A couple of odd parameters

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My tank is generally doing very well but over the last month my Nitrates have dropped to zero and my pH has gone up to about 8.7. In addition my BTA keeps opening and closing.

75 gallon tank about 9 months old.
2 clownfish
2 watchman gobies
1 neon dotty back
4 fire fish
1 scopas tang

Various LPS
Various inverts

Everything looks great except the BTA. When it's open it looks great but it's opening and closing a lot. Like every day.

My questions are:

I added about 10lbs of live rock to the system and about 2 weeks later the Nitrates dropped to 0. They had been running at. A steady 10ppm before that. I started feeling more to get the Nitrates up but they still run at 0. Could 10lbs of live rock do that??

Also, I suspect my digital pH meter might be off as I'm dosing for pH weekly and I don't know why it would rise so high. I had been at 8.4 always before that.

Thoughts??

OP
OP
RocksNStuff

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update here. I guess I like talking to myself :)

My digital pH probe was indeed out of calibration. I recalibrated and the pH is actually 8.2. I still can't get the Nitrates up though.

Oh and my BTA died. :(

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back