A bit confused about salinity measurements

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a refractometer calibrated with 35ppt calibration solution and showed my tank running a hair below 35ppt. Yesterday, I purchased a Hanna Salinity Tester (for easier reading). I calibrated it per instructions using the Hanna 35 ppt solutions. When I tested the tank, the reading was 31.8 ppt. I was a bit shocked.

I calibrated the Hanna again and tested- Same results.

I calibrated the refractometer with deionized water to 0 - no adjustment was needed.

I checked the refractometer solution and was bang on 35 ppt. Header scratcher.

I calibrated the Hanna again and no change to the results.

The difference between the Hanna and the refractometer is outside the accuracy listed for the Hanna. Any ideas on how to determine the difference?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix up a bucket with salt in it and measure what the level is with both. Do like 2 gallons exactly a cup or whatever your salts instructions are and see which one is closer. My bet is the refractometer is correct. I had an alk Hannah checker say my tank was 4.7 alk and it was 12.3. Caused a crash in my tank because I kept increasing dose. So I no longer use them but some are great maybe mine went bad after 6 months... Anyone on here can tell you a good and bad experience but sometimes its always best to double check. Another way is to test a sample and see if local fish store has something to test it to be sure.

NotApplicable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 “reference solutions” shipped to me with my Milwaukee refractometer. One read well under what it should have, the other read well over what it should have.

I ended up making my own solution, and it measured exactly what it should have. Those reference solutions are trash!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back