Just Started my Second Ich Battle in 3 Years

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here, I have been a lurker for many years (17 years reefing) and wanted to share what has worked for me prior when combating ich without any scientific evidence to back up my approach. In other words, I have combined many approaches from Humblefish, Paul Baldassano, Jessican, random posts, and a little bit of luck. Ich is a terrible parasite and it's the worst feeling to have your fish go through this while knowing there is no full proof medication that can be offered within an established reef tank.

This approach is a combination of outstanding individuals that have given their time (never met or messaged) and not a representation of eradication, but to minimize the number of free-swimming parasites in the tank for the fish to build an immunity.

2020 Background/Tank Info

-Prior to moving to a Redsea XXL 750 G2 reef tank (Oct 2022), these fish were housed in a Redsea Reefer 525XL since January 2020.
-Purchased all items from a LFS that had a "prior to purchase" quarantine process (consisted of furan/metroplex for 2 weeks).
- Initial Ich outbreak was December 2020 once Tangs were introduced to the aquarium.
-Spent days catching all fish in my reef tank to move them to quarantine for best known outcome (Copper treatment).
-Had to order the smallest fishhooks I could find from Japan to catch 3 blue chromis and my lawnmower blenny (still with me to this day with no sign of previous capture using hook).
- Setup 2 quarantine tanks to dose with Cupramine (copper).

Fish in home quarantine included - 2020 Ich Show Down
-Yellow Tang - Still Here
-Sailfin Tang - Lost
-Hippo Tang - Still Here
-Cleaner Wrasse - Still Here
-Bristle Tooth Tang - Lost
-Clown Fish - Still Here (9 Years old/ Started in Pico Tank as a tank raised baby clown)
-2 Storm Trooper Clowns - Still Here
-3 Blue Chromis - Still Here
-Lawn Mower Blenny - Still Here
-Diamond Goby - Lost
-Pearly Jawfish - Lost
-Lyretail Anthias - Lost a year later/Non ich related from what I can tell
-Splendid Dottyback - Lost
-FoxFace Rabbitfish - Still Here
-Mandarin - Still here

After 6 days of starting the copper treatment, I moved my fish back into the display tank due to some fish not tolerating treatment in their late stage of ICH. Outside of dying (mentioned above), I noticed some fish not eating and pure lethargy. I felt that more fish would be lost if I kept the infected fish in copper at the stage of ich they were experiencing.

I continued to do research as we do when combating this parasite looking for any new advances within the topic and entered the edge of the internet (scary place), finding Paul Baldassano's approach and lack luster sense of humor :). After reading Paul's article, I found a website that sold black worms and ordered what I thought would be a reasonable amount... For anyone who has never ordered black worms before, a half-pound goes a long way. Ask me how much my wife liked opening up her subzero refrigerator and seeing trays of black worms on the second shelf (worms needed to be rinsed every day).

Below is my approach that allowed me to combat Ich in my display tank and visibly be Ich free for the better part of 2 years.

Display Reef Sextuple Threat (get your mind out of the gutter/means 6 times)-

UV - 25-Watt Low Flow - UV Intake and Return Only in Sump
Black Worms & Nori - Every Day During Treatment
LRS Food- Reef Frenzy, Herbivore Mix
Selcon Vitamins - Every Feeding minus black worms
3 Water changes and vacuum a week
Polyp Lab Medic - 6 am triple dose and 10 pm triple dose with UV off for one hour after (Polyplab crushed up/mixed/and in to return sump for 25 days)

I am proud to say that this over-the-top approach created an environment where Ich no longer appeared on my fish for a total of 2 years within my aquarium.

But wait, there's more....

Fast forward 2 years and my RS 525 XL stand started to warp. Redsea was kind enough to provide me a new stand or a credit towards a new tank. Of course, I took advantage of the savings on a sweet new G2 model and needed more fish!

After being ich free visibly for 2 years I recently saw some flashing on my hippo tang which turned into a few white spots a couple weeks later. The only thing that had changed is the addition of new fish that were added to the tank. I cannot claim whether or not it was a new fish or a flare up from my previous episode a couple years prior. The company I used to purchase fish this time is a reputable online group that quarantines for 30 days and has amazing reviews. It wasn't until the last order out of multiple that I experienced this outbreak on my hippo tang.

Current Fish - 2022 Ich Show Down

-Hippo Tang - Still Here
-Clown Fish - Still Here (9 Years old/ Started in Pico Tank as a tank raised baby clown)
-2 Storm Trooper Clowns - Still here
-Mandarin - Still here
-Valentini Puffer - New Fish within 2 Months
-Blotched Anthias - New fish within 2 Months
-Gem Tang - New Fish Within 2 Months
-Splendid Dottyback - New Fish Within 2 Months
-Helfrichi Fire Fish - New Fish Within 2 Months
- 4 pajama Cardinals - New Fish Within 2 Months

SO, needless to say I have started my old regiment to see if I can do this one more time (fingers crossed).

I am currently on day 5 with the following setup - (no Fish Loss to date and improving spot wise due to Ich life cycle) -

LRS Food- Reef Frenzy, Herbivore Mix, Chunky
Polyp Lab Medic - 6 am triple dose and 10 pm triple dose with UV off for one hour after (Polyplab crushed up/mixed/and in to return sump for 25 days)

If anyone is interested, I can keep my progress posted for review over the next month or so.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

thumbnail_IMG_1384.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1385.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1388.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hank,

I am happy to post and share my journey as things change within the tank.

Nothing new to report at this time outside of less spots on my hippo due to the ich life cycle. Hoping to catch some free swimmers and also vacuum some parasites from the sand during tomorrow's water change.

The blackworms are from - http:/s/shop.easternaquatics.com/

Shipping can be a bit expensive, but I have found they are worth every penny during an outbreak.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I’m curious to see how this second time around works out . Last February ich appeared in my tank effecting all my fish. After much research I did a similar regiment as you . I increased feeding and variety and added Selcon, Vitachem and Garlic Extreme to each feeding. I used Polylab Medic and added a UV. No fish loss and have been ich free since ( I know it’s still in there waiting for the right conditions). I wish you luck.

OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I’m curious to see how this second time around works out . Last February ich appeared in my tank effecting all my fish. After much research I did a similar regiment as you . I increased feeding and variety and added Selcon, Vitachem and Garlic Extreme to each feeding. I used Polylab Medic and added a UV. No fish loss and have been ich free since ( I know it’s still in there waiting for the right conditions). I wish you luck.
Thank you for the kind words and sharing your approach!

no ich present today (day 7) as expected due to the life cycle. I’ll continue with my approach for another 17 days.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here, I have been a lurker for many years (17 years reefing) and wanted to share what has worked for me prior when combating ich without any scientific evidence to back up my approach. In other words, I have combined many approaches from Humblefish, Paul Baldassano, Jessican, random posts, and a little bit of luck. Ich is a terrible parasite and it's the worst feeling to have your fish go through this while knowing there is no full proof medication that can be offered within an established reef tank.

This approach is a combination of outstanding individuals that have given their time (never met or messaged) and not a representation of eradication, but to minimize the number of free-swimming parasites in the tank for the fish to build an immunity.

-Prior to moving to a Redsea XXL 750 G2 reef tank (Oct 2022), these fish were housed in a Redsea Reefer 525XL since January 2020.
-Purchased all items from a LFS that had a "prior to purchase" quarantine process (consisted of furan/metroplex for 2 weeks).
- Initial Ich outbreak was December 2020 once Tangs were introduced to the aquarium.
-Spent days catching all fish in my reef tank to move them to quarantine for best known outcome (Copper treatment).
-Had to order the smallest fishhooks I could find from Japan to catch 3 blue chromis and my lawnmower blenny (still with me to this day with no sign of previous capture using hook).

-Sailfin Tang - Lost
-Hippo Tang - Still Here
-Diamond Goby - Lost
-Pearly Jawfish - Lost
-Mandarin - Still here

After 6 days of starting the copper treatment, I moved my fish back into the display tank due to some fish not tolerating treatment in their late stage of ICH. Outside of dying (mentioned above), I noticed some fish not eating and pure lethargy. I felt that more fish would be lost if I kept the infected fish in copper at the stage of ich they were experiencing.

I continued to do research as we do when combating this parasite looking for any new advances within the topic and entered the edge of the internet (scary place), finding Paul Baldassano's approach and lack luster sense of humor :). After reading Paul's article, I found a website that sold black worms and ordered what I thought would be a reasonable amount... For anyone who has never ordered black worms before, a half-pound goes a long way. Ask me how much my wife liked opening up her subzero refrigerator and seeing trays of black worms on the second shelf (worms needed to be rinsed every day).

Below is my approach that allowed me to combat Ich in my display tank and visibly be Ich free for the better part of 2 years.

I am proud to say that this over-the-top approach created an environment where Ich no longer appeared on my fish for a total of 2 years within my aquarium.

Fast forward 2 years and my RS 525 XL stand started to warp. Redsea was kind enough to provide me a new stand or a credit towards a new tank. Of course, I took advantage of the savings on a sweet new G2 model and needed more fish!

After being ich free visibly for 2 years I recently saw some flashing on my hippo tang which turned into a few white spots a couple weeks later. The only thing that had changed is the addition of new fish that were added to the tank. I cannot claim whether or not it was a new fish or a flare up from my previous episode a couple years prior. The company I used to purchase fish this time is a reputable online group that quarantines for 30 days and has amazing reviews. It wasn't until the last order out of multiple that I experienced this outbreak on my hippo tang.

-Hippo Tang - Still Here
-Mandarin - Still here

SO, needless to say I have started my old regiment to see if I can do this one more time (fingers crossed).

I am currently on day 5 with the following setup - (no Fish Loss to date and improving spot wise due to Ich life cycle) -

If anyone is interested, I can keep my progress posted for review over the next month or so.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

Josh it is people like you who continue to contribute to the continued success of this hobby. I appreciate the humor in the post, a sad subject but still able to get through a large chunk of text without boring me. Best of luck to you on your second adventure. Keep that chin up

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words and sharing your approach!

no ich present today (day 7) as expected due to the life cycle. I’ll continue with my approach for another 17 days.
I will be eager to see how the second round goes so that if, probably when, it occurs to my tank I’ll know what to expect.

OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update is no ich on fish. Hoping the second round doesn’t come back on the hippo. Will update soon.
Day 11 and hippo has a few white spots that have come back. He is the only fish in the tank currently with visible spots.

I just performed a water change and will continue to dose polyplab medic (triple dose) for another 10 days.

OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11 and hippo has a few white spots that have come back. He is the only fish in the tank currently with visible spots.

I just performed a water change and will continue to dose polyplab medic (triple dose) for another 10 days.

I have been ich free and have not lost any fish since this initial flare up. There have also been 16 fish added to the tank over that past 6 months. All purchased from TSM due to my lack of quarantine setup. Polyp lab and H202 regiment/time ended the ich issue I was experiencing. Pm me if you want the details of my daily regiment. Thx!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B
Hey I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to summon Paul to see how things worked out feeding live foods as part of a "cure" regimen for ich. There are a lot of folks who don't believe that a good diet is so important to helping fish fight diseases. I collect clams from the beach for our fish. I shuck them and feed them fresh or freeze them and thaw them some daily to keep them healthy. I don't have a UV but am considering getting one for algae issues and to ward off any evil if my fish should catch something that the can't seem to shake. So far I have not needed UV for Ich, chopped fresh or frozen clams keep them disease free.
Dont Be Afraid Emergency Room GIF
:cool:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

-Sailfin Tang - Lost
-Hippo Tang - Still Here
-Diamond Goby - Lost
-Pearly Jawfish - Lost
-Mandarin - Still here

-Hippo Tang - Still Here
-Mandarin - Still here

Thanks for reading,

Josh

This is great. Im currently in ich management although only had a puffer get ich in my tank. What do the black worms do? Also what brand of treatment did you use that didnt harm fish or corals but helped manage the ich??

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar outbreak myself recently. Only thing I did differently was go the hypo salinity route. Started adding selcon to every feeding and added a UV. Havent had an issue since. Good luck keeping the parasites away

OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. Im currently in ich management although only had a puffer get ich in my tank. What do the black worms do? Also what brand of treatment did you use that didnt harm fish or corals but helped manage the ich??
Hello,

Are you referring to the polyplab medic or hydrogen peroxide brand?

OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More curious if the polylab medic helps at all,
I started with and used Polylab for a month and a half at max dose. I then switched to hydrogen peroxide for an additional month.

If I could do it over again, I would likely start with hydrogen peroxide in lieu of polyplab.

I honestly think the game changer is black worms, time, and the largest UV you can fit on your tank.

I now put an order in of black worms once every couple months just to keep the fish exposed to that level of nutrition.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with and used Polylab for a month and a half at max dose. I then switched to hydrogen peroxide for an additional month.

If I could do it over again, I would likely start with hydrogen peroxide in lieu of polyplab.

I honestly think the game changer is black worms, time, and the largest UV you can fit on your tank.

I now put an order in of black worms once every couple months just to keep the fish exposed to that level of nutrition.
Gotcha! Im nervous about the hydrogen peroxide stuff thats why I was looking at the polyplab medic! None of the fish I have in the tank show ich signs but Im feeding every other day with metroplex and focus. I just will be getting a powder blue tang in a couple weeks (longest I could prolong it) and my regal is in QT from getting ich from the main DT. It also killed my new puffer, who I think brought it in my tank which is why the regal got it. Shes doing very well in QT! I just wanted to see if the polyplab would work for this situation? My blue tang is scratching and Im treating the tank with prazipro since I believe its flukes and I had an angelfish who passed from flukes a few months ago in that tank!

OP
OP
L

ledgeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Im nervous about the hydrogen peroxide stuff thats why I was looking at the polyplab medic! None of the fish I have in the tank show ich signs but Im feeding every other day with metroplex and focus. I just will be getting a powder blue tang in a couple weeks (longest I could prolong it) and my regal is in QT from getting ich from the main DT. It also killed my new puffer, who I think brought it in my tank which is why the regal got it. Shes doing very well in QT! I just wanted to see if the polyplab would work for this situation? My blue tang is scratching and Im treating the tank with prazipro since I believe its flukes and I had an angelfish who passed from flukes a few months ago in that tank!
Sorry to hear about your puffer.

Are you looking to eradicate ich from your tank or go the ich management route? You will need to go fallow for a few months (70-80 days I believe) for the ich to die off in your display.

Polyplab medic and hydrogen peroxide fall under ich management.

At the end of the day, polyplab medic is peroxide salts.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your puffer.

Are you looking to eradicate ich from your tank or go the ich management route? You will need to go fallow for a few months (70-80 days I believe) for the ich to die off in your display.

Polyplab medic and hydrogen peroxide fall under ich management.

At the end of the day, polyplab medic is peroxide salts.
Management, I dont have a QT tank I can go fallow in thats big enough to have all my fish be comfortable. They would be cramped and too stressed

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back