In Dire Need Of Saltwater Friends. Help a Young Marine Fan Not Give Up!

Turtilinni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Jasper, I am 21 years old and I own a 75-gallon marine aquarium, with a 25-gallon sump containing as of today two clownfish and nothing else. Today was the hardest day in my eight years doing saltwater, as today the algae finally won and I found my foxface and seahare dead at the bottom of the tank. I have been giving 25% water changes while manually removing the algae for the last month, but due to an honestly bad tank scape leading to areas I could not remove the algae from, it has completely suffocated my tank to near death. I spent my morning crying, and my plan for the afternoon was to take the clownfish to my LFS and give them to the owner, followed by coming home, draining the tank, and leaving the hobby for good. If this was the extent of the issue though I would neither be posting on this thread nor this forum. In my eight years, I have dealt with mass die-offs, I have dealt with bad algae infections, I have dealt with tank mistakes and I have bought and used every terrible aquarium product on the marketplace. My point being, that solutions are not what I am looking for here, otherwise, I would have just posted this in the nuisance algae area. No, I understand what mistakes I made, and what I can do better next time. Instead, my problem is motivation. Eight years, especially being 21 is a large section of my life. While I have enjoyed my aquarium immensely, learned large volumes of information on my own, and truly grown as an individual and a fan of the hobby, I cannot keep going on my own. I do not personally know another human being who owns a saltwater aquarium, who isn't also an employee at an LFS who has both a lack of time to talk as an employee and a bias to sell you for the most expensive product and not the best one. I do not want to bother these poor employees with my advanced questions, and I am tired of being sold on snake oil, let me tell you as a teenager with only the internet to go off of, I have been sold a lot of snake oil. What I need is ideally another aquarist with just a little bit more experience than me in the hobby. Or a lot of experience, really I just need someone willing to give me some of their time. I refuse to keep this tank going on my own, it just is not working and while I can learn just barely fast enough, I do not have the mental energy to figure out every single problem in my tank without help. I just want a little bit of support honest to god. I have tried talking to other customers at the LFS, but they do not seem interested in friends as hard as I try. I went to my local aquarium society to meet people, turns out they are entirely freshwater. I know there are other saltwater fans in my city, but I cannot seem to find them hard as I try. So this is my last attempt at reaching out, trying to build a connection with another human being. I am an extroverted social guy, who loves to talk about his passion for saltwater aquariums, it is just today with such a rough morning that I am truly wavering on whether I can continue on this journey without another human being who can even understand what we do when we take care of these aquariums. I do not care if you are young or old, new or old to the hobby, an expert or a rookie, I just need people to talk to about my tank. Do you feel like the kind of person with just enough spare time to answer a question or two, take a look at progress photos and generally communicate with another person to help them in the hobby? Please PM me ASAP. I will follow any directions, spend whatever is needed, I will be your saltwater apprentice, I just need a saltwater master to learn from. As for the tank, (I will attach photos in the comments they are just on my phone), unless someone really thinks that it is salvageable, I am going to turn in my clownfish today. I am afraid that while cleaning all the rocks, and taking out so much water, the chances of survival are dropping for the clownfish. God knows those guys are as hardy as they come, but after all this suffering I am just wondering if it would be easier to turn them in, take the tank apart, and then only get it recycled and going strong when I have a fellow saltwater fan to help me plan this stuff out. Like I said at the beginning, I think a lot of my problems started with a bad tank scape, so just a little bit of that marine master wisdom would go a long way for me. I will be watching this thread closely for the next couple days, PM me or comment below if you have any questions comments or concerns, anything helps but specifically, if you think you want to really help me out PM me and I can give you ways to contact me outside of even this website. If you read this far thank you very much, I really hope I don't end up leaving this hobby I love it very much, I just wish it wasn't so lonely some days.

Thanks in advance~ Jasper the young marine aquarist

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome_to_R2R.gif

There will always be ups and downs. Keep your head up take a break if you need to and come back if the passion is there you will return :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turtilinni

Turtilinni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself.

Attachments

• 11C3A45E-8403-42E9-9ADB-4F2DB6BB5804.jpeg
    11C3A45E-8403-42E9-9ADB-4F2DB6BB5804.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 23245918-6F37-439A-94E5-D2ED0E9E5904.jpeg
    23245918-6F37-439A-94E5-D2ED0E9E5904.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 96F92412-896D-45F6-80D4-E3274DBE76ED.jpeg
    96F92412-896D-45F6-80D4-E3274DBE76ED.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 113

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Turtilinni

Turtilinni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome_to_R2R.gif

There will always be ups and downs. Keep your head up take a break if you need and come back if you have the passion. You will return :)
I have the passion I am just too lonely. Just one other aquarist to talk to is all I need. Do you have friends in the hobby? How did you find them? Let me know if you have time, I just want a friend with the same hobby.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the passion I am just too lonely. Just one other aquarist to talk to is all I need. Do you have friends in the hobby? How did you find them? Let me know if you have time, I just want a friend with the same hobby.
Maybe posting your general location would help find someone local to you.

OP
OP
Turtilinni

Turtilinni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe posting your general location would help find someone local to you.
Calgary Alberta Canada. Thank you sorry I didn’t want to post that in case it was not chill on this forum to do that, but if anybody reading this is Canadian that would also help, though I am not opposed to international friends. Discord and Skype always work, just if someone lived nearby I would be over the moon to get coffee and talk tanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calgary Alberta Canada. Thank you sorry I didn’t want to post that in case it was not chill on this forum to do that, but if anybody reading this is Canadian that would also help, though I am not opposed to international friends. Discord and Skype always work, just if someone lived nearby I would be over the moon to get coffee and talk tanks
Welcome (EH) my Canadian friend to R2R!
Now that you shared that, some scrub and some water chemistry changes should reinvigorate that system.

You may give up, but mostly, people are back in this hobby fast.

What are current parameters?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome aboard.

you can edit your information to show your location. I’m not near you myself, but there a lot of your fellow Canadians on this site.

Stick around. There’s a lot of information and experience here.
IMG_0829.jpeg

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Jasper, I am 21 years old and I own a 75-gallon marine aquarium, with a 25-gallon sump containing as of today two clownfish and nothing else. Today was the hardest day in my eight years doing saltwater, as today the algae finally won and I found my foxface and seahare dead at the bottom of the tank. I have been giving 25% water changes while manually removing the algae for the last month, but due to an honestly bad tank scape leading to areas I could not remove the algae from, it has completely suffocated my tank to near death. I spent my morning crying, and my plan for the afternoon was to take the clownfish to my LFS and give them to the owner, followed by coming home, draining the tank, and leaving the hobby for good. If this was the extent of the issue though I would neither be posting on this thread nor this forum. In my eight years, I have dealt with mass die-offs, I have dealt with bad algae infections, I have dealt with tank mistakes and I have bought and used every terrible aquarium product on the marketplace. My point being, that solutions are not what I am looking for here, otherwise, I would have just posted this in the nuisance algae area. No, I understand what mistakes I made, and what I can do better next time. Instead, my problem is motivation. Eight years, especially being 21 is a large section of my life. While I have enjoyed my aquarium immensely, learned large volumes of information on my own, and truly grown as an individual and a fan of the hobby, I cannot keep going on my own. I do not personally know another human being who owns a saltwater aquarium, who isn't also an employee at an LFS who has both a lack of time to talk as an employee and a bias to sell you for the most expensive product and not the best one. I do not want to bother these poor employees with my advanced questions, and I am tired of being sold on snake oil, let me tell you as a teenager with only the internet to go off of, I have been sold a lot of snake oil. What I need is ideally another aquarist with just a little bit more experience than me in the hobby. Or a lot of experience, really I just need someone willing to give me some of their time. I refuse to keep this tank going on my own, it just is not working and while I can learn just barely fast enough, I do not have the mental energy to figure out every single problem in my tank without help. I just want a little bit of support honest to god. I have tried talking to other customers at the LFS, but they do not seem interested in friends as hard as I try. I went to my local aquarium society to meet people, turns out they are entirely freshwater. I know there are other saltwater fans in my city, but I cannot seem to find them hard as I try. So this is my last attempt at reaching out, trying to build a connection with another human being. I am an extroverted social guy, who loves to talk about his passion for saltwater aquariums, it is just today with such a rough morning that I am truly wavering on whether I can continue on this journey without another human being who can even understand what we do when we take care of these aquariums. I do not care if you are young or old, new or old to the hobby, an expert or a rookie, I just need people to talk to about my tank. Do you feel like the kind of person with just enough spare time to answer a question or two, take a look at progress photos and generally communicate with another person to help them in the hobby? Please PM me ASAP. I will follow any directions, spend whatever is needed, I will be your saltwater apprentice, I just need a saltwater master to learn from. As for the tank, (I will attach photos in the comments they are just on my phone), unless someone really thinks that it is salvageable, I am going to turn in my clownfish today. I am afraid that while cleaning all the rocks, and taking out so much water, the chances of survival are dropping for the clownfish. God knows those guys are as hardy as they come, but after all this suffering I am just wondering if it would be easier to turn them in, take the tank apart, and then only get it recycled and going strong when I have a fellow saltwater fan to help me plan this stuff out. Like I said at the beginning, I think a lot of my problems started with a bad tank scape, so just a little bit of that marine master wisdom would go a long way for me. I will be watching this thread closely for the next couple days, PM me or comment below if you have any questions comments or concerns, anything helps but specifically, if you think you want to really help me out PM me and I can give you ways to contact me outside of even this website. If you read this far thank you very much, I really hope I don't end up leaving this hobby I love it very much, I just wish it wasn't so lonely some days.

Thanks in advance~ Jasper the young marine aquarist
This forum is harsh don’t take anything personal from what some will say

Just a little info. Next time dealing with a bad algae problem, black out your entire tank for 3 days or longer if needed. Then lower the light intensity when you switch them back on and feed less

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're all here for you whatever you need or whatever you decide to do.
Life is hard enough as it is and your hobby should be your chill space.
Sorry I'm near Canada but can't do anything more than give support from afar.
Wish you the best of luck.
I have newbies I help but no close saltwater buddies if you will except everyone on here!
Anyways welcome Welcome to R2R!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ...How long are your lights on for and at what setting.? Have you been testing phosphate? if so what is the number. What is in your sump, a skimmer, any reactors? When you are doing water changers are you using RODI water or water just from the tap or buying water from LFS. Be careful of buying water from LFS or water store as most of the time they do not change the filters often enough to keep tds etc close to or down to zero. I see form the pictures you have alot of sand in the tank have you been siphoning sections when you do a water change? Are you dosing any type of coral food or using food products that produce a lot of phosphate's like reef roids etc?
This is enough questions for now for us to try and help you.

MoonKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I have recently opened this account here on R2R and over the past 10 years have kept tank/s 7yrs. I am not the most experienced by far but I am happy to reply to any messages you send my way.

Currently in my house we are running a Red Sea 65g w/sump (15g) - mixed lps sps w/ plenty of fish- this tank is constantly monitored with apex and trident

A Nuvo 15g AIO - this is my baby tank with 2 BTA - a pair of anemone crabs, 1 small maroon clown, 1 tiny yellow tang, 1 sleeper goby- this tank I check all parameters manually once a week.

A Nuvo 15g Nano freshwater planted w/ shrimp/tetras/betta

& 1 old fluval tank running QT right now

I read through your post here and wanted to comment a couple of things. If you are looking for friends in the hobby I would imagine that participating more here in the forum could really help with that. I am lucky that my S/O and I both are in the hobby.

Anytime I have posted asking questions or advice someone kind has always reached out. Maybe there is a general chat thread you could pop into.

Can you provide some details on your setup?

What kind of lights do you have?
How many hours a day are they running?
Do they ramp up and down?
How long have you had this tank running?
How often have you been doing the 25% water changes?
When did you start them?
What % water changes were you doing before?
How are you getting your tank water?
Do you have an RO system?

What/how many power heads/pumps do you have in the tank?

As someone said earlier - one of the best things you can do to halt algae growth is turn those lights down or off. The fish will be fine with little to no light for a while

When I see algae creeping up in my tank the first thing I do is shorten the light cycle for a week.

Are you trying to keep coral right now?

At this point, if you really only have “2 clowns” assuming there are no salvageable corals I would remove most of the rock and go ahead and dip it in hydrogen peroxide and scrub the algae off. Rinse it again and let it dry out. Save it for later.

I would try to really mentally commit to 6 months of adding nothing to your tank. (No new fish or corals). I would add pods.

I would use a product like vibrant once a week indefinitely and cut your light cycles down to 2 hours a day until you see the algae start to recede. Once you start to see the algae really starting to back off I would consider adding a 6 line wrasse or a yellow tang to help keep up with eating the algae. I would then slowly start to ramp your lights back up

Keeping a fish tank is a rewarding and time consuming hobby that requires continuous education

Sometimes it’s not sustainable in a phase of life that you might be in. That’s a choice you have to make.

All the best from TX

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back