Have you no restraint!?!?!!

1000016041.gif

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are you MIA again? I've been reading a lot about the alien abductions up in Alaska lately, and I sure hope you aren't enjoying that anal probe too much.

Aliens Ufo GIF by Ski Mask The Slump God

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you MIA again? I've been reading a lot about the alien abductions up in Alaska lately, and I sure hope you aren't enjoying that anal probe too much.

Aliens Ufo GIF by Ski Mask The Slump God

They just dropped me off, gonna stand up during this post.. :face-with-spiral-eyes: lol

Long week with Mr. Tank, including a 36 hour emergency room visit after a 45+ minute seizure (by time we got him there late Tues night).. First seizure, will be 9 y/o in May, had 2 following seizures at the vet that night, but none in the past 96 hrs. He's home resting now, loaded up on phenobarbital and gabapentin. Acting like he feels fine, but quite loopy from the pheno.. Helping him with stairs etc etc :/

Freaking seizure started after I sneezed, he jumped up and went nuts and couldnt get it stopped :downcast-face-with-sweat: Crazy. Poor guy, we attribute it to being on Prozac (just upped dose 2 weeks ago per the vet), which he's on for reactiveness as he can't exercise as much as he needs due to some tracheal collapse / small dog probs... Prozac has been cut immediately, ahhh. More drugs to fix the other drugs, smh.

Good times lol.. How y'all doin? Hug Johann for me!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They just dropped me off, gonna stand up during this post.. :face-with-spiral-eyes: lol

Long week with Mr. Tank, including a 36 hour emergency room visit after a 45+ minute seizure (by time we got him there late Tues night).. First seizure, will be 9 y/o in May, had 2 following seizures at the vet that night, but none in the past 96 hrs. He's home resting now, loaded up on phenobarbital and gabapentin. Acting like he feels fine, but quite loopy from the pheno.. Helping him with stairs etc etc :/

Freaking seizure started after I sneezed, he jumped up and went nuts and couldnt get it stopped :downcast-face-with-sweat: Crazy. Poor guy, we attribute it to being on Prozac (just upped dose 2 weeks ago per the vet), which he's on for reactiveness as he can't exercise as much as he needs due to some tracheal collapse / small dog probs... Prozac has been cut immediately, ahhh. More drugs to fix the other drugs, smh.

Oh, man. So sorry, bud. I hope the little guy will be okay. Yeah, SSRI's like Prozac can lower the seizure threshold. Phenobarbital and Gabapentin would be a good, short-term solution; but like you said, the phenobarbital will have some nasty side effects. If the seizures persist, status post dc'ing the Fluoxetine, ask your vet about Levetiracetam (Keppra). It is an anticonvulsant that should have less side effects than both the barbiturate and the Neurontin, and is generally well tolerated in canines.

Johann says, "Hi" and he wishes Tank a speedy recovery. He's an old man now, too, and falling apart. Otherwise, status quo, I suppose.

Last edited:

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I suppose this means no probe, eh? I hope you aren't too disappointed.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man. So sorry, bud. I hope the little guy will be okay. Yeah, SSRI's like Prozac can lower the seizure threshold. Phenobarbital and Gabapentin would be a good, short-term solution; but like you said, the phenobarbital will have some nasty side effects. If the seizures persist, status post dc'ing the Fluoxetine, ask your vet about Levetiracetam (Keppra). It is an anticonvulsant that should have less side effects than both the barbiturate and the Neurontin, and is generally well tolerated in canines.

Johann says, "Hi" and he wished Tank a speedy recovery. He's an old man now, too, and falling apart. Otherwise, status quo, I suppose.

Thanks Styx! Yea, ER vet mentioned she also prefers Keppra, but decided to continue for now with the pheno he was loaded up on during his stay. Plan is to monitor and if dc-ing FLX shows improvement (fingers crossed), switch over or potentially wean off the anticonvulsants... Otherwise they would stay on board indefinitely.. :/

Fun fact for today, dog MRIs cost about $4000 :face-with-spiral-eyes:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back