A bunch of 10 year old fairy wrasse photos + more wrasses

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I entered a photo in this months contest but went looking through my archives. I have to say wrasses, in particular fairy wrasse are my all time favourite fish. Flame Wrasse being my all time fav. That being said I no longer keep them for a variety of reasons. Mostly the fact they are considerably more expensive now then 10 years ago. 10 years ago I had a lot less expenses then I do today. They also don't live as long as many other fish.

Eventually I'll probably get some more but 2007/2008 I had a great collection. Due to an epoxy mishap where it did not cure I lost most of them in one shot and almost quit the hobby I was so devastated. Anyway this thread is for photos not stories so here we go :

flame02.jpg
fw2.jpg
IMG_1143.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful wrasses, thanks for sharing! :)

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 3rd and 4th picture in the second post Cirrhilabrus efatensis? Beautiful pictures and wrasse! Extra impressive collection considering this was 10 years ago.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 3rd and 4th picture in the second post Cirrhilabrus efatensis? Beautiful pictures and wrasse! Extra impressive collection considering this was 10 years ago.

Hi, I think it was Cirrhilabrus nahackyi but not 100% sure. Undescribed at the time. I can't remember what it was labeled as but he did not come from my usual supplier. Back then the wrasse book was not out and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what he was.

Back then Reef Raft was just an LFS *although they did do a lot of wholesale, and fish prices were a lot cheaper then today. The most expensive ones were just over $200 cnd and back then it was a lot weaker compared to the US dollar. So it was a lot easier to obtain these fish back then and more affordable. Although to be fair more then a couple I did line up at the store before they would open on shipment days as was the trend back then. I could never afford to have a similar collection today. I do hope to get some more Flame Wrasses before they completely disappear from the trade.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back