OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caved and ordered the @Polyplab Coral View Lens from @premiumaquatics . I keep seeing all these beautiful photos that look like some of the pieces in my tank but my photos are trash. I'll post up a comparison when it arrives. I can't wait.

For now, this is the best I can do.

a.jpg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suggestions for a different phone camera lens to try for photos?

My setup is not conducive to the Coral View V2 lens. Pretty bummed out but everyone involved in the process was great to deal with.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sucked into the @WWC live sale today. haha

Anyone want to assist me with laying out my zoa garden? They will be arriving Friday.

This is what I am thinking at the moment. It's going on the center structure in my tank so I need to maintain the shape here.

Capture.jpg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my next post I want to say that @premiumaquatics was great to deal with in handling the lens I tried. They worked really hard to help me through this. In the end it just would not work for me. I found a couple other postings where this was also the case. I am in no way saying it is a bad product as there is an overwhelming amount of positive postings about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be deterred from getting the quality of pictures I have seen and wanted I decided to try another lens. One with separate 15k and 20k filters as people that had my issue said that this style worked for them previously. I purchased the IceCap clip on kit.

First off, I have no use for the wide angle lens as I am using the iPhone 11. If you don't know, this phone has a pretty impressive wide angle camera in it already.

I love this thing. It works exactly as I had hoped. I was pretty out of it last night as either my buddy or my kid/nephew gave me some kind of bug but I managed to get some full tank shots. I'll let you be the judge but having only the 20k filter on made it look the closest to what my eyes were seeing. All images below are with all auto settings on the phone and 100% blues on two OceanRevive t247s, no whites.

No filter, raw image.
no filter.jpg

20k filter
20k like my eyes.jpg

15k filter
15k.jpg

A bit of explanation may be needed before proceeding. The two lenses mentioned above will stack. Meaning you can screw them to one another, in any fashion. When I say 15 under 20, I mean the 15k lens is screwed onto the phone clip first, then the 20k lens is screwed onto that. I am a technician by nature so I have to try every variable. I can see a difference between the stacking order rather there is supposed to be one or not.

15k under 20k
15k under 20k.jpg

20k under 15k
20k under 15k.jpg

I cant wait to get home tonight and try full tank shots with the whites on as well to see if there is a difference. I'll also FINALLY be able to get you all some nice coral shots and figure out the best lighting and filter combo to make them look like what I can see in person.

I also have a new coral recovery story starting. I had written this guy off as dead but it has started growing back since I figured out how to keep my system stable. I am excited for it to grow back. This little thing had some unbelieveable sweepers on it for being the size of a blueberry.

JF Burning Banana Stylocoeniella
I'll work on getting better close in shots after figuring out the best lighting and filter combo as I mentioned earlier.
burning banana stylo.jpg

Speaking of growth, this little critter had a growth spurt. Due right around my birthday, I cant wait. This will be my first born.
baby.jpg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a pretty picture but an exciting one for me.

6CB52A12-2ADB-4226-94DD-70C58B1B5951.jpeg

The zoas have arrived. The Radioactive Dragoneyes nearly didn’t make it. The bag tried to empty. The spilled water collected in the bag holding all the individual bags so I was able to rebag quickly then head home from work.
The good and bad part was that it was one of my $5 frags. On one hand, it’s just $5. On the other it’s the steal of a deal. Haha

8BAE203B-43C9-4D46-B5E7-F360D77B0EEE.jpeg
C12AD725-2096-45F9-8E90-E230A035AE08.jpeg
1C809BBA-FCE4-4E6D-82C0-6161B0ED75CF.jpeg

After a quick dip I put them in an overnight QT to relax a bit. I’ll transfer them to my DT tomorrow after dumping some Xenia out of my frag rack.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a fancy zoa assortment you have there

Thank you. I’ve wanted a zoa garden from the start but kept delaying for some reason. I managed to do well on the @WWC live sale Monday. I can’t wait to get them placed in my DT.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These builds & journeys are incredible. I hope the OP goes back and reviews the changes and accomplishments he/she has attained from the beginning. It's easy for an outsider to watch/read of your journey. But when you go back, whether it's in these journals or in just pictures, you'll appreciate how far you have come in a short period of time.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These builds & journeys are incredible. I hope the OP goes back and reviews the changes and accomplishments he/she has attained from the beginning. It's easy for an outsider to watch/read of your journey. But when you go back, whether it's in these journals or in just pictures, you'll appreciate how far you have come in a short period of time.

Its incredible. The main reasons I did this, like many others, was so I could look back at it all and hopefully to help others along their way. I have WAY too many photos from start to here as well.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is in the tank and settling in. Still a couple polyps left to open up but they all look good. Look like some algae is irritating one of them. I’m hoping a hermit or snail will climb on and get to work. It’s too tight for the fish to handle. If it turns out to be something they don’t like, there’s always the option of chemical warfare. Haha The biggest set is the one that lost most of the water in shipping. I guess it’s pretty resilient because it was the first to fully open up.

486CA503-A128-491C-8FC3-922DDA32D3BA.jpeg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas are settling in nicely. It looks like I may lose a polyp or two of the blue watermelon. Not seeing any reason why but that is an acceptable loss. The rest of the group is open and reactive. I moved the rack up a bit last yesterday. Another three inches and they'll be in as much light as they'll ever get. I'm thinking it might be bryopsis on the Dragonball zoas. I might go ahead and treat it for such in the QT before it spreads in the DT. I have had great luck treating it in the past but it's stressfull on the ulva lactuca being removed from light for a week.

zoas.jpg

I'm not sure what this guy was up to or how he got on the rack but it was pretty impressive. At least he was gentle enough while cleaning the pipe organ to not break it. This was a frag my foxface broke off while eating seaweed like a madman.

hermit.jpg

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random thought of the day. Just about the time I started thinking I took far too many photos of life in the tank, it came in handy. My better half noticed a polyp of something rolling around the sand. It was closed up tight so I couldn't tell what it was but it seemed to resemble a zoa. I looked back and sure enough, it was one of the polyps of Rising Sun. Photo showed four and I was only seeing three. Apparently a hermit got a little overzealous while cleaning the frags up and nipped one off. I glued what looked like the base down and it was opened back up within the hour.

That brings us to a second mini update. Blue Leg hermits are quite efficient. The frags and the rack we getting a bit hairy so I moved it to touch a rock. Four hermits climbed on and went to town. By morning, they looked like new. All the hair, as well as what I thought was bryopsis, was gone.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some new friends this past week and picked up some nice new pieces. Hopefully I can figure out placement for everyone this week.

Blasto, pretty close to the Fifth Element I have now.
188FE219-189C-4596-BFA3-5543B4194C1C.jpeg

I’m not sure what my Duncan is but this looks like a shorter tentacle variety.
20CD56D9-ED90-4FC3-B978-FDB65D1EC118.jpeg

Forest Fire digi
792C4822-F0EB-4EEC-91B4-A1B3668B37EA.jpeg

(Fireworks(?)) clove polyps and GSP for the back wall
4FAB2FD8-C682-4D58-B2C8-CA9F750C1EDC.jpeg

Unknown (for now) zoa rock.
B1E8F09A-877B-44F4-A114-11802DCE55A7.jpeg

Rock Flower nem. Seems happy with the spot I gave it, for now.
4E4536D9-BC19-47B0-8BA3-71528CC07C11.jpeg

Red digi. Green/Purple and Blue/Gold/Green acans. Red monti cap. Mystic encrusting monti. Tubs Stellata Monti. Toxic splatter hammer. I could use some help ID’ing the mushroom beside the mystic monti.
FB92603C-41E9-49DB-BB49-303852BB5518.jpeg

As he was cleaning up he saw this little guy in the sand. I’m all about recovery stories so I was excited to give this Birdsnest a home.
A7BD9C51-2363-4E07-8E81-87FD7F01622B.jpeg

This little guy came home with me too. I’m hoping he’ll link up with my red pair.
798D93B8-75AE-4593-8ABE-FB3E6225DB1F.jpeg

So, anyone want to come drown in superglue with me?

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess it’s trying to live up to it’s name. I feel like I need a proper nem but they scare me. Especially with everything I have in the tank. For now I suppose it’s happy with the rock flower.

9FB3B0DA-13CC-4A70-8C78-2653E9119135.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I post up my new corals and an overall update of the tank I am kicking around the idea of a canopy. Or at least something to knock down the light pollution in my room. It doesn't bother anyone, yet. I'm just trying to be proactive. Any ideas? Lights are currently 17" off the waters surface. I could certainly lower them and lower the output to compensate if the corals react poorly. It would probably be best to get a PAR meter and do this, huh? haha

IMG_5782.JPG

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about a year and planning on a 120, I have a 90 long up and running. I am now (im)patiently waiting for full cycle so why not start my build thread.

IMG_0246.jpg

My father had a "pet shop" within his feed and seed business when I was growing up. I would sit for hours at a time watching the fish. I ended up with a job where I am frequently out on the water. I have always been fascinated by sea life but a work trip to Fiji really started a fire. Somehow, I kept finding reasons why I didn't need a tank. Fast forward several years and my fiance brought along a 50g freshwater tank when we moved her in. I would sit for at least an hour a day staring into her tank, watching all the fish and shrimp interact with one another. I thought that would placate my salty desires but alas, here I am...

By nature I over analyze EVERYTHING so I started out by researching for about a year. I really liked the idea of an AIO tank. CJsAquariums was a huge inspiration. I learned a lot watching through all of his success and failure and many other YouTubers. However, everything I knew I wanted needed more space and I like gadgets. I ended up ordering the SCA90 long PNP on a Black Friday special.

IMG_8214.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

Before I go on, after all my changes I still got a good deal and am happy with that decision. Haha So, Once the excitement wore off I realized I would not be able to handle the stress of having an MDF stand. I set about building my own between work trips. I am good at carpentry but I loathe it for some reason. I enjoyed the building process but I don't think I'll every paint my own stand again...

IMG_9424.jpg

IMG_9747.jpg

55932442832__DFC52D7B-AFA5-4774-A256-B6E72314C821.JPG

IMG_9781.jpg

I can finally relax and enjoy my tank. No, wait, a year of research did not prepare me for all the work involved in doing it all yourself. I that line scared you off, don't let it. The end result is well worth the work.

I already knew I wanted to run the "Triton Method" BUT using ATI essentials. My provided sump design did not facilitate this. More fun (I actually really did enjoy this part). I was all over the map during this process so yes, the pictures will seem out of order. Made the compartments just big enough for their respective items and the fuge as big as possible for nutrient export. I set the skimmer chamber waterline at the max for recommended operation of the skimmer.

IMG_9605.jpg

IMG_9609.jpg

There we have it. Yes, I just realized I forgot to take a picture of my sump before the changes. It took a lot of elbow grease and 2 razor blades to remove all the silicone from moving the glass panels around.

Now you find out who your friends are. Time to move the stand and the dreaded tank inside. If you are unfamiliar with SCA, they have 1/2", rimless, euro-braced tanks with a center overflow. You can have them build to your spec and Steve is great to work with. My one regret is not going with a "ghost" overflow to free up more room in the center of the tank. However, this tank is a test for me. If I succeed and enjoy it I will be moving to something around 240g and giving this to the lady to convert to freshwater.

IMG_9825.jpg

It's in! I wanted a stand with room inside to hide everything and on top for food, testing and whatever else I'm currently unaware of. Still deciding on how to make door. For now, we shall use a curtain (after I finish staring at it nonstop, every night).

I wasted no time in getting to work to clean up my enormous pile of goods so I could reclaim the garage from myself. Sounds like a good spot for a list:
SCA90 long PNP (includes skimmer) with modified sump
Hand built stand
RedSea screen top kit
Ocean Revive t247 LEDs x2
MaxSpect Gyre xf230 x2
IceCap Battery Backup
Billy's Reef Connection dry rock
Natures Ocean live sand in Samoa Pink
Reef Crystals salt
Jebao DCP15000 return pump (holy overkill, I like it)
Bubble Magus T11 dosing pump
Ming dosing reservoir
Kessil H380 fuge light
InkBird temp controllers
Finnex Titanium primary heater
Eheim Jager secondary heater
Tunze ATO
lots of testing and maintenance goodies

Plumbing time. I really regretted (not at the time) doing this in the house. Listen to the instructions and be well ventilated.

56052999417__2D1FC69E-2ABC-4587-9933-E0DDAC25B196.JPG

IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg

The far let pipe is the main drain. It dumps into my refugium. Controlled by a gate valve from BRS to get a full siphon and utilizes dual 45s instead of 90s for possibility of less flow restriction. It exits 2" below the waterline and runs silent. Return line has 2 90's and has NO PROBLEM with flow. Emergency drain is well above the waterline. This is great and serves as an alarm that something is wrong with the flow or main drain. The white lighting diffuser serves as a media/filter floss tray.

Add the skimmer, gyres and heaters and now looks like a good time to water test everything. I did do a tank leak test outdoors first. That still didn't prepare me for the stress of filling this thing in the house.

IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg

Success! No leaks and all works. Time to drain this as it isn't RODI water and begin the rest of the process. Time to hook up all the gadgets and start my reefscape. Many ideas and lots of failures.

More to come tomorrow as I am out of time (and available file uploads) for today.

Thank you for checking out my build.
Awesome job brother looks great hard work always pays off when u love what u do. I must admit I’m a bit jealous of ur setup all shiney and new. Good luck I’m sure u will get enjoyment out of it

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job brother looks great hard work always pays off when u love what u do. I must admit I’m a bit jealous of ur setup all shiney and new. Good luck I’m sure u will get enjoyment out of it
I work in ocean every day it’s the best office view you could have

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back