93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remind me to add The Clapper to my wish list

Or just do what I just did and add Alexa. It's pretty cool. Of course then you can't go "Clap on! Clap off! Cap on, clap off, the Clapper!"

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's take a deep breath and do a repair and mods on a black box light!

I couldn't video it because the stinkin universal phone holder for my tripod just snapped! (Waisted $32!!!)

Here is the light when you first take the cover off:

IMG_20181130_134720881.jpg

This light is built way better than others I have modded.

Here is the heatsink board out:

IMG_20181130_134924453.jpg

Now, if you notice, there are a bunch of yellow looking ones. We are going to leave a few of these with lenses on them for shimmer on the bottom of the tank. All of the color lenses are going bye bye. They cause hot spots and disco effect.

IMG_20181130_135059139.jpg

Here is the board with all the lenses but a few off:

IMG_20181130_135535770.jpg

The lenses literally just twist off. They are held on by a little hot glue.

Here is the pile of lenses:

IMG_20181130_140645459.jpg

;Happy

Here is the result:

IMG_20181130_140342530.jpg

This is less than 50% on both channels. I will take pics over water asap.

Next up: Diffusor!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap on a cracker!

I had an issue with the power panel setup and was not getting power to 3 of the 18 outlets. 54 tested connections later...

It turns out three jumper wires had internal breaks! I have never seen commercially sold wire have internal breaks.

So now, all outlets test good AND I got the ITC-1000F heater controller wired up. BTW, throw away the wiring diagram that comes with that thing. It's impossible to follow.

Here is the correct way to wire it:

wiringstc1000.jpg

Just move the wires from the refrigerator to heating and your set.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above I mentioned a repair on the light.

I got a deal on it because one of the fans was messed up.

I ordered two of these:

IMG_20181130_140756677.jpg

I didn't take pics but, I desoldered the wiring harness from the original and replaced the one that came on the new fan with it. This way there is not splicing of wires.

I was going to replace both fans but, the airflow and sound level was about identical to me so I figured I would leave it alone.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching up on your build thread, thought I was cheap ;Hilarious Love your control center I just picked up materials to start on mine today.. BTW love me some Dunlop picks :D

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching up on your build thread, thought I was cheap ;Hilarious Love your control center I just picked up materials to start on mine today.. BTW love me some Dunlop picks :D

Lemme know if you want some switches.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme know if you want some switches.

Probably won’t mess with switches as everything is DC so I can shut down stuff with my controllers if needed, mine is not going to be as fancy as yours just a flat panel to mount controllers with a cavity behind to hide the rats nest of wires.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost went the DJ power strip route but they don't come in white and I don't think I would have been happy with it.

Seeing as how this may be the last build I ever do, unless we relocate after my youngest graduates, I figured I would get it just how I like.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I used dunlops for over 30 years until I discover Thalia wood picks. Love them! Also have one of their capos. Amazing piece of equipment. One of the only companies I wear their T-shirt.

Never tried the wood picks I had been using the turtex line by Dunlop for ever but unfortunately I crushed my left hand in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and haven’t really been able to play for a long time.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried the wood picks I had been using the turtex line by Dunlop for ever but unfortunately I crushed my left hand in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and haven’t really been able to play for a long time.

Man! I am so sorry!

When I had my stroke, they told me I would probably never play again. I am not 25% of what I used to be but at least I can chord now. It's a daily struggle but I refuse to give in. I am a bit stubborn.

Maybe you could open tune and learn slide?

My father had a cousin that had one arm cut off by a combine just below the elbow and played fiddle, piano and guitar. Marvin was the "Meanest man in Missouri" But boy could he play! I saw him play when I was little and it fascinated me. He devised implements that strapped to his stub for the bow and a pick holder.

@Retro Reefer if you don't mind, I will pray for you to have a miracle. They happen my friend.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I am so sorry!

When I had my stroke, they told me I would probably never play again. I am not 25% of what I used to be but at least I can chord now. It's a daily struggle but I refuse to give in. I am a bit stubborn.

Maybe you could open tune and learn slide?

My father had a cousin that had one arm cut off by a combine just below the elbow and played fiddle, piano and guitar. Marvin was the "Meanest man in Missouri" But boy could he play! I saw him play when I was little and it fascinated me. He devised implements that strapped to his stub for the bow and a pick holder.

@Retro Reefer if you don't mind, I will pray for you to have a miracle. They happen my friend.

Thanks for your thoughts.. all my friends said the same thing pick up a slide but that’s just not me, I’m a Texas blues nut with my strat set up with a mile high action and 13’s which even with strong hands can be difficult to fret, do double & triple stop bends and vibrato.. unfortunately I’m also stubborn, forcing a Stratocaster into submission is my passion and nothing else really appeals to me.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts.. all my friends said the same thing pick up a slide but that’s just not me, I’m a Texas blues nut with my strat set up with a mile high action and 13’s which even with strong hands can be difficult to fret, do double & triple stop bends and vibrato.. unfortunately I’m also stubborn, forcing a Stratocaster into submission is my passion and nothing else really appeals to me.

Building my own strat knockoff with texas wound pickups from GFS. :)

I understand. I use 12s on electric and 13s on acoustic but I am going to have to go down a notch on acoustic. I also play twelve string (Alvarez) and it's been painful to get back to.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my own strat knockoff with texas wound pickups from GFS. :)

I understand. I use 12s on electric and 13s on acoustic but I am going to have to go down a notch on acoustic. I also play twelve string (Alvarez) and it's been painful to get back to.

I’m running gold lace on my plus deluxe and really like them.. My friend bought his LP over set up with ultra light strings and like a 1/8 action for me to try, it was like squeezing a marshmallow.. lol! No thanks..

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running gold lace on my plus deluxe and really like them.. My friend bought his LP over set up with ultra light strings and like a 1/8 action for me to try, it was like squeezing a marshmallow.. lol! No thanks..

;Hilarious

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might as well update the health thing at this point too.

We had a biometrics thing for insurance at work and my blood test showed 0 cholesterol. Yep! It was immeasurable. Well, I thought "Wow! That's awesome!" WRONG! It's actually bad to not have any at all because it can cause your electrolytes to get out of whack which, in turn, messes up your sugar. OK so diabetic:whacked up electrolytes:messed up sugar= no bueno

So, they sent me for more blood work. Liver panel= perfect Kidney enzymes=darn close to perfect Fasting sugar= great cholesterol still zero so I am off low fat diet (YAY!) but I have to stay on the Lipitor because it helps prevent strokes. That's why my cholesterol is zilch. I never had high numbers to begin with.

It's a dog chasing it's tail at this point. I doubt I will ever get off metformin and trulicity. UGH!

On a positive note, I finally am starting to lose weight again. Since I quit low fat, I am actually losing weight. Go figure. LOL!

Also, I am 7 weeks without a seizure so that is awesome!

Have I mentioned that I think doctors don't know anything about the human body? It's all just guess work.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back