9410 DC cup size

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have ordered a 9410 DC for my nano zeovit tank.

I am looking to get an automatic neck cleaner such as a swabbie or aquadriver helix. Could you please advise the dimensions of the cup and the thickness of the plastic?

I think I could get an aquadriver helix 160, but no sure if it would fit and don't fancy buying before knowing.

Many thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this will be feasible as the plastic is very thin molded plastic for the cup, it is brittle and hard to drill. The diameter of the neck is 3.25" and it is 1/8" thick plastic, the lid is the same thickness. I think it could be done if the lid was replaced by a custom lid.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your nano tank? It's important to note that although small the 9410 is rated for larger aquariums and may not run consistantly for you on a smaller tank. I have a 50g system that I use a 9410 on and only need to run it no more than 5 hrs a day.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should correct what I said, the bottom and cup itself is 1/8" but the actual riser tube tapers to 1/16" and the lid is 1/16".

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this will be feasible as the plastic is very thin molded plastic for the cup, it is brittle and hard to drill. The diameter of the neck is 3.25" and it is 1/8" thick plastic, the lid is the same thickness. I think it could be done if the lid was replaced by a custom lid.

Thanks Roger. So the diameter of the cup is 160mm?

Aquadriver replaces the whole lid, and can do custom cnc work if the cup isn't 160mm +\-3mm, so I am hopeful.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your nano tank? It's important to note that although small the 9410 is rated for larger aquariums and may not run consistantly for you on a smaller tank. I have a 50g system that I use a 9410 on and only need to run it no more than 5 hrs a day.

That's great. My tank is 100L/25 gallons. I used to run a deltec 1351 which I could tune to work well but it was noisy and I didn't like the pump quality or Venturi design which would always lead to more cleaning and adjustment.
Currently running the TUNZE 9004, which is great. Silent, but the cup/riser tube requires cleaning too often. I plan to do something similar to you, running the 9410 so the coral etc can make the most of the zeo supplements and foods like reef roids during the day. My plan is to feed heavily, export heavily. Skim wet if necessary.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, my apologies for not having metric measurements, I have a very good digital caliper but it was left on and has a dead battery, so I am getting by with a standard measurement ruler.

The cup is just under 6.25" overall, 3.25" is just the diameter of the riser tube in the middle the foam comes up. 6.25 is 158mm I believe but this is the OD of the cup.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By way of update, I chatted with aquadriver, and the 9410 is not likely suitable for any neck cleaner due to the height of the riser tube in relation to the edge of the cup (note the lid has the bubble in the middle on the outside, whereas other skimmers have that on the inside with a flat lid on top). Still going ahead with the 9410, though, because it's Tunze quality, will work with the safety connector and fits my sump space well.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes up to nearly flush with the top, there is about a 2mm difference. The reason it is designed this way is so once the cup is full the air cannot escape and pushes the foam down, stopping the skimming. It might be an option to do a wash down system instead, you could drill a hole in the middle of the lid and use a drip irrigation sprinkler head and a strong pump.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swabbie retrofit on the stock lid works well. The dimple in the centre of the lid was the exact diameter required for the swabbie rod. :) skimmer installed yesterday and immediately was able to generate a stable foam. Can't wait till it is fully broken in. :)

And it is soooo much quieter than the Deltec SC1351 I owned previously. Very impressed.

e20a6c8a8ffc9fd395350ea07c28429e.jpg

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swabbie retrofit on the stock lid works well. The dimple in the centre of the lid was the exact diameter required for the swabbie rod. :) skimmer installed yesterday and immediately was able to generate a stable foam. Can't wait till it is fully broken in. :)

And it is soooo much quieter than the Deltec SC1351 I owned previously. Very impressed.

e20a6c8a8ffc9fd395350ea07c28429e.jpg
That's why I love mine, it's so quiet compared to other skimmers. I got the larger cup, basically it's twice as big as the stock cup, I think it was $89, so just a thought so u don't clean it as often with the swabbie

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I love mine, it's so quiet compared to other skimmers. I got the larger cup, basically it's twice as big as the stock cup, I think it was $89, so just a thought so u don't clean it as often with the swabbie

Nice idea. What is the part number? Is the larger cup taller or wider? :)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cups 9015.140 or foam extractor 9020.140 can be used and they are taller so the air can be opened further to maximize skimming.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back