- Joined
- Mar 22, 2025
- Messages
- 130
- Reaction score
- 83
- Location
- Bardstown
- What state or country do you live in
- Kentucky
Well. Had all the plans set on a Planet Aquariums 310, and then a beauty passed by my eyes, and I pulled the trigger.
So now I have a 96x30x31 Glass Cages tank with a 6 drain coast-to-coast external overflow box on a 40" powder-coated stand. This thing is a MONSTER. Shout out to Cheezy Corals in New Albany, IN, for the crazy deal on it.
Time to start from the beginning, I posted in my local reefer group on the hunt for an 8ft or larger tank. The primary reason is that I want large fish and have attachment issues, so my Achilles Tang needs a bigger home than my Peninsula 650 can provide. A few solid deals popped up, but this one caught my eye, I sent a message, set up a time to come check her out, and I was instantly hooked on it.
The Groundwork
Given the size of the tank and its location in my house, I knew I was going to have to make some changes. First things first, the room it was going in had carpet. Huge no-no. So ripped it out and placed a 9 ft x 4 ft inset with LVP. I like it. Is it my best work? No. Have I ever done anything flooring-related? Also no... So I'll take it. I'll eventually go back through and replace the trim so I can try to picture frame it. But that's a mission for another day. Second thing. Electrical. This tank, I already knew, was going to pull a ton of power. So, I pulled some old breakers for what used to be radiant heating and ran two 2-gang outlets, each on its own 20-amp circuit. Leaves me 40 amps total to play with. If that ain't enough, well.... I got nothing.
So now I have a 96x30x31 Glass Cages tank with a 6 drain coast-to-coast external overflow box on a 40" powder-coated stand. This thing is a MONSTER. Shout out to Cheezy Corals in New Albany, IN, for the crazy deal on it.
Time to start from the beginning, I posted in my local reefer group on the hunt for an 8ft or larger tank. The primary reason is that I want large fish and have attachment issues, so my Achilles Tang needs a bigger home than my Peninsula 650 can provide. A few solid deals popped up, but this one caught my eye, I sent a message, set up a time to come check her out, and I was instantly hooked on it.
The Groundwork
Given the size of the tank and its location in my house, I knew I was going to have to make some changes. First things first, the room it was going in had carpet. Huge no-no. So ripped it out and placed a 9 ft x 4 ft inset with LVP. I like it. Is it my best work? No. Have I ever done anything flooring-related? Also no... So I'll take it. I'll eventually go back through and replace the trim so I can try to picture frame it. But that's a mission for another day. Second thing. Electrical. This tank, I already knew, was going to pull a ton of power. So, I pulled some old breakers for what used to be radiant heating and ran two 2-gang outlets, each on its own 20-amp circuit. Leaves me 40 amps total to play with. If that ain't enough, well.... I got nothing.


. Or maybe you are. Didn’t really understand it