OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd come and make an update to this thread.

Won't be able to post much for a while... Suffered some big losses in the Texas winter storms/power outages and a lot of water damage from a neighbor... Shame.

Trying to pick up the pieces AND ship the remaining orders I have, unfortunately I'm being caught between UPS shutting down, suppliers getting stuck and obviously having to deal with home stuff.

I'll hopefully have some updates and success in the next few months.

WestCoastCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd come and make an update to this thread.

Won't be able to post much for a while... Suffered some big losses in the Texas winter storms/power outages and a lot of water damage from a neighbor... Shame.

Trying to pick up the pieces AND ship the remaining orders I have, unfortunately I'm being caught between UPS shutting down, suppliers getting stuck and obviously having to deal with home stuff.

I'll hopefully have some updates and success in the next few months.
Wishing you all the best! I am sure it is all going to workout!

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow
Sitting Milwaukee Bucks GIF

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update coming this week, sorry for the lack of content, just haven't felt like it and everything has been changing constantly.

Second tank is in, coral QT setup, new lighting, more gear, etc.

PXL_20210524_174943424.jpg

Shaggymc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Time for a new build thread!

As some of you may have seen, in early 2020 I built a 10 gallon tank, with an 8 gallon frag tank and 12 gallon sump. Link here!

Well, pretty quickly what was intended to be a nice display, with a little room for frags to sit.... became a full work tank. I ended up having over 150 frags in there!

PXL_20201103_224706611.jpg PXL_20201113_161422823.jpg

So, as always I just HAVE to upgrade... right? Being a fabricator and having a depressingly large amount of time on my hands this year, I got to work planning a new system.

Thankfully having sold 20-30 frags in the last week, I've managed to convince the wife that she should let me use some of the walk in closet (space is at a premium in an apartment) to install a new system... Still can't believe she said yes!

So, here it is! The new frag system. This should do me well for the next year or two until things level out and we can begin house hunting.

Lowboy Fish Room v142.jpg

NOW before anyone asks, yes I am confident with putting that much weight there, we're on the second floor but this spot shares a wall with the concrete staircase outside, a bathtub next to it, and we've actually had about 600lb of junk sitting there for the last 2 years anyway. I've done the math and I feel safe. I wouldn't go any bigger, but this works.

So, obviously this is just a 3D render...

I am waiting on my LFS (hopefully this week) to start their annual tank sale so I can pickup a lowboy! The lowboy is going to make up the top section.

I've also order all the plumbing, and some special parts from my first and possibly only sponsor, SendCutSend!

SendCutSend are awesome, they're honestly my favorite company to work with. I use them a LOT in my day job (fabricator/design engineer) and my other hobbies including robot combat... So I reached out and they were thrilled to help support the build and help me introduce them to the reefing world. I really think there is a lot of space for them in this hobby!

SendCutSend basically allow you to draw something in a 2D or 3D program, upload a file of it to their site, select from a crazy range of materials, and then within HONESTLY a couple of days you'll have your parts at your door. I am always blown away by the quality and speed. Their team is awesome. Here is some other stuff I've used them for...

Some knives I had cut for gifts, and my 1lb combat robot "Entirely Harmless"

IMG_20200707_150703.jpg IMG_20200315_232048.jpg

Anyway, I will be using aluminum extrusion for the stand. This material is awesome and I am so glad its becoming more common in our hobby. I am going to be using
2020 series (20mm x 20mm) for this build to allow me as much size/space and weight savings as possible. Having worked with it before I am confident in the weight holding too.

Capture.JPG

But as you'll notice, I have added a series of brackets to each corner, these are being cut from stainless steel and should add massive strength and good durability in even a salty environment.

Capture3.JPG

I've also designed some special brackets to show off some of the things you can do with laser cut metal. These will be aluminum as they'll be wet a lot, and won't rust. A towel rack built right where I'll always want a towel, and then a handy little rack to hold tweezers, glue, and a cup for grabbing frags that need to be bagged. Coming soon will be some interesting ideas I have for making the bagging and shipping of coral way faster, easier and better!

Capture2.JPG

So, here we are... the start of a very cool build. I am excited to share it as it comes together! I'll rapid fire some key points below...

- Top is a 50 gallon lowboy with a corner overflow, super simple. This tank will be high light and high flow for SPS.
- Lowboy will drain into the approx. 25 gallon frag tank below which will be just for softies and LPS. Low light, low flow.
- YES I KNOW THE PLUMBING ISN'T PERFECT. This is purely a visualization. Lots more work to come.
- The sump is totally unknown at this point... I am playing with an idea for a chaeto tumbler, or maybe a bucket fuge... we'll see!
- ALL the equipment is up in the air right now too. This is still very much a side business, so I'll be saving money however I can.

Lastly I just want to explain that this project will go in stages, as I sell frags to fund it... I plan on drilling and plumbing the lowboy, but running it as an AIO for a couple of months, then I will buy the acrylic and build the middle tank and run that as a loop, and then finally I will add the sump and connect it all.

Stage 1: Lowboy AIO
Stage 2: Lowboy with frag loop
Stage 3: Full build with sump

Well, with that I have some work to do, and some Christmas ham to eat! Hope everyone is having a wonderful holidays and I look forward to sharing this build!
Fellow Robot builder here! Just saw your post.

I’m Shaggy. I built Moebius and Bonesaw and am currently on Team IceWave…. I imagine we have some other forums in common.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back