9004 DC Skimmer No Power

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My Tunze 9004 DC skimmer has suddenly stopped working. The blue light isn’t on on the controller and the pump will not turn on. I’ve tried multiple outlets that other gear is working on with no luck. Any advice for what could be causing this?

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplug it at the dc controller and see if there's water inside there.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water inside the controller. There’s a pretty large drip loop between the tank and controller and it’s located on the one door to the stand so I’m pretty confident it wasn’t a water issue.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you possibly have an Osmolator, Nano Osmolator, 6040 or an 8811, 8821 or 8831 or Mar reactor? These all use the same power supply, with no lights, the most plausible cause would be a bad power supply. I would disassemble the pump and make sure it is clean and the propeller is freely removable and turns easily, the most common causes of power supply failure would be a seized pump or water damage to the power supply, either the end on the wall or the tip that plugs into the controller. In some cases, the power supply is still good, but it detects the overload and shuts down, in this case the lights will flash on for a fraction of a second when you first connect power.

How old is the skimmer? BTW, I also got your email.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nano Osmolator, I can try using that power supply? I did clean the skimmer and pump yesterday to be sure there wasn't any obstruction or internal issue on the wet side but didn't find anything. The blue light doesn't blink at all when it is first plugged in. The power supply is under the tank but away from any places where water could accidentally drip. There's a large drip loop and the controller is mounted on the door. I wanted to double check as this was my first thought as well.

I just went back through my orders on BRS, I bought the skimmer in September 2019. Apologies for the multiple communicaitons- I wasn't sure which was the best way to get in contact with Tunze. We can take this to an email format if you prefer.

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had water in my controller from the outer cover of the wires to the pump being opened and it created a siphon inside the wire cover and went straight into the controller.
20201025_160227.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdguy, the Nano Osmolator power supply will work.

Ryan3313, that is a manufacturing defect and we would replace the pump, please contact me by email or pm.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdguy, the Nano Osmolator power supply will work.

Ryan3313, that is a manufacturing defect and we would replace the pump, please contact me by email or pm.
Tried the Nano Osmolator power supply and no luck. The blue light doesn’t flash or light up on the controller.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdguy, your skimmer is still under warranty, can you send me the pump for repair? I don't need the full skimmer, just pump/controller and power supply.
Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:
OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdguy, your skimmer is still under warranty, can you send me the pump for repair? I don't need the full skimmer, just pump/controller and power supply.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Sure thing. I will get it in the mail as soon as possible and send you the tracking number here via PM once available.

PaulBiod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you possibly have an Osmolator, Nano Osmolator, 6040 or an 8811, 8821 or 8831 or Mar reactor? These all use the same power supply, with no lights, the most plausible cause would be a bad power supply. I would disassemble the pump and make sure it is clean and the propeller is freely removable and turns easily, the most common causes of power supply failure would be a seized pump or water damage to the power supply, either the end on the wall or the tip that plugs into the controller. In some cases, the power supply is still good, but it detects the overload and shuts down, in this case the lights will flash on for a fraction of a second when you first connect power.

How old is the skimmer? BTW, I also got your email.
Hi Rvitko,
I had a similar issue, my power supply is OK (I can mesure 12v coming out of the power supply) but my controller keeps blinking blue led. And of course, doesn't work, what can I do ?
thanks

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blinking indicates a pump problem, I would remove the drive unit, make sure the metal shaft is in place in the motor and all parts are clean, either the motor is jammed or possibly broken.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back