A critter that will eat algae from the sand bed

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an algae problem so I got some new astrea snails I've had good luck with them.. And some emerald crabs I also added some eco pods and over the course of 2 weeks my rocks are looking substantially better I have some nassarious snails 2 different species by the looks of them but no one really touches the algae on the sand it's only a20 gallon so I don't have room for much is there a snail that would spend time on the sand the astrea pretty much stuck to the rocks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics and parameters? Usually we are the best CuC

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting conch. Not sure it will eat what algae you have but worth a shot..
Agree.
Any Conch (Stroumbus) will be perfect for the job, not only Fighting Conchs.

Even if they don’t eat this specific algae you have, they do stir the sand, which tremendously help reducing it.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a very good pic it's green in color when I take it out of the tank it really grabs ahold of the sand I have a long brush I usually sweep it to the corner and vac it out but it take sand with it
Salinity. .026-.027
Nit. 10-15
Phos. 5ppb
Cal 450 ish
Mag. 1350 ish
17071509157146916367650689502362.jpg

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.
Any Conch (Stroumbus) will be perfect for the job, not only Fighting Conchs.

Even if they don’t eat this specific algae you have, they do stir the sand, which tremendously help reducing it.
I'll have to look into a conch the nassarious are supposed to stir the sand but they come out eat roam around the tank and the tree bury themselves in the same spot they came from

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look into a conch the nassarious are supposed to stir the sand but they come out eat roam around the tank and the tree bury themselves in the same spot they came from
Nassi snails are carnivores and don’t help with algae… they do stir the same thou.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassi snails are carnivores and don’t help with algae… they do stir the same thou.
They are mostly to clean up extra food and stir sand I know they won't eat the algae.... Should I try to stir the sand more often I usually do it once a week with a water change I gotta do one today I didn't get to it yesterday

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are mostly to clean up extra food and stir sand I know they won't eat the algae.... Should I try to stir the sand more often I usually do it once a week with a water change I gotta do one today I didn't get to it yesterday
You can… if you have a gravel vac and a filter sock you can clean your sand and recycle the water into the sump while catching the majority of the nasties.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
cerith snails, conch (fighting or tiger/strawberry), and if you're looking for a fish to help: hector's goby or court jester goby.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cerith snails, conch (fighting or tiger/strawberry), and if you're looking for a fish to help: hector's goby or court jester goby.
Just be aware that some gobbies will also throw the sand on corals.

Some wrasses also somewhat stir the sand when they hide in it, but aren’t very effective for this purpose.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can… if you have a gravel vac and a filter sock you can clean your sand and recycle the water into the sump while catching the majority of the nasties.
I try to gravel vac but it's heavier than the sand I usually take sand along with it I suppose that is normal sometimes though it's been going on for long enough that I need to add a lil more sand

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have to be a small goby for only 20g I've thought about it but I worry it wouldn't have enough sand to sift I have a decorative sand bed it's less than an inch

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It would have to be a small goby for only 20g I've thought about it but I worry it wouldn't have enough sand to sift I have a decorative sand bed it's less than an inch
they stay small and don't swim munch aside from the grazing they do all throughout the tank. one will be fine in a 20G. and don't worry about there not being enough sand, they graze on rocks/glass as well.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to gravel vac but it's heavier than the sand I usually take sand along with it I suppose that is normal sometimes though it's been going on for long enough that I need to add a lil more sand
If you use a filter sock to catch everything in the sump and feed the gravel vac hose into it you can repurpose the sand also.. empty it from the sock and give it a good rinse in a strainer etc and put it back in.. or add new that works also.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they stay small and don't swim munch aside from the grazing they do all throughout the tank. one will be fine in a 20G. and don't worry about there not being enough sand, they graze on rocks/glass as well.
Thanks I'll have to look into this

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me- Nassarius and trochus

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should gravel vac your sandbed every time you change water. Some Microbacter would probably help you out too.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for conches.

Have 2 tiger conches and they seem to eat just about anything, even stuff like green cyano that most of the rest of my CUC ignored. Past tense, as they ate it all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back