90gal Tang Suggestions

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so this is my first post and I know I am running the risk of the Tang Police getting on my case, but here goes.

I’m three months into my new 90gal reef adventure. I went for the RedSea 350 and currently have:

Yellow Damsel (inherited and also a pain in the rear)
Clownfish
Royal gramma
Mandarin Goby

All fish are doing well, all but the Gramma were transferred over from my old established nano.

I want to concentrate getting the water parameters right for growing corals, but I am also thinking what I would like to stock the tank with.

I’m fairly set on getting a flame Angel (and taking the risk with any future corals) and then I was thinking about if my tank could accommodate any tangs, I know I’m struggling at 4ft. So I’ve ruled out the obvious larger tangs and my question comes down to these two.

Do experienced reefers think a Yellow Tang and/or a Yellow Eye Kole Tang could be kept happily in a 4ft 90gal tank?

Cheers
PS

Last edited by a moderator:

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs (like the yellow eye kole, tomini, etc) typically remain smaller than other tang groups, even yellows. If there is sufficient swimming space, my vote would be the kole. They also tend to be a little more aggressive with algae than yellows.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote a tomini tang, related to the mole but nicer IMO. Also if you can find one a whitetail bristletooth tang.

OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions both. Time to research more about the Tomini and look into the Whitetail. Hadn’t seen one of these before but they look pretty cool. I feel my tank won’t be complete without a Tang, but defo is want to get one that can thrive in my tank and not just survive. I’ve not gone over the top with the aquascape so decent swimming space.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I have a yellow, purple. Tomini and gold rim in my 90 gallon. They are all fat and happy with minimal aggression.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs (like the yellow eye kole, tomini, etc) typically remain smaller than other tang groups, even yellows. If there is sufficient swimming space, my vote would be the kole. They also tend to be a little more aggressive with algae than yellows.
+1
I have a blue eye bristletooth in my 4' 75. Very hard worker and plays nicely

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, a belated WELCOME TO R2R! My yellow eye Kole tang is an algae eating machine. Pretty active, but plays well with everyone else. One of my favorite fish.

OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t think I’m experienced or brave enough to go that route...would love a purple tang though!!

Man I have a yellow, purple. Tomini and gold rim in my 90 gallon. They are all fat and happy with minimal aggression.

OP
OP
PapaShrimp

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers folks. The Yellow Eye Kole Tang is bossing the opinion polls...they do look pretty lively and any algae eating fish can only be a positive. Anyone had issues with them knocking over rocks? They seem pretty manic

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back