A bit on Acans..Just a bit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please...please...PLEASE...don't say "kray kray" *barf*

That aside...
Thanks for another great write-up. I miss the acan lord frags I had and wish I knew why one rtn'ed on me overnight (kind of suspect an alk spike...I was very new, with a 20g) and the other, having done well until my tank move, first started opening weird - puffed in places it shouldn't be, looking kind of distorted - then refused to eat, eventually completely deflating and withering away. I wonder if it ingested lanthanum chloride like the goni did. It didn't just stop eating - it was actually SHRANK AWAY from the food, which I know is not normal for an acan and even less so this big eater!!

Newbie growing pains, I guess. I hope to try again soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please...please...PLEASE...don't say "kray kray" *barf*

That aside...
Thanks for another great write-up. I miss the acan frags I had and wish I knew why one rtn'ed on me overnight (kind of suspect an alk spike...I was very new, with a 20g) and the other, having done well until my tank move, first started opening weird - puffed in places it shouldn't be, looking kind of distorted - then refused to eat, eventually completely deflating and withering away.

Newbie growing pains, I guess. I hope to try again soon.

KRAY KRAY KRAY KRA KRAY KRAY!!!!:boom:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post with more info. *points* Have you seen anything like the second one's demise? I'd really like to puzzle that one out.

....*earmuffs*

Last edited:

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can never get mine to keep their original colors. the orange or green always takes over. as much as I like them I think i'm gonna stay away from buying them

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up and even better rant. Great reads as always. Looking forward to purchasing some of your livestock as soon as tank has cycled and ready.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is the exact reason the ONLY place I have ever purchased acans (and I have a lot of them) beside fellow hobbyists is from Unique Coral. I love the "Scoly Look Alike" bowerbankii.

You guys sent me a freebie bowerbankii in a big order that was solid red for the longest time that I thought was a lobo because of the huge polyp size. After 6 months I started seeing green stripes and it now looks exactly like a slightly off-round reverse bleeding apple scoly with a few baby polyps starting to come out. I'll have to take some pics for this thread tonight! The polyps are a good 2" across.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is the exact reason the ONLY place I have ever purchased acans (and I have a lot of them) beside fellow hobbyists is from Unique Coral. I love the "Scoly Look Alike" bowerbankii.

You guys sent me a freebie bowerbankii in a big order that was solid red for the longest time that I thought was a lobo because of the huge polyp size. After 6 months I started seeing green stripes and it now looks exactly like a slightly off-round reverse bleeding apple scoly with a few baby polyps starting to come out. I'll have to take some pics for this thread tonight! The polyps are a good 2" across.

LOL good to hear...I'm interested to hear that the solid red took on the "Reverse Bleeding Apple" coloration, as that is where the frag came from...a "Reverse Bleeding Apple" bowerbanki...! Can't fight genetics, I guess! I Wanna see pics!

-Scott

Aquarium Art

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up , ive been preparing for the day that they banned importations of coral . Its coming in the not to far future and to make matters worse , leathers and all the cheap corals are going to be expensive because everything has to be aquacultured and not ChopCity . lol

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up , ive been preparing for the day that they banned importations of coral . Its coming in the not to far future and to make matters worse , leathers and all the cheap corals are going to be expensive because everything has to be aquacultured and not ChopCity . lol

Yep...will be a sad, but interesting day!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put on the optimists hat and say that in the future I don't foresee all importation being banned, but special certs will be required stipulating 'Maricultured' or 'Aquacultured' in order to clear customs. Enforcement to prevent illegal harvesting of 'wild' specimens could present some real challenges, though.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL good to hear...I'm interested to hear that the solid red took on the "Reverse Bleeding Apple" coloration, as that is where the frag came from...a "Reverse Bleeding Apple" bowerbanki...! Can't fight genetics, I guess! I Wanna see pics!

-Scott

Hah it was definitely a huge surprise since it got thrown in as a freebie in an acro order! I thought it was just a plain red lobo, bs it grew it turned out it was obviously not Lobo and big *** bowerbankii! Glad that even the plain red polyps from the mother colony eventually have the green come in.

Here is an absolutely horrid top-down cellphone picture from months ago right as it just STARTED getting some green. Pardon the terrible color from the cell phone picture, it was just to show one of my friends the green lines coming in because we both thought it was a lobo at first. Incidentally, the big pink/blue polyp on the left IS a lobo. I'll try and break out the DSLR and take a good shot. There is definitely much more green now!

rba_bowerbankii.jpg

And just for fun, some other acan colonies from just 3 months ago or so. Not sure where they came from - maybe the rainbow on the right is from you guys originally? Also, pardon the cellphone shot!
acan_corner.JPG

Here are some lords I got from you about 6 or 7 months ago that grew up big time (unfortunately the dragon soul favia didn't grow much) from just TWO polyps! That big ol' bowerbankii in the background should look farmiliar (and much puffier!):
pg_lords.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah it was definitely a huge surprise since it got thrown in as a freebie in an acro order! I thought it was just a plain red lobo, bs it grew it turned out it was obviously not Lobo and big *** bowerbankii! Glad that even the plain red polyps from the mother colony eventually have the green come in.

Here is an absolutely horrid top-down cellphone picture from months ago right as it just STARTED getting some green. Pardon the terrible color from the cell phone picture, it was just to show one of my friends the green lines coming in because we both thought it was a lobo at first. Incidentally, the big pink/blue polyp on the left IS a lobo. I'll try and break out the DSLR and take a good shot. There is definitely much more green now!

rba_bowerbankii.jpg

And just for fun, some other acan colonies from just 3 months ago or so. Not sure where they came from - maybe the rainbow on the right is from you guys originally? Also, pardon the cellphone shot!
acan_corner.JPG

Here are some lords I got from you about 6 or 7 months ago that grew up big time (unfortunately the dragon soul favia didn't grow much) from just TWO polyps! That big ol' bowerbankii in the background should look farmiliar (and much puffier!):
pg_lords.jpg

Thanks for the pics...Glad to see the "Bleeding apple" coloration come through!

Looks like you and I have the same brilliant cell phone photography skills! Although mine are way worse, I think, as anyone who ever received a photo from me can attest! LOL

Scott

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yaaay! You picked a nice one; glad it's doing so well! BTW, how is the GonioPower working out? (totally off topic- I hijacked my own thread! LOL)

-Scott
Yaaayyy! thanks Scott the GonioPower I think is working as the goniopora is still alive and has maintained its coloring!! Thanks for asking!

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of my favorite write up you have done...I really appreciate and respect you point of view..I really liked where you talked about the chop shops of today and how a few words they use can be misleading...and why not just be honest...
"I’ve said it before and I will say it again. Hacking up a freshly imported wild colony and calling it “propagated†and charging bend-over prices for the frags is- well- lame. Period. It’s “chop-shopping.†At the very least, I can respect the practice when it’s simply known as “fraggingâ€. But to imply, as some vendors do, that they are “propagating†the corals- is misleading, unfair, and unethical, IMO. Cutting up a colony, healing growing out some frags to salable size, and continuing to frag them for more pieces is a much more acceptable definition of propagating. Look, I’m not getting up on a high horse and saying that every time you chop up a wild colony and sell it you’re unethical or stupid. What I am complaining about is the way stuff is marketed. Why not be honest? “We purchased this crazy colony from Australia, and fragged it up. You’re getting one of the first frags. We have limited quantities, and it’s expensive.†There. Easy.

However, for some reason, we feel it’s necessary to name stuff, chop it up, come up with a ridiculous price, and sell it as “LEâ€. That term makes me want to vomit. Acans were the mide 2000’s poster child for stupidity, IMO. It’s only “LE†because no one took the time to grow it out. The future of our industry may be “growing it outâ€, because that’s all we may have one day if importations are banned. Short-sidedness is folly. So chopping up every single wild coral into little bits and selling the whole thing may be the instrument of extinction for the industry if we’re not careful. A quick buck today will be gone tomorrow. All I’m preaching here is that we employ some common sense and hold on to colonies. Hobbyists should do the same."

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why but all acans I get shrink up and met away. I feed the only one I have left today brine shrimp and myis shrimp. A few hours later now it looks like it is melting.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back