A DIY refugium addition to a small sump

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

This will be my first thread. I wanted to post the construction of my refugium because I have not seen a similar setup. Although the idea is well out there to have a separate compartment for a refugium. Thus, the uniqueness of this setup is not the idea, but the execution in my view.

I started a few month back with the terrible idea to start a mixed reef on a CORNER, tempered glass (not drilled) 54 gallon aquarium. Of course, being a corner aquarium, the cabinet size is ridiculously miniscule (There a a ton of threads on which sump to fit, etc).

Anyways, terrible combination, but I like challenges. I cleaned the cabinet, repainted and put white vynil coating on the inside (also siliconed the sides with aquarium silicone I white). It helps with a small spill, but its not 100% waterproof.

First off, I did my plumbing, using a CPR overflow box (used, but functional). I have 1 drain go down to an RS-75 Eshopps sump (Yes, I left the DIY for the rest, sorry guys)... PS: the sump was supposed to be all white but because of a mis-ap in shipment (arrived broken), I got a 4th gen one instead which is yellow...

Then, on the return, I added a T where it branches to the display or to.... a ball valve. (See images).

Now, for the fun part: I took an old pentagonal plastic betta tank (one of these old cheap things that should not be sold for fish-keeping) and added a side bulkhead. I covered 3 out of 5 sides with white vynil and made an acrylic top. (Also painted the plastic rims red to match the paint of the PVC I did.

I then placed the return line that goes all-the-way to the bottom of the plastic box, and the water overflows on the bulhead to return to the sump.

See next post for results.

20191117_145514.jpg 20191117_145517.jpg 20191214_121120.jpg 20191215_155210.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a while to find the lamp I wanted, given the weird setup. I found them on amazon, these are 2 LED for plant growth with 3 settings and a 3, 6 or 12 hours mode. (Super cheap by the way).

The flow is controlled by the pvc valve, but is limited to the size of the return line (1/2 inch) which I may increase on the long run because the bulkhead is 3/4 inch. I just used 1/2 because I had the proper connector on hand.

Now for the results, 4 months in:

.... cannot detect phosphates and nitrates. (I am also running a Eshopps X-120 which I LOVE) and carbon.

Now this is a problem, as I aim to have at least 5 ppm nitrates and trace phosphates. Of course, the test I use, Red Sea Pro Nitrate and Phosphates is limited as it is colorimetric. But anyways, I started dosing a little. With time, will it be too small ? maybe, but it is not filtering by itself.

I have the lights on 12hrs reverse cycle, Cheato in the refugium along with aquaforest biomedia and a ton of pods (seeded them a few months back and they love it).

SO this is my DIY refugium for a weird space. It keeps it clean and tighty. Left space for a media reactor or dosing.

Thanks for watching. Any comment appreciated!

20200430_193032.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Time will tell if it will be sufficient.

I don't plan on overstocking the tank anyways. I like the use of negative space in tanks. I think it gives perspective. I particularly like how the Australians and (some) Germans do their tanks.

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fernthereefer

Hey there nice setup, really like the minimal scape.

quick question for you — do you by chance have a measurement for the length of your RS-75 sump?

some places say 18” long and some say 20” long — I’m working with a super tight space so just want to know if it would fit my system.

thanks keep up the great work!

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fernthereefer

Hey there nice setup, really like the minimal scape.

quick question for you — do you by chance have a measurement for the length of your RS-75 sump?

some places say 18” long and some say 20” long — I’m working with a super tight space so just want to know if it would fit my system.

thanks keep up the great work!

Thanks.

So I just measured the RS-75 I have. Its the latest 4th gen (yellow acrylic). Its 18" by 10".

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love what you came up with. I keep thinking about how to add a small seperate fuge to my system as well. One question/concern? If you were to have a power outage and the return pump shuts off, does that fuge siphon back into the sump through your bottom flow design?

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stand alone ~8 gallon refugium that is being plumbed into a Trigger sump. I sourced a Chinese red-blue grow light which fits the fuge’s ‘window’ almost perfectly. The light is a 40 watt flat panel. If it doesn’t work well enough, I’ll upsize it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done sir.
The results might speak for themselves.
Those pods will be blind, I also have a pink horticulture light close the the water in my fuge.
You might have to block the light spill to minimize coraline and other algea in the mechanical section.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to build an enclosure for the LED, to trap the light so it’s all coupled into the fuge’s window.

Also, this system has two separate tanks and 3 separate stands. The fuge goes into its own stand, separate from the sump. They are IM50 & IM25 EXT Lagoons. The 50 is a display & 25 frags. Apex goes in 3rd stand.

Also, might eventually add a 3rd small tank. I’ve wanted a pair of Jawfish ever since I was a kid. They are just too stinkin cute! Little comics, those guys ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love what you came up with. I keep thinking about how to add a small seperate fuge to my system as well. One question/concern? If you were to have a power outage and the return pump shuts off, does that fuge siphon back into the sump through your bottom flow design?

No, because I placed it over the sump, it flows downwards.

Moreover, I made a hole in the return tube to the sump, where you see the tube go down.
Tested it multiple times, no problem so far.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge has 2 overflows, a primary & backup. Was planning to also put an Apex optical overflow sensor on it, until I read their reviews.

It’s a Lifereef Liferefugium, 7.8 gal size about 9% of system volume.

Last edited:

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

So I just measured the RS-75 I have. Its the latest 4th gen (yellow acrylic). Its 18" by 10".

awesome thanks for the measurement, the website is wrong and lists the length as 20” — 18 will fit way better in my cabinet.

thanks again!

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update on the refugium:

Everything is holding out, but I realized that the cheap grow light LED I bought for it from amazon may be causing issues in the tank. *I am waiting for an ICP test. Long story short, I realized my sps started slowly bleaching recently. I went through the usual list of suspects (PO4, Nitrates, Alk or calcium swings, etc) and did not have a clear answer... until I realized that the arms of the LED lamps are rusting big time.

THese are the black arms you see passing over the sump and the small refugium. So I had to remove them and am currently looking for an alternative.

As soon as the ICP test comes in I will show the value. regardless, any ideas on an alternative that could fit the "peculiar" refugium I made ? Not an easy one I fear.....

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.

Yep, the ICP came back with high aluminium and antimony. Lost a few corals, but aggressive water changes and Seachem cuprisorb and Rox carbon saved the rest. Guess its the risk of DIY setups!

So I decided to remove all metal from the lamps. Turned out easier than I though. Now the refugium is back on track.

After increasing the feedings (added an automatic feeder) and fish stock in the tank, I now stand at a rock solid 0.25 ppm Nitrates and 0.02 ppm PO4. It is low, but acceptable in my view, especially since it as been solid for the past 3 months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back