A case of stupidity...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure on the FW dip for the codfish. I know they are super delicate and hard to treat when they get parasites.
I’ve given cowfish FW dips, never saw an issue. Trunkfish can be a problem as the dip can stress them into releasing their skin toxins.
Jay

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the introduction of the cowfish was a stressor causing the sailfin's subclinical ich to manifest symptoms.

This may be a recurring problem if you can't rid the source in your tank. For new fish QT treatment I run through a 12 day tank transfer routine to rid them of ich--whether I see symptoms or not. Usually do this immediately. This entails moving the fish every three days to a new tank. Everything in the tank must be new (clean w/ 24hrs dry time). Nothing porous--air stones get thrown out. Do not exceed 72hrs in a tank.

If your circumstances are such that you can rid your tank of ich, you'd need to move your fish to QT and leave the tank fallow for 144 days (think that is the longest documented cyst dormancy). I'd tank transfer them for 12 days before putting in QT so you are sure they are free of parasites.

I tried living with ich in a previous tank and eventually started over and instituted strict QT methods. Tangs really are ich canaries!

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw Jay's sticky so it looks like the longest documented cyst survival may have been 76 days. I would agree 45 days would be a pretty good fallow period to give you a 95%-99% probability of eliminating the ich parasite. Being in Bangkok, I'd let the tank fallow in the mid 80s to be even more sure.

Surprised there is no tank transfer method sticky here (unless it is within a sticky).

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw Jay's sticky so it looks like the longest documented cyst survival may have been 76 days. I would agree 45 days would be a pretty good fallow period to give you a 95%-99% probability of eliminating the ich parasite. Being in Bangkok, I'd let the tank fallow in the mid 80s to be even more sure.

Surprised there is no tank transfer method sticky here (unless it is within a sticky).
To be honest, ttm is as hotly debated a topic as qt efficacy around here.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? I've even ran mandarins through TTM without issue. Needed a lot of copepods though.

What I really like about it is that it allows me to slowly raise salinity to that of my tank via evaporation alone. For a fish in 1.017/23 PPT SG it takes 6-9 days to get up to 35 PPT. And I use water change water for the whole process--just dilute accordingly.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back