leds from rapidled.com .... Is it better to go DIY or should i look into buying a fixture that is already set up.. if i went that way i know it would be more expensive but what models and brand would you prefer?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do LED only. It seems most folks around here that have gone that route, end up going back and supplementing with T5's. I would look into DIY combo of LED's and T5's.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooops didnt mean to send yet.

I put the T5s inbetween 2the 2 led fixtures. my T5s come on at 11am and off at 6pm (the brightest time of day in summer). I intend to add an AI Vega in place of the T5s to get the same color spectrum. but my leds have paid fir themselves in electric alone and my tank looks better, cooler and everything apears quite happy.

125g mixed reef Peninsula

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sol blues have better par than the vega but i believe its due to the color spectrum they are set at... which is adjustable. the blues are in fact lacking the purple, red and green that T5 and the vega has. I think to mix the sol blue with vega would be perfect lighting for all corals

125g mixed reef peninsula

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sol blues have better par than the vega but i believe its due to the color spectrum they are set at... which is adjustable. the blues are in fact lacking the purple, red and green that T5 and the vega has. I think to mix the sol blue with vega would be perfect lighting for all corals

125g mixed reef peninsula

So the AI vega. its meant for nanos is it not? i know little about them :) them seem to be nice but i have a 90 gal so i would need two or more right? or if i went with the 2 AI sol and one AI vega we are talking like 1400 bucks

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooops didnt mean to send yet.

I put the T5s inbetween 2the 2 led fixtures. my T5s come on at 11am and off at 6pm (the brightest time of day in summer). I intend to add an AI Vega in place of the T5s to get the same color spectrum. but my leds have paid fir themselves in electric alone and my tank looks better, cooler and everything apears quite happy.

Can you post a pic? i curious to see what it looks like!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI has a nano module but these are not for nano tanks. I have a 72"x18" 125g tank. I only really need 3 units but because of the center support across the top, many people put 4 units on a 6' tank.

So, if you have a 4' long tank you will only need 2 units. they have a 2' x 2' spread so do the Vega units

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diy led+t5 combo cost $400 and that's for a 180. Diy is cheaper. Pre fab units are easier. Which do you value more money or time?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
kemper6120

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diy led+t5 combo cost $400 and that's for a 180. Diy is cheaper. Pre fab units are easier. Which do you value more money or time?

with school and work idk if i got time but i do like saving that much money!!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a HUGE savings! Unforunatly I myself don't have the tools or know-how to make them. Wish I did :(

I did mine with a $10 hacksaw and $20 soldering iron some electrical tape and wire on my living room floor/coffe table. No need for lots of tools or a workshop although that would be best if u can lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back