93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I was closer...I could donate some counters to the store and move some Granite and Quartz left overs out of my shop!

Lowell, you are awesome! I wish you were closer as well but not for freebies my friend.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So it wasn't just my experience? I thought I had mentally challenged fish or something.

I actually just chucked it after a few tries. Shame. Really good price point for what it is.

Thus far, I am for sure carrying Reef Nutrition (all of them) and frozen Ocean Nutrition.

I need to give you some samples of stuff I have if you don't mind testing some food for me.
I don't mind at all. I'm always up for trying new things.

I'm loving the Reef Nutrition Chroma line. My fish go absolutely nuts for it. Haven't tried their frozen products yet.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing there yet but there will be shortly.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind at all. I'm always up for trying new things.

I'm loving the Reef Nutrition Chroma line. My fish go absolutely nuts for it. Haven't tried their frozen products yet.

I haven't gotten their frozen either.

I will get with you soon and give you some food.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a suggestion from someone at work to make this more interesting. I should get the prices of everything new and doing nothing myself (like building the stand) and see just how much this would have cost.

Now THIS will be revealing! ;Wideyed
Wonderful progress, take your time, be well FIRST! Will follow this build. I got my 90 bow frt off of Letgo.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just put down an insane amount of money for a sump, I hope it's all worth it;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

Where did you place the order? What is the projected delivery date? Also curious if you ever contacted Lowell?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you place the order? What is the projected delivery date? Also curious if you ever contacted Lowell?

I placed my order with a Canadian company, delivery date currently unknown and I'll be honest, I did not contact lowell. I have a rather specific project outside of the sump itself as well and I wanted to work with someone who I know can put my visions into reality (Not that Lowell can't) and to be able to support a Canadian company with it was also important. There are a couple other reasons but those are the bigger ones

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lighting a large freshwater system with LED can be a challenge. Using non-commercial lights usually won't have enough power or take a bunch of them making them cost prohibitive and a maintenance nightmare.

Using commercial ones requires copious amounts of money and usually poor aesthetics.

So, I decided to build my own for the 240 and customer plant tanks that I will have.

The 240 only needs a couple of these because it will be hard scape and fish only. Just want it to be lit nicely and have shimmer. The customer tanks will have a ton of live plants in them and will require 3 of these each.

these will be mounted in aluminum rails that have been painted black and suspended by wires.

Incredibly inexpensive and a ton of light in a small package.

Should work out well.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I told Katrina and Tim about this and it lessened the sting of how stupid I was.

In my rush to get work done, I never paused and measured the doors to the outside of the building.

The shark pool is 8 foot diameter by 2 foot tall. What's the dimensions of a standard commercial entrance door? Anybody? Anybody? 7 foot x 3 foot. DOH!

There is a solution. If you look at the front of the building, they closed off a door. This is being replaced with a window soon. I am going to open it up all the way to the brick to frame for the glass. The rough opening will be 8 feet x 3 feet 4 inches! TADA!

So that shifts gears for part of this weekend because I am getting a deal on the pool if I pick it up saturday and I don't want to leave it outside anywhere and I am pretty sure Sherry would hurt me if I tried to bring it in the carport and leave it in the way. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SHARK POOL!

448E62B6-BEC1-4C31-92D0-0898E136D442.jpeg

DB7CC8EE-239E-4921-B2DD-D4522A1200BC.jpeg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opening is ready for the pool to go in the building. Just plywood and two by bracing blocking it off until help arrives.

It only took me an hour to get it all opened up and the majority of the mess picked up.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back