A couple of videos of saddleback clownfish in the wild to share

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an underwater videographer and filmmaker with a keen interest in marine life, rather than an aquarist.

On a recent diving trip to Anilao in the Philippines I shot a couple of clips of saddleback clownfish, Amphiprion polymnus, that I'd like to share.

The first is a pair of clownfish tending their eggs. I managed to get some nice closeups of the eggs with my 4K camera.

[video=youtube;9JZM7HZQf3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZM7HZQf3g&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The second is a school of 9 small A. polymnus fighting against a bit of current. Their anemone has closed. This was quite an unusual sight for me, and they were very shallow. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;zr40xNW3Qyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr40xNW3Qyo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile: This is awesome. I JUST watched your vids with the kids about Lembeh Strait the other day. *Assuming those are your vids as well.* I seen the Bubble Vision watermark. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

OP
OP
Nick Hope

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much MrDJeep123. Yes, those are my videos. Glad you and the kids like them. The more recent widescreen Lembeh documentary is this:

[video=youtube;nJMZ6reOB0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJMZ6reOB0E[/video]

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much MrDJeep123. Yes, those are my videos. Glad you and the kids like them. The more recent widescreen Lembeh documentary is this:

You can call me Dwayne :D. We watched that one as well. I have to tell you we really enjoyed them. The documentary was presented extremely well, the quality is amazing, narration is fantastic, and we deeply appreciate the time and effort put into the projects.
I stumbled across your videos researching information on the juvenile bi-color parrotfish. It lead to the Muckey Secrets juvenile fishes segment in which I learned it actually isn't a bicolor parrotfish. I found the information that you shared was very informative. I decided to start from the beginning and included the kids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick Hope

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dwayne. I love to hear feedback and stories like that about the videos. Makes it all worthwhile.

Does anyone know what sort of survival rate can be expected on those eggs? To be precise, I've been asked: "how many little " Nemos" (that this mom produced) will actually survive and see the world?"

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the close up of the eyes of the baby clown fish and the flow that the saddlebacks are swimming in. Must have been fun trying to keep your place while filming.:)

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do us all a favor on R2R and post more videos including past,present, and future! I just got done watching the Murkey Secrets video and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Nick Hope

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for the comments. It's nice to be appreciated. I got instantly banned as a spammer on a couple of other similar forums when I posted my videos there :squigglemouth:. I'll definitely come back and share future videos here.

So if you enjoyed Mucky Secrets and you have nearly 2 hours free, you might be interested to watch my older documentary about the marine life of the Andaman Sea. This one includes plenty of bigger stuff as well as the small stuff. Looks best in 720p.

[video=youtube;8ncUVddkK3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncUVddkK3Q[/video]

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I checked out the 2 shorter clips. I'll have to watch the longer ones when I get some down time! Thanks for sharing!

French27

Excitedly New to the Hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for sharing the videos. The more videos I see from reefs, and other habitats from the ocean, the more I want to learn. I can't wait to watch the remainder of the longer videos.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back