Status
Not open for further replies.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this picture of a RS Reefer 350.. and now.. everyone loose your minds. LOL.. yes, I’m stiring the tang police pot.

That clown is as big as some tangs in that.

FWIW total water volume including sump is 91g. Display is 73g and length is 47”

9D404F1E-6A1C-4DFF-9551-47CBE5838301.jpeg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my older age I just let stuff like this go. At this stage information is readily available, so the owner absolutely knows what he is doing is not in the best interest of his animals. If he wants to continue then that is his free right to, as it is my free right to judge him.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's always assuming the worst...I'm sure he has a friend with a bigger tank that he's already got plans to move them to, or he's cycling the 180 gallon in his basement right now, or his LFS has the "rental tang" program - you pay by the month and when it gets too big you just give it back.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's always assuming the worst...I'm sure he has a friend with a bigger tank that he's already got plans to move them to, or he's cycling the 180 gallon in his basement right now, or his LFS has the "rental tang" program - you pay by the month and when it gets too big you just give it back.
Haha, LEASE-A-TANG

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, LEASE-A-TANG
Yeah...I just realized if that becomes a thing one - I need to license it and get a share of the profits and two - I need to apologize to the hobby for all the soon to be homeless overgrown tangs.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know man. What do you all expect? This is a reasonably large tank at ~75g. If you are trying to gatekeep the ownership of any tangs to 100g tank owners or bigger, like 5% of the people in this hobby will have tangs.

In a couple of years maybe this person will need a plan, but folks need to be reasonable here.

I was expecting some 30g cube with three tangs, this tank is more than twice that. I think the tang police may be a little overzealous here.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people grow out fish and then trade them. I wouldn't do it but ive seen way way way worse.

We need to hear the story before letting our emotions cloud are judgement. Imho that is

champyeti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know man. What do you all expect? This is a reasonably large tank at ~75g. If you are trying to gatekeep the ownership of any tangs to 100g tank owners or bigger, like 5% of the people in this hobby will have tangs.

In a couple of years maybe this person will need a plan, but folks need to be reasonable here.

I was expecting some 30g cube with three tangs, this tank is more than twice that. I think the tang police may be a little overzealous here.
Is it such a bad thing if only 5% of hobbyists have a fish that needs more space than 95% of hobbyists can provide, though?

There are plenty of great nano fish. Gobies and blennies who dont care about having long swimming corridors. Tang ownership isnt a necessity.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still blame the owner for not researching the requirements for their purchases.

Could you fully blame them though? I could absolutely see a LFS (And no I'm not referring to a good LFS) suggesting this kind of thing. And some who may or may not know will often refer to there LFS for solid advice and take what they say as such.

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know stores that will sell you a full grown shark for a 5 gal tank.

it might fit in a 2.5 gal tank, its on sale for $99.99 how many do you want?
Thank you for shopping at Petco

so not all is the buyers fault, They just need to do more research rather buying impulse

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe instead of effectively eliminating tang ownership from this hobby, a much more attainable and realistic goal would be to make it common knowledge that these critters can live 40+ years, so stop treating them like a disposable pet insect with a one year lifespan.

This statement bothers me far more than the above tank with tangs (and I see it often): "Rats, my tank just crashed for the Nth time, I am off to the LFS to load back up on livestock". People need to put a much higher premium on the lives of their pets. If you manage to crash a system 3+ times, it is time to consider another hobby...

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Today I was at the lfs to buy a couple of cauderni. I did see tiny tangs. Like an inch in zise. I for one have an agreement with my lfs. Once I was given an chaetodon Bennet I to get it to feed. When I got it to eat I brought it back. But the point.... Tiny or small tangs can in my opinion life in smaller tanks. Provided that the owner re homes it when it is getting to big for the tank. Or go bigger in tank zise. I had an small scopas tang it grew fat and fast. Now it is in the show tank of that lfs.
But if it is not your intention to go bigger. Choose suitable live stock.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many people are motivated by the instant gratification or status that pets can bring and are either not interested in the long term relationship most of us have with our pets or as I suspect more often just too self absorbed and immature for responsibility of another life. While I can accept that when my 3 year old asks for a puppy, I have less understanding when it's an adult. Do your research and ask me before you make a purchase or adoption and I'll be as informative and patient as I can.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep tangs in a 40b and trade them in for smaller ones when they get too big. The lfs makes out on the deal ( bigger costs more ) but I can keep the fish I like so it’s a even trade in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back