OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update I couldn’t wait to post. Picked up a couple additions while away for the weekend. I fear I have become infatuated with RFAs... I really thought it was a small puffy one when I picked it out but I was wrong. It blew my mind how much it opened up today. It may even have spawned but that’s in a different section.

EECA5B89-545C-4506-AAF5-958F26EE9968.jpeg
3F76610D-EDD4-4FDD-8261-0F54C6B8786A.jpeg

My better half has always begged for a Sea Hare when we see them. I finally caved after talking to a few people about their requirements and my tank status. They did not feel at all like I expected. This one started mowing through algae before leaving my hand.

60014BF7-2AD5-405C-BCB9-838180D319C8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some updated coral photos.

Acans. I lost one. It just shrunk until it was no longer visible. The other two are still looking good.
Acans.JPG

Birds Nest recovery project. I'm seeing more polyps everyday.
Birds Nest.JPG

Blastomussas looking happy as they can be. I don't think anything has every irritated them.
Blasto.JPG

Caulastrea. This looks good in spite of the urchins vendetta against it being anywhere other than face down in the sand.
Candycane.JPG

Fireworks(?) Clove Polyps. I cannot wait for these to really fill in.
Clove Polyps.JPG

The Cyphastrea has been a slow and steady coral. It's finally reaching out across the rocks.
Cyphastrea.JPG

My Duncans took a heavy hit from a hungry Filefish who has since been sumped. They are recovering quite well and it doesn't look like a single polyp was lost.
Duncans.JPG

The Favia is looking plump. It has covered its plug and is touching rock on all sides now.
Favia.JPG

The Forest Fire Digitata. I am not doing so well with this one. It has been accidentally fragged twice now. The originally placed piece is doing okay. The one I put in high light and high flow was overgrown with algae and is on its last legs. The newest frag is looking alive but not thrilled to be.
FF Digi.JPG

The GSP is growing on its rock very well. No sign of it jumping on to the back glass yet. I'm hoping I can get it on there naturally somehow.
GSP.JPG

Hammer coral is doing great. I haven't seen any sweepers yet, not that I am hoping for them. It's neat to see but I don't want to see the carnage.
Hammer.JPG

The Grafted Cap has fully encrusted the plug. I bought it as a "Grafted Montipora Cap" alongside a photo of a big plating green and red monti cap. Hopefully this thing encrusting after about a year means it might finally start plating.
Monti Cap.JPG

The Mystic Sunset Monti is looking good and growing well.
Mystic Sunset Monti.JPG

My favorite, the Space Invader Pectinia. I feel like this thing actually has personality. Here are two pictures. One inflated for full affect and one deflated so you can see the skeletal recovery.
Pectinia Inflated.JPG
Pectinia Deflated.JPG

I cannot figure out how to frag my Pipe Organ. It is getting quite large and the time may be at hand soon. All the pieces that have come off so far have not survived. I may have to try some intentional fragging to get the entire tube. That should make the difference.
Pipe Organ.JPG

The Red Digi is doing good. Something bit a pea sized piece of flesh off but it recovered quickly.
Red Digi.JPG

Red Monti Cap looking bright and showing a bit of growth.
Red Monti.JPG

The Rock Flower Anemones the have really piqued my interest.
RFAs.JPG

Ricordia Florida Mushroom. I'm hoping for some color but the green is nice.
Ricordia Florida.JPG

Stylocoeniella is still slowly recovering. You can see it almost all the way around the skeleton now.
Stylocoeniella.JPG

Tubbs Stelatta Monti is growing well.
Tubbs Stellata.JPG

Front and side view of the Walking Dendro.
WD long.JPG
WD side.JPG

Pulsing Xenia. This thing is probably doing more nutrient export than the sea lettuce at this point.
Xenia.JPG

The zoa rock is growing rapidly.
Zoa rock.JPG

Finally, the zoa garden. I love the colors here. I still really want some yellow in it. I would like to find some Pikachu to place in the mix.
Zoa Garden.JPG

I'm working on getting some good fish photos for my next update about all the swimmers and crawlers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock update regarding fish and inverts. Sorry for the bad photos but no one likes sitting still:

High Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) with Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)
Goby.jpg

I really need to get a good photo or video of the shrimp. The original fish developed a large swelling or growth on its abdomen a couple months ago and did not survive it. I found a replacement on a trip south and after about a week it found the shrimp. This fish really emboldened the shrimp to come out more and it blew my mind how large it has become. It has grown from about .375" to at least 1.25"

Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Royal Gramma.jpg

Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)
Cardinalfish.jpg

Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
Tang.jpg

This guy used to spar with the Foxface while they were the same size. Now that he is a bit smaller, he settled down.

Blotched/One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
Foxface.jpg

My original one succumbed to Cryptocarrion irritans. This one is quite skittish.

Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
Firefish.jpg

When two of them passed from ich, one remaining became aggressive. I just had to sump the passive one and it's starting to look better.

Lawnmower/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
Blenny.jpg

Bullethole Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Clown 2.jpg

Originally picked two tiny ones and one died within a week. Found another to make a pair and the other small one died. After a short time, I decided to try again with two more tiny fish.

"Black" Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Clown 1.jpg

I say "black" because its more mocha and cream stripes with an orange face... We picked up a tiny pair and again, one died. However, the survivor is basically a gladiator. It survived QT and the meeting the larger female. They have been happy ever since. I don't know if I was selecting too small of a fish or what, but I was saddened by all my losses here.

Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
Solorensis.jpg

Another gladiator. Survived copper poisoning, ich and two round of copper treatment. This is my most active fish. It's daily routines amuse me, especially the laps it does around the tank just before lights out.

Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus)
Rubeus.jpg

This is my "Eleanor". First attempt didn't survive the first night. I believe this was due to drip acclimation, which I no long use. Round two went through QT just fine, then developed a swim bladder disorder out of nowhere. I almost gave up until the third time I saw them come up for sale again. I decided to try it one more time. Success! This little guy is just under 2" and active as can be. I really believe I saw the big wrasse trying to play with it a few times. The interaction was not aggressive in any way. It was almost welcoming.

Aiptasia Eating Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)
Purchased with last above-mentioned wrasse. This bugger decided to take a liking to my Duncans while ignoring the Aiptasia. It's now in the sump awaiting a new home.

Sea Hare (Dolabella auricularia)
Sea Hare.jpg

My wife loves them. I finally caved. It is an interesting creature. I almost feel its pain when it touches a coral and retracts from it, reaching up with its mouth open. You can almost hear the scream.

Tiger Sand Conch (Strombus sp.)
Conch.jpg

This is my third conch. I think my nitrate swings took the first two out. Things have stabilized and this one is doing well. Mostly buried at night and very active through the day. Seen here working out.

I've stopped adding Blue Legs and switched to Scarlet Reef Hermits. They clearly (in my case) are more interested in the algae growing on the rocks than the Blue Legs are.

Pencil Urchin (Eucidaris tribuloides)
As annoying as this guy is at times, I like it. It does move frags quite often and seems to knock my Caulastrea off the rocks every other night. I am keeping an eye on it as I have heard many reports of them eating coral. So far, this one has stuck to plant matter.

I managed to snag some Stomatella snails. It looks like only one survived though. I'm staying on the lookout for more.

Cerith, Nassarius and Trochus snails are doing okay on the glass and sand. I'm not too impressed with the work being done on the rocks.

Banded Serpent Seastar (Ophiocoma sp.)

Spaghetti Worm (Eupolymnia crassicornis)

Emerald Crab (Mithraculus sculptus)
The first one died in molt. The second one has yet to molt but is being a model citizen.

Strawberry Crab (Neoliomera pubescens)
This guy has molted and is quite entertaining. It messed with my pectinia a couple times while building its cave. That was as fun to watch as the pistol shrimp.

Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
Peppermint Shrimp.JPG

Not sure they have touched the Aiptasia. I got three from one place and three more from another. They are a happy bunch but have never been seen doing the job I hired them for.

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

That's all for now. I'm contemplating a Copperband Butterfly, but they come with an entirely different set of risk vs. reward.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed you can still see some scars on the Tomini Tang. This is what is left over from some very bad HLLE. I believe it was caused by the carbon I was using in the QT. He has been slowly getting better and better.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m on a posting spree I thought I would post my parameters as of last night along with questions.

1.0264 d SG
0.06 PO4
15 NO3
7.5 dKH
500 Ca
1680 Mg
8.15 PH
0 NO2
0 NH3

I did a water change Wednesday. Ever since I attempted my dosing a while back I haven’t been able to get the Mg down. I even switched from IO Reef Crystals to the purple box IO. Any ideas what to do they to bring Mg and Ca down to “proper” levels?

I’m also toying with the idea of switching to Caulerpa or an Algae Turf Scrubber. The GHA is back, though still quite manageable. The Sea Lettuce seems to have stopped growing after going strong for several months. I hear people say raising MG could stop Bryopsis or GHA. Could this be messing with my Sea Lettuce growth? Any idea @AlgaeBarn? Low Iron was suggested but it’s actually well above natural sea water as of my last ICP test on 24 January.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found my problem with the sea lettuce. I have checked the wrong ICP report. I just double checked after reading @WVNed's post about iron dosing because it looked exactly like what I am experiencing. Sure enough I am depleted on a bunch of trace elements.

Capture.PNG

Anyone have any dosing product recommendations? I have Manganese and Vanadium but it seems the rest (aside from copper) should be in there too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin has arrived and I resurrected the Bubble Magus. I dosed an initial dose of ATI Elements Iron to bring the level up proper and will send out an ICP test in a month or so. Last one went out in November so I’m due anyway but I like your approach of letting it run for a bit.

1DD0B53B-728B-41F8-9395-2CEAECFF9B87.jpeg

I can’t wait to see the sea lettuce growing again and I’m even more excited to see if this dosing kicks off some growth in the corals that haven’t done much but stay alive.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did a thing. I blame the wife, though I know there has to be an ulterior motive. Haha

LA Lakers scrolling coral
5596BD38-4D8F-4681-B0C2-F655E52DB671.jpeg

Yellow Eye Pink (looks red to me) Goni, Indo farmed
719AF82B-A7D3-4DCE-AAA2-5338CF76AC81.jpeg

Fox Flame Acro
CEDBA905-E7D6-4094-A05E-E073D15A2427.jpeg

This is my first acro. Wish me luck!

I just keep telling myself it’s not an impulse buy if it’s on the coral wish list.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good day. @Vivid Aquariums called to schedule my shipment. I get featured on #ReefTank365 . Last but not least, I finished my work reports from some major travel and field work.

In tank news; I am at a point where, aside from placing these incoming corals, I don't have much to do. The algae seems to be receding, corals are growing and fish are happy. The new challenge is going to be keeping my hands out and letting things grow.

The only challenge I see right now is that I am not too far from needing to frag the pipe organ, Tubipora Musica. Does anyone have experience with this? I know you need the get the entire length of the "tube". Other than that, any tricks or tips for me?

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals have arrived. Everything looks as big or bigger than I expected from the photos. Even have a baby feather duster in one of the bags that I'll try and save. It's mind blowing how tight the Goni has managed to retract. Looks like a rock with some shiny red speckles. I can't wait to get them acclimated and under the lights.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 March:
@Vivid Aquariums order arrived. This was my first time ordering from them and the entire experience, for me, was flawless. Everyone looked good and matched the pictures exactly. The only difference was the Fox Flame colors, which from what I have read everywhere is to be expected from an angry acro.

First things first, time for a dip and visual inspection.
IMG_6911.jpg

Only thing I found was a feather duster which I put into the tank pre-dip. Hopefully it makes it but I have two wrasses that are always on the prowl...

Everyone then went into the frag rack to settle in.
IMG_6914.jpg

That evening everyone was looking pretty good for day one!
IMG_6916.jpg
IMG_6917.jpg
IMG_6918.jpg

Last night I took a few pictures because it seems like the corals were looking really good.
IMG_6990.jpg
IMG_6992.jpg
IMG_6994.jpg

The LA Lakers Scroll coral looks much better under the white lights than the blues. I'll have to get a better picture tonight.

The Goniopora looks so good in person. I can't wait for it to grow out!

The Fox Flame had some polyp extension and looked to be getting some better color to me. At this point am I really happy with the tank. The only problems I seem to find are most certainly self created.

Moving on to other tank life, I finally found the sleeping location of the c. Rubeus! He's been wedging in between the rock and the Pipe Organ.
IMG_6928.jpg

Finally, I thought these guys had all died. I found three of them in the batch of coral I got from a tank shutdown. I added them, despite the bad rap they get, because the wife and I like them. Last weekend I managed to find two of them still roaming around so I can only assume the other is still alive.
IMG_6937.jpg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention the sea hare didn't make it. Not sure if it was due to acclimation or something else. It definitely had enough food. I don't think we will try another. The wife doesn't like things dying that she picked. The silver lining is I got it out before any complications could arise.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back