A couple things over the next week or two and cycle help....

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went back and got another 15lbs. No sense of having too little - i'll most likely use it all but worst case scenario im sure someone around twon
needs some live rock.

I may be ordering more myself. I just like it better than that heavy ugly rock I started with. Are you picking up at an airport?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock and bagged sand plus Bio-Spira to jump start the cycle, then dosed aqueous ammonia in my 20 gallon. Brought the tank up to 2 ppm and once it got down to 0, dosed up to 1 ppm. Continued this until the 1 ppm dosage read 0 ppm in 12 hours. Took 9 days to fully "cycle", but I held off on adding inverts for another two weeks or so because I'm paranoid about killing things. If you start quarantining fish when you set up your tank, its a solid bet the tank will be cycled when they're ready to add!

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be ordering more myself. I just like it better than that heavy ugly rock I started with. Are you picking up at an airport?

Says overnight shipping to my front door so.........I sent a message and asked about the shipping first and gave her my address. We will see what happens.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says overnight shipping to my front door so.........I sent a message and asked about the shipping first and gave her my address. We will see what happens.

Ok, my understanding was with water it went to an Airport and with wet towels it was overnight to the door.

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my understanding was with water it went to an Airport and with wet towels it was overnight to the door.

A5C25117-B324-4B70-A488-AEA76E789074.jpeg

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing I have learned in the dry vs live debate.
You own all of the mistakes of the person who sold you the rock for the life of your tank.

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You own all of the mistakes of the person who sold you the rock for the life of your tank.

Not really sure what this means..... Live Rock from the actual ocean means I own what naturally comes with the rock and it will be my job to inspect and make sure its ready for my aquarium. Now buying some live rock from LFS or a friend who hasn't maintained their tanks for foreign critters or issues yeah your buying their negligence.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is correct, but it is a decision that the reefer makes. The same thought applies to anything you put in your tank, not all vendors are the same.

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure what this means..... Live Rock from the actual ocean means I own what naturally comes with the rock and it will be my job to inspect and make sure its ready for my aquarium. Now buying some live rock from LFS or a friend who hasn't maintained their tanks for foreign critters or issues yeah your buying their negligence.

Oceans have just as many if not more risks when it comes to live rock. I recall a reefer being sold a tar ball at one point believing it was a piece of rock. The point is that any form of live rock that you didn't culture yourself brings with it the environment with which it was created. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but understanding the risks is very important to anyone making this decision for the first time.

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceans have just as many if not more risks when it comes to live rock. I recall a reefer being sold a tar ball at one point believing it was a piece of rock. The point is that any form of live rock that you didn't culture yourself brings with it the environment with which it was created. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but understanding the risks is very important to anyone making this decision for the first time.

Agreed, no argument there.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh, talked to KP today. Weather has been crap down there so they may or may not have enough rock to fulfill orders this coming Tuesday - SMH.....

I am terrible with aquascaping but all 25 pounds are in. This rock compared to the dry rock I had is night and day. I think the pods will enjoy the hiding spots.

9972C77F-468D-4E25-AB45-7145E5DD7CC7.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that arrangement there is the least likely to get dinos of any new tank in my opinion going off simple post patterns

dry rock starts comprise about 90% of dinos issues, per any dinos challenge thread

9% are live rock tanks with it
1% are kp/or TBS this sums up dinos invasion post ratios fairly in my opn

that being said, if some show up dont bother identifying them just siphon the heck right out, when the size of a half dollar, vs waiting until bigtime

I bet that diversity suppresses them though. height of bacterial heterogeneity is right now, curves down over time but still better than average tanks Ill bet. nice ocean sourcing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back