A battle with Golden Algae - Chrysophytes

Waterbourn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Waterbox 100.3 tank about 4 months ago that now I have some fish and a few coral. I went through a quick diatom bloom after and then things started to look beautiful. Around month 3 I even started to get a few small splotches of pink coralline algae on the glass. I had started with all dry rock and I knew better than to let my nutrients bottom out. As my tank was establishing I was testing everyday. Nitrates were staying around 3-4 ppm and I had a 0.02 phosphate and things seemed really stable. Then i went on vacation and got busy at work and was testing a bit less. I noticed during this time, but did not think much about this brown snotty stuff starting grow on the rocks, glass and sand. As it started to really take over I got a bit more concerned. I tested and my nitrates had gone down to 0.5 ppm and phosphates were 0. Well crud.... This "stuff" was very snotty, stringy and would have a bubble. So i thought i had dinos which i battled for about 6 months on a previous tank years ago. I grabbed a sample and put it under a small scope. I saw a couple few big differences than the last time i had dinos. The cells looked really small and there was no movement at all. My dino outbreak were much bigger and those things were moving everywhere.

Here is what I saw
20210809_183757.jpg
12432.jpeg
12439 (1).jpeg

I started searching the forums and definitely I started to figure out these were probably chrysophytes or some people were calling it golden algae. After reading everything I could find on them the best treatment plan I saw was

1. Manual removal
2. Run GFO for 24 hours after removal - the hypothesis is GFO removes silicates that first 24 hours
3. Get your phosphates and nitrates up
4. repeat

So I have been on this constant schedule for about 3 weeks.

Things I have tried:

Manual removal - A toothbrush does wonders and this stuff comes off really easy. I scrub everything and my filter socks and skimmer seem to really catch it. After a scrub the tank looks so beautiful! I usually do a small water change during one scrub a week so i can siphon what i can off the sandbed.

Nutrients - I am back to testing nitrate and phosphate everyday. I keep nitrates at 2-3 ppm, but I have to dose the neonitro almost everyday as my nitrate go down everyday. I keep phophates at 0.02 when i can, but I am also dosing about every other day with newphos to keep them up or they will bottom out. Phosphates also keep going down.

GFO - I tried this 24 hour thing for about 3 cycles (24 hour of gfo in the tank after a manual scrub every 3-4 days. It did not seem to do anything and so i have now stopped.

UV sterilizer - I have a big one running, but it is not helping. I does not look like these things are mobile and so they don't really go into the water column. I just keep it going so that when i scrub it might kill some of the cells i scrape off.

So this cycle above is just not working. They keep coming back slowly but surely and I keep scrubbing every few days to keep them in check while trying to keep my nitrate and phosphate up. (i do dose all for reef and my alk and calc stay very stable at 8.5 and 450 with tropic marin salt as well).

I then read everything I could about Vibrant from the good to the horror stories. My LFS actually told me to try it for the golden algea and brs has a video about vibrant with some golden algea rocks. I got the "REEF" version even though when we looked in the store they both show the exact same ingredients. I am guessing the reef is more dilute. I decided I am going to try it. I still got scared and and only used 1/2 dose. I figure my waterbox 100.3 has about 60 gallons after the sand/rock and so I just dosed 3 ml of REEF vibrant. Coral are still looking good so are but my nitrates and phosphates are sinking (which they were doing this even before the vibrant). I am still dosing almost daily to keep them up.

We will watch and see what happens. I will try to dose once per week. Not sure if I should go with a 6 ml dose on my second dose or keep the 3 ml for awhile.

The only other thing i can think of is to order about 10 lbs of live rock for gulf live rock?

Anyway I am so tired of battling these stuff. There are surprisingly few threads on chrysophytes, but if anyone has sage advice I am all ears.

obzidian_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anymore pics of the algae?

Either way, hope you get it sorted, going through a similar outbreak now and this stuff can get nasty.

OP
OP
W

Waterbourn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First image is another through a scope.

Second is some I collected ....it is golden!

20210813_160246.jpg
20210813_154340.jpg

OP
OP
W

Waterbourn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients Day 1 after vibrant

Phosphates measured .002 - I dosed 7 ml neophos!
Nitrates measured 1 ppm - I dosed 15 ml neonitro!

Today is 2 days after i added the 3 ml of vibrant (half dose)

Phosphates - .009 - I will dose again
Nitrates - 1 ppm - I will dose again

Corals still looking good
Golden Algae still looks to be growing back so far

What is using nutrients. - algea, vibrant, both?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do you have? They don't love flow. You should see that where there is direct current from the return or a flow pump there will be no chrysophytes. What clean up crew do you have? Cerith snails will eat chrysophytes. They are as slow AF but they eat it. Phosguard removes silicates but obviously also removes phosphate. I'm not convinced upping nutrients is the right way to battle chrysophytes but maybe. I think continuous manual removal and don't let it blow around when you remove it Get some snails and Jack up the flow as much as your corals will tolerate.

OP
OP
W

Waterbourn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for thoughts! I have 2 mp40s set in reefcrest plus the return. The mp40s are both at 30% and anymore some of corals get upset.

The tops of my rocks really get a lot of flow and you are right the algae doesn't grow quite as thick. Still there but I can see the difference compared to my bottom corners

A bunch of my trochus snails died .. I think they starved? I will get more cerith!

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anymore pics of the algae?

Either way, hope you get it sorted, going through a similar outbreak now and this stuff can get nasty.
I started with a Waterbox 100.3 tank about 4 months ago that now I have some fish and a few coral. I went through a quick diatom bloom after and then things started to look beautiful. Around month 3 I even started to get a few small splotches of pink coralline algae on the glass. I had started with all dry rock and I knew better than to let my nutrients bottom out. As my tank was establishing I was testing everyday. Nitrates were staying around 3-4 ppm and I had a 0.02 phosphate and things seemed really stable. Then i went on vacation and got busy at work and was testing a bit less. I noticed during this time, but did not think much about this brown snotty stuff starting grow on the rocks, glass and sand. As it started to really take over I got a bit more concerned. I tested and my nitrates had gone down to 0.5 ppm and phosphates were 0. Well crud.... This "stuff" was very snotty, stringy and would have a bubble. So i thought i had dinos which i battled for about 6 months on a previous tank years ago. I grabbed a sample and put it under a small scope. I saw a couple few big differences than the last time i had dinos. The cells looked really small and there was no movement at all. My dino outbreak were much bigger and those things were moving everywhere.

Here is what I saw
20210809_183757.jpg
12432.jpeg
12439 (1).jpeg

I started searching the forums and definitely I started to figure out these were probably chrysophytes or some people were calling it golden algae. After reading everything I could find on them the best treatment plan I saw was

1. Manual removal
2. Run GFO for 24 hours after removal - the hypothesis is GFO removes silicates that first 24 hours
4. repeat

Things I have tried:

Manual removal - A toothbrush does wonders and this stuff comes off really easy. I scrub everything and my filter socks and skimmer seem to really catch it. After a scrub the tank looks so beautiful! I usually do a small water change during one scrub a week so i can siphon what i can off the sandbed.

Nutrients - I am back to testing nitrate and phosphate everyday. I keep nitrates at 2-3 ppm, but I have to dose the neonitro almost everyday as my nitrate go down everyday. I keep phophates at 0.02 when i can, but I am also dosing about every other day with newphos to keep them up or they will bottom out. Phosphates also keep going down.

GFO - I tried this 24 hour thing for about 3 cycles (24 hour of gfo in the tank after a manual scrub every 3-4 days. It did not seem to do anything and so i have now stopped.

UV sterilizer - I have a big one running, but it is not helping. I does not look like these things are mobile and so they don't really go into the water column. I just keep it going so that when i scrub it might kill some of the cells i scrape off.

So this cycle above is just not working. They keep coming back slowly but surely and I keep scrubbing every few days to keep them in check while trying to keep my nitrate and phosphate up. (i do dose all for reef and my alk and calc stay very stable at 8.5 and 450 with tropic marin salt as well).

I then read everything I could about Vibrant from the good to the horror stories. My LFS actually told me to try it for the golden algea and brs has a video about vibrant with some golden algea rocks. I got the "REEF" version even though when we looked in the store they both show the exact same ingredients. I am guessing the reef is more dilute. I decided I am going to try it. I still got scared and and only used 1/2 dose. I figure my waterbox 100.3 has about 60 gallons after the sand/rock and so I just dosed 3 ml of REEF vibrant. Coral are still looking good so are but my nitrates and phosphates are sinking (which they were doing this even before the vibrant). I am still dosing almost daily to keep them up.

We will watch and see what happens. I will try to dose once per week. Not sure if I should go with a 6 ml dose on my second dose or keep the 3 ml for awhile.

The only other thing i can think of is to order about 10 lbs of live rock for gulf live rock?

Anyway I am so tired of battling these stuff. There are surprisingly few threads on chrysophytes, but if anyone has sage advice I am all ears.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for thoughts! I have 2 mp40s set in reefcrest plus the return. The mp40s are both at 30% and anymore some of corals get upset.

The tops of my rocks really get a lot of flow and you are right the algae doesn't grow quite as thick. Still there but I can see the difference compared to my bottom corners

A bunch of my trochus snails died .. I think they starved? I will get more cerith!
Well it is several weeks later by now; how is the tank doing wrt chrysos?

Rkdunn1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is what I saw
20210809_183757.jpg
12432.jpeg
12439 (1).jpeg

1. Manual removal
4. repeat

Things I have tried:

I see this is older but I want to add that you have to add higher flow to help this get better and if you have your own RO&DI system check filters. It may be time for a replacement. I have had this before and it was a water quality issue that I was not aware of at the time .

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do you have? They don't love flow. You should see that where there is direct current from the return or a flow pump there will be no chrysophytes. What clean up crew do you have? Cerith snails will eat chrysophytes. They are as slow AF but they eat it. Phosguard removes silicates but obviously also removes phosphate. I'm not convinced upping nutrients is the right way to battle chrysophytes but maybe. I think continuous manual removal and don't let it blow around when you remove it Get some snails and Jack up the flow as much as your corals will tolerate.
Red planaria will also eat it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back