Thought Process and Planning of My New Reef Tank: A Comprehensive Approach to Create a Stunning Display

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction:Embarking on the journey of setting up a new reef tank is an exciting endeavor that requires careful thought, meticulous planning, and a deep passion for the beauty and complexity of coral reefs. As an experienced reef hobbyist with a strong focus on coral specimens, I find myself drawn to the captivating allure of these marine invertebrates. This project will mark the culmination of 15 years of dedicated reefing, as I seek to construct a breathtaking display that showcases a diverse array of SPS (Small Polyp Stony) and LPS (Large Polyp Stony) corals, accentuated by carefully selected fish species and invertebrates.

Coral Selection:Central to my planning process is the choice of corals that will be the focal point of the reef tank. Corals have been my primary passion since transitioning from freshwater aquariums, and they will continue to be the primary focus of this new project. My deep admiration for the Euphyllia genus, with its mesmerizing tentacle movements akin to anemones, has led me to incorporate them prominently in the reef. However, I have decided to exclude bubble tip anemones from this setup due to their potential to disrupt the delicate balance of a mixed reef.

SPS and LPS Combination:In this venture, I aspire to create a harmonious blend of SPS and LPS corals. I envision an emphasis on the front of the display, featuring a captivating collection of Scolymia (Scoly) corals. Additionally, I plan to create a smaller island of Zoanthids, with a special affinity for the stunning "Rasta" zoas, propagated from my current mixed reef. This island will be thoughtfully positioned towards the rear of the tank in a lower light area, ensuring each coral species receives their ideal conditions.

GSP Mat and Maintenance:Another exciting aspect of this project is the inclusion of a GSP (Green Star Polyp) mat on the back of the tank. By carefully cultivating this mat, I aim to create a vibrant and low-maintenance backdrop that enhances the visual appeal of the entire display. The intention behind this choice is to reduce the necessity for ongoing maintenance once the GSP mat takes over the back wall, providing a visually stunning yet manageable background for the reef.

Gradual Tank Development and Algae Reduction:To ensure the long-term success of this endeavor, I plan to employ a methodical approach to the tank's development. Initially, the tank will house only clownfish and be equipped with a lesser quality light to facilitate algae reduction during the critical establishment phase of the tank biome. This "show quality" reef tank will be patiently run for several months, allowing the tank to mature and the biological balance to stabilize, ensuring a sustainable and visually stunning environment.

Utilizing Copepods for Biome Balance:Understanding the importance of maintaining a healthy tank ecosystem, I have decided to introduce copepods into the tank approximately one to two weeks after the tank begins cycling. Their presence will contribute to the mitigation of the "ugly phase," a common occurrence during the initial stages of a new tank setup. Drawing on the insights provided by reputable sources, such as BRS (Bulk Reef Supply), I am confident in the benefits that copepods will bring to the nano environment.

Conclusion:The planning of my new reef tank involves a meticulous thought process aimed at creating a magnificent and balanced underwater spectacle. With a strong focus on my passion for corals, a thoughtful combination of SPS and LPS, and the strategic inclusion of GSP and copepods, this reef tank will be a testament to my dedication and love for the reefing hobby. Throughout this journey, I will document my progress and share my findings, eager to showcase the transformation of this nano environment into a thriving and visually captivating exhibit of aquatic life.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is happy and healthy! Went with the Orphek Atlantik icon for lighting and it’s got the best spread of any light I’ve ever used or even seen. Still building my big tank in the new house but this is the IM 20 I set up back in July. The big boy is expensive I’m still buying equipment for it

Attachments

• IMG_7508.jpeg
    IMG_7508.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7507.jpeg
    IMG_7507.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7509.jpeg
    IMG_7509.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Stratosphere and GMK zoanthids on Thursday. They’ve opened up but am giving them time before I post them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back