90 gallon stocking

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new here and got a question about stocking.
planning on getting a 90 gallon tank set up in the next couple months and after it is properly cycled I have a general idea of what fish I would wanna throw in there. My current idea would be something like
- 2 ocellaris clowns
- bristletooth tang
-shrimp/goby pair (probably a tiger and an orange spotted goby)
-1 helfrichi firefish (Might end up just getting a purple) + I will have a lid on the tank
-1 long nose hawkfish

I would also be interested in getting some cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, banded coral shrimp, anemones, and some corals (some of each type)

I am very open to all opinions and nothing is concrete on the list. What order would you recommend I add these fish?
I do have some other general questions

- how needed is a sump and skimmer
- would I be able to add some more fish down the line and if so would there be any issues if they were less aggressive then some of the other fish like the tang
- I am kinda nervous about buying fish online, how safe would this option be and what would be the best sites to order from

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red headeds stay about the same size. Slightly longer, but not as tall.
+1 to this, red heads and clowns are the same size however redheads aren’t as tall and are much longer making them look smaller.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, need at least 3 to 4 weeks between fish or longer preferably.
I used to do 2 weeks and a new fish I got that bored! Now it’s around 6 months and I get a new fish

Upvote 0

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do 2 weeks and a new fish I got that bored! Now it’s around 6 months and I get a new fish
I go fish shopping whenever the wallet and the wifey allow. You can always set up another reef after all. It's why I'm at 5 reefs (a few in progress) and counting now.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are about the same I think I prefer the red heads, I’m guessing they would go in earlier on the list?
Gobies always go in earlier unless it’s a certain hard species (I’m planning to write something about those genera/species so if you’re interested keep an eye out).

Upvote 1

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If at the beginning of every month I put a new fish in DT and a new one in QT would that still be too quick?
I always do my fish in batches of 3 or so. Seems to help cut down on aggression.

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added a fish for about a year. I had just started a 120 and moved everything from a 55 to a 120 and poof the 120 started leaking. So now it's just my 90.
Don't be sad everything survived and sitting at a buddies house. Thankful he had 3 tanks 2 where mostly empty.

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you start with live rock from the ocean its probs fine if u are starting with dry rock maybe a bad idea as u need the bacteria to multiply to handle the load
I second this. Using dry will extend the ugly stages.

Upvote 0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. I have 38 fish in my 75 gallon. Feel free to check out my build thread. Just make sure you keep up with water quality. Heavy feeding to keep a high fish load, which means a good skimmer and a good refugium.
That gives me anxiety :p

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back